Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Install MATE 1.8 complete desktop environment in OpenSUSE 13.1

Question How to Install MATE 1.8 complete desktop environment in OpenSUSE 13.1

Hello,

After hours of looking around I don't seem to find an easy way to install the complete MATE 1.8 DE on openSUSE 13.1. I've added the X11:MATE:Current repo per instructions here: https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:MATE/Install. But there doesn't seem to be a meta package like mate-core or mate-desktop-environment that would install the core set of applications to provide a basic functional MATE desktop.

zypper install mate-desktop only installs that one package and doesn't automatically include any core ones like like the mate window manager, control center, power manager etc...

Do I have to install every MATE package by manually selecting them in Yast > Software Management?

By the way I'm running OpenSUSE 13.1 KDE.

Thanks!

Default Re: How to Install MATE 1.8 complete desktop environment in OpenSUSE 13.1

I am also installing MATE (stable -1.6) currently using this blog: http://hacklog.in/opensuse-13-1-rc1-...op-experiment/
    If you want to use 13.1 repo instead of tumbleweed (as mentioned there) then use this:
    Code:
    sudo zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/MATE:/STABLE:/1.6/openSUSE_13.1/ "MATE 1.6 (openSUSE_13.1)"

Then
    Code:
    sudo zypper ref "MATE 1.6 (openSUSE_13.1)"
    sudo zypper in -t pattern mate-desktop-environment

Rest, do as he described it there and post results.

Default Re: How to Install MATE 1.8 complete desktop environment in OpenSUSE 13.1

and ~/.xinitrc doesn't exist. We have to create it by ourselves. Use "sudo zypper in nano" to install nano editor as its easy. Then "sudo nano ~/.xinitrc" will let you create the file and you can write and save what he mentioned there.
    I installed it successfully, it running okay, have to correct the fonts though as they are unreadble as kde.
    goodluck.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlamin View Post
    Then "sudo nano ~/.xinitrc" will let you create the file and you can write and save what he mentioned there.
    DON'T use sudo for that!

~/.xinitrd is a _user_ configuration file in your _user_'s home directory. No need to create that as root.
    It should be owned by your user anyway.

And I would say, you don't even have to create that ~/.xinitrc at all.

On openSUSE, $WINDOWMANAGER is normally set by the xdm init script.
    Just setting the default windowmanager in /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager (DEFAULT_WM="mate") should suffice, and would affect _all_ users.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 12-May-2014 at 03:06.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    DON'T use sudo for that!

~/.xinitrd is a _user_ configuration file in your _user_'s home directory. No need to create that as root.
    It should be owned by your user anyway.

And I would say, you don't even have to create that ~/.xinitrc at all.

On openSUSE, $WINDOWMANAGER is normally set by the xdm init script.
    Just setting the default windowmanager in /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager (DEFAULT_WM="mate") should suffice, and would affect _all_ users.
    You are wrong that changing /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager gonna make it right. I tried this and it threw me in x-server mode.
    Then in x minimal mode itself, I had to edit back DEFAULT_WM="twm" and then recreate the ~/.xinitrc file, this time without sudo, like you said.

And, I have Intel HD video, mate created tearing while video playbacks. So, I had to do make a file "etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf" and write this:
    Code:
    Section "Device"  Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
      Driver      "intel"
      Option      "TearFree" "true"
    EndSection

sources for this solution:
    https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=6270.0
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ear-free_video

Quote Originally Posted by ianlamin View Post
    You are wrong that changing /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager gonna make it right.
    Well, how are you starting X then?

My /etc/init.d/xdm has this:
    Code:
    test -z "$DEFAULT_WM" && DEFAULT_WM=twm

if test -z "$WINDOWMANAGER" ; then
        SAVEPATH=$PATH
        PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/openwin/bin
        desktop=/usr/share/xsessions/${DEFAULT_WM}.desktop

if test -s "$desktop" ; then
            while read -r line; do
                case ${line} in
                Exec=*) WINDOWMANAGER="$(command -v ${line#Exec=})"
                        break
                esac
            done < $desktop
        fi
        if test -n "$DEFAULT_WM" -a -z "$WINDOWMANAGER" ; then
            WINDOWMANAGER="$(command -v ${DEFAULT_WM##*/})"
        fi
        PATH=$SAVEPATH
        unset SAVEPATH desktop
    fi
    unset DEFAULT_WM
    export WINDOWMANAGER
    Which obviously gets the name of the session's .desktop file (in /usr/share/xsessions/) from $DEFAULT_WM and sets $WINDOWMANAGER according to the "Exec=" line in that file.

If you do set $WINDOWMANAGER somewhere else already, this is not done of course.

If $DEFAULT_WM is undefined, it is set to "twm", so maybe you had a typo somewhere?

I haven't tried out Mate myself, but that's the way how it works with any other desktop environment. And Mate does contain an /usr/share/xsessions/mate.desktop file as well. Do you have that? I think it's included in the mate-session-manager package.

As mentioned here http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_HD_Graphics and on archwiki page also that "tearfree" may have power consuming effect, so I added following parameters in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in file /etc/default/grub:
    Code:
    i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.semaphores=1 pcie_aspm=force
    and then did:
    Code:
    grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. But I was looking for a package for version 1.8 not 1.6. And looks like 1.8 does not have a meta package like mate-desktop-environment as of now in OpenSUSE 13.1.

I will start with a minimal X windows install and pull in packages. The problem is its easy (as has happened to me before) to skip some required packages which are core for a functional desktop and I've ended up with a broken desktop with no clue as to what ones I may have missed. But I will try and maybe post my results soon if I can get it working.

Meanwhile if someone has already had success starting with a minimal system and building it up from there, please do post your experience/instructions.

Cheers!

@ianlamin:
    FYI, I did install MATE 1.6 now.
    And after setting DEFAULT_WM="mate" in /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager it did start fine here, without an ~/.xinitrc, even when using xdm.

OTOH, lightdm allows you to select the session you want to login to, just like kdm and gdm, so there's actually no need to either change /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager nor create ~/.xinitrc. Just choose MATE on the login screen...

Quote Originally Posted by justauser7 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. But I was looking for a package for version 1.8 not 1.6. And looks like 1.8 does not have a meta package like mate-desktop-environment as of now in OpenSUSE 13.1.
    You're right, sorry for being off-topic.
    TBH, I didn't notice the different version numbers at first when I replied.

Unfortunately you are right, there is no pattern available for X11:Mate:Current.
    You could use YaST's repo view to select the packages.

The critical packages seem to be those:
    mate-window-manager, mate-session-manager, mate-settings-daemon, mate-desktop, mate-panel, mate-notification-daemon, mate-keyring, mate-icon-theme, mate-dialogs, mate-control-center, mate-backgrounds
    Those are installed by the mate-core pattern.

mate-desktop-environment contains those in addition:
    mate-document-viewer, mate-file-archiver, mate-text-editor, mate-image-viewer, mate-power-manager, mate-screensaver, mate-calc, mate-utils, mate-applets, mate-character-map, mate-media, mate-terminal, mate-theme, mate-system-monitor, mate-indicator-applet, mate-menus.
    Most of those are not really necessary to start/use Mate though.

You could of course also install 1.6 with the pattern, then change the repo URL (or remove 1.6 and add Current), and then do a "zypper dup --from X11:MATE:Current" (or whatever you named the repo).

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    You could of course also install 1.6 with the pattern, then change the repo URL (or remove 1.6 and add Current), and then do a "zypper dup --from X11:MATE:Current" (or whatever you named the repo).
    FYI, I tried that now.
    I installed Mate 1.6 using the pattern earlier (exactly like written in http://forums.opensuse.org/showthrea...38#post2642638), and now I just changed the repo URL, selected the repo in YaST and clicked on "Switch all system packages to the versions in this repository" (i.e. the same as "zypper dup --from X11:MATE:Current").

I had to solve a few conflicts, because some things got renamed, the old versions had to be uninstalled.
    Those things were missing of course, but I got a functional desktop.

The things that got uninstalled without replacement were those:
    mate-file-manager (now named "caja"), mate-image-viewer (now "eom"), mate-document-viewer ("atril")
    So you might want to install them manually afterwards.

But as I said, those are not really critical, MATE itself worked and was useable, so it's no problem to install them afterwards.

If you really want to have _everything_ that MATE (and the repo) includes, then you don't have a need for a pattern anyway.
    Just use YaST's repository view to see all packages from that repo and then just install all of them (right-click on the package list and select "All in this list"->"Install" or call the same function in the "Packages" menu)...

Of course I did not start with a minimal installation, but I think this would work the same, because the MATE pattern (or installing everything from the MATE repo) should take care of the necessary stuff.

One note though: I suppose the minimal install uses xdm as login manager, but this does not allow to choose the desktop session.
    So you either should install and use a different login manager like lightdm, or set MATE as the default session in /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager, as written earlier.

Again, there's no need for a ~/.xinitrc to start MATE, and I would not recommend it.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 12-May-2014 at 15:06.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast