Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: I made a blunder

  1. #1

    Default I made a blunder

    Hi again, and thx as usual for reading this post.

    On my Athlon II equiped with a Radeon 4350, I tried to change the default Mesa/Gallium 3d architecture with the proprietary catalyst 14.4 from the geeko.ioda.net repo. The Mesa/gallium worked fine but I wasn't able to play with half-life II, which demands opengl 2.0 or more.

    Unfortunately, the installed fglrx driver didn't work, and I removed the corresponding installed rpm package, but I'm still unable to retrieve the previous config with Mesa/Gallium. I always get vesa display.

    How to restore the std config, or where/how do I get a possible working catalyst stuff for my card ?

    When doing modprobe radeon, I get:

    FATAL: Error inserting radeon (/lib/modules/3.11.10-7-desktop/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko): Invalid argument

    The better is the enemy of the good

  2. #2

    Default Re: I made a blunder

    Quote Originally Posted by lader1 View Post
    On my Athlon II equiped with a Radeon 4350, I tried to change the default Mesa/Gallium 3d architecture with the proprietary catalyst 14.4 from the geeko.ioda.net repo.
    The fglrx driver DOES NOT support your card.

    The Mesa/gallium worked fine but I wasn't able to play with half-life II, which demands opengl 2.0 or more.
    The radeon driver (Mesa/gallium) _should_ support OpenGL 2.0 or higher. It supports 2.1 on my Radeon 9600 card even.

    How to restore the std config, or where/how do I get a possible working catalyst stuff for my card ?
    Removing the RPM should actually suffice.

    Please check that you have the following setting in /etc/sysconfig/kernel:
    Code:
    NO_KMS_IN_INITRD="no"
    If that is set to "yes" change it accordingly and call:
    Code:
    sudo /sbin/mkinitrd

  3. #3

    Default Re: I made a blunder

    thx for the tip.

    Ok, I wanted to say the legacy driver: I found out a script: makerpm-amd-13.1-legacy.sh, which tries to download amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.zip, but this file seems to be unavailable. Is it still a way to install the legacy on my os 13.1 ?

  4. #4

    Default AW: Re: I made a blunder

    Quote Originally Posted by lader1 View Post
    Ok, I wanted to say the legacy driver: I found out a script: makerpm-amd-13.1-legacy.sh, which tries to download amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.zip, but this file seems to be unavailable. Is it still a way to install the legacy on my os 13.1 ?
    No.
    The legacy driver DOES NOT WORK AT ALL on openSUSE 12.3 and up, because the Xorg is too new (and the kernel as well perhaps).

    See also http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx_legacy:
    This drivers will NEVER work for 12.3 or 13.1 due to changes in the kernel and xorg.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 10-May-2014 at 15:25.

  5. #5

    Default Re: I made a blunder

    Ok, never mind. Thx anyway for the help

  6. #6

    Default Re: I made a blunder

    Quote Originally Posted by lader1 View Post
    Ok, never mind. Thx anyway for the help
    So, does the radeon driver work now again?

    What output do you get from this? (you have to install the package "Mesa-demo-x" first)
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep OpenGL

  7. #7

    Default Re: I made a blunder

    glxinfo | grep OpenGL
    OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710
    OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 9.2.3
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.40
    OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
    OpenGL core profile extensions:
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.3
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
    OpenGL context flags: (none)
    OpenGL extensions:

    But Half-Life II complains that quite a few extensions are not available

  8. #8

    Default Re: I made a blunder

    Quote Originally Posted by lader1 View Post
    glxinfo | grep OpenGL
    OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710
    OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 9.2.3
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.40
    OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
    OpenGL core profile extensions:
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.3
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
    OpenGL context flags: (none)
    OpenGL extensions:
    That would mean that the radeon driver even supports OpenGL 3 on your card.

    But Half-Life II complains that quite a few extensions are not available
    No idea whether you can get this to work then.

    But you could try the latest version of the kernel, Xorg, Mesa and the radeon driver.
    You can get the latest stable kernel here:
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...able/standard/

    To install the latest graphics stack do this:
    Code:
    sudo zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_13.1 X11:XOrg
    sudo zypper dup --from X11:XOrg
    I think this should work. See f.e. a comment from here: http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/commen...radeon_driver/
    I played Portal and Half life 2 on Linux a few days ago (the native Linux versions from Steam). Absolutely smooth, even if graphics settings were raised to the highest extent possible! Except for anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering - I am not sure what their current status is. I am aware that these 2 will make a big difference, so I will have to test again with them enabled.

    This was on the open source drivers, with Mesa 9.2.1 and the Linux 3.11 kernel (I am running Arch Linux).
    The games must be really well written! (Well, Portal is mostly in closed rooms, so it would actually perform quite well)



    (although he doesn't mention which card he was using...)


  9. #9

    Default Re: I made a blunder

    upgraded x11 and mesa as suggested, but nada. I wonder if the gallium driver for the RV710 gpu iscomplete. However it works fine with the old doom3, though

  10. #10

    Default Re: I made a blunder

    Quote Originally Posted by lader1 View Post
    upgraded x11 and mesa as suggested, but nada. I wonder if the gallium driver for the RV710 gpu iscomplete. However it works fine with the old doom3, though
    Did you also install and boot the latest kernel?
    Part of the radeon driver is in the kernel package, although I don't think this would make a difference in this case.

    What error message are you actually getting?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •