Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparing for new install on new desktop....

Default Preparing for new install on new desktop....

Hi guys,

I've just ordered a new desktop which has me concerned on a few things regards to install. The tower will be hooked up (via HDMI) to a Samsung TV and I plan to do the installation via this set up. The first concern is the fact it has NVidia GT 630 1GB graphics card, and the 2nd is I plan on dual booting with the pre-installed Windows 8.1.

The spec is as follows.....

Case ZALMAN Z11 PLUS BLACK MID TOWER CASE
    Processor (CPU) AMD FX-6350 Six Core CPU (4.2/3.9GHZ - 8MB CACHE/AM3+)
    Motherboard Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 AM3+ (ATX, DDR3, USB 3.0, 6Gb/s)
    Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (1 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 630 - DVI, HDMI, VGA - 3D Vision Ready
    2nd Graphics Card NONE
    3rd Graphics Card NONE
    1st Hard Disk 120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
    2nd Hard Disk 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
    RAID NONE
    1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
    2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE
    Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
    Power Supply CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
    Processor Cooling CoolerMaster Seidon 120V High Performance CPU Cooler
    Extra Case Fans NONE
    Fan Controller NONE
    Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
    Wireless/Wired Networking 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
    Wireless Router/HomePlugs NONE
    USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

So when I plug the computer in via HDMI to the TV will the BIOS come on through the TV? Secondly, with having that graphics card, what can I expect with respect to installation, as I understand NVidia drivers aren't able to be pre-installed....so what will happen and to install it (if I can get any "image" up at all?) do I just go here:

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers

and choose the 1click install?

If anyone could highlight any other potential issues I'd be very grateful! The windows will be pre-installed on the 120GB SSD drive....am I best off partitioning this and also installing linux on this (say 8GB swap and 20GB for root partition) and then using the 1TB drive for /home (as well as my windows documents)?

Many, many thanks in advance

Ross

Blog Entries

Default Re: Preparing for new install on new desktop....

Can say about HDMI.

I never use Oneclick.

Pre install shouldn't be an issue and even once install is complete it should boot a full desktop

I run all updates, reboot and then add the nvidia repo. The open software management and the driver should be added ready to install.
    Run it
    Reboot

I do all my partitioning first! Usually with parted magic.

Your MB isn't efi from what I can see, so it's pretty traditional and simple
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thestig View Post
    If anyone could highlight any other potential issues I'd be very grateful!
    The computer almost certainly use UEFI, and Windows will be installed using UEFI.

I'm not sure what problems you will have with that. Not too long ago, installing linux was said to brick a Samsung computer. But I'm pretty sure that Samsung has fixed that, and the UEFI handling in current linux kernels tries to avoid the problem anyway.

For the NVIDIA problems -- if you get a black screen on the installer, then you will have to deal with that prior to install. In that case, assuming UEFI boot, hit the 'e' key on the grub boot menu. That will put you into an editor. Scroll to the line with "linuxefi", and add "nomodeset" at the end of the line. That should avoid NVIDIA problems, though the graphics quality will be poor until you later install NVIDIA drivers.

If you run into UEFI problems (such as the computer insists on only booting Windows), then start a new thread here with "Samsung UEFI" as part of the thread title.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

thanks chaps, I'm really looking forward to getting it. I do a lot of video encoding so I reckon I'll notice a big difference from my current workhorse.....a 7 year old laptop with dual core @ 2.00GHz and 2GB RAM

Worst comes to worst, if I can't get it to work, maybe some kind fellow on here wouldn't mind earning some cash

Thanks chaps, been a while since I've been on this forum (haven't changed machines and updating it to 13.1 6 months or so ago was very easy....but you're all just as kind, friendly and as helpful as you've ever been - what a community

I don't know about the HDMI, but I do know that with a tv connected to the S-Video and no local monitor, it would be a problem.

The display on the tv had a scrambled and unintelligible picture, much like a horizontal-hold problem that used to plague early tv models.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    I don't know about the HDMI, but I do know that with a tv connected to the S-Video and no local monitor, it would be a problem.

The display on the tv had a scrambled and unintelligible picture, much like a horizontal-hold problem that used to plague early tv models.
    Worst case scenario I do have a VGA cable which can be connected to the TV which shouldn't(!!!!!!???) be a problem.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    The computer almost certainly use UEFI, and Windows will be installed using UEFI.

I'm not sure what problems you will have with that. Not too long ago, installing linux was said to brick a Samsung computer. But I'm pretty sure that Samsung has fixed that, and the UEFI handling in current linux kernels tries to avoid the problem anyway.

For the NVIDIA problems -- if you get a black screen on the installer, then you will have to deal with that prior to install. In that case, assuming UEFI boot, hit the 'e' key on the grub boot menu. That will put you into an editor. Scroll to the line with "linuxefi", and add "nomodeset" at the end of the line. That should avoid NVIDIA problems, though the graphics quality will be poor until you later install NVIDIA drivers.

If you run into UEFI problems (such as the computer insists on only booting Windows), then start a new thread here with "Samsung UEFI" as part of the thread title.
    I would expect that. Only when I initially googled the MB it didn't indicate that. But a later check suggests that there are several versions of the quoted MB. So it is likely you will have efi.

In which case expect to have fun
    You need to set up the correct partitioning with gdisk unless it already exists? Personally I much prefer to buy (or even better build a machine), and have Windows DVD to install myself.

The first thing you should do I guess is post your partitioning setup here, you just never know what weird and wonderful creation you will have.
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Blog Entries

Worst case scenario I do have a VGA cable which can be connected to the TV which shouldn't(!!!!!!???) be a problem.
    I wouldn't anticipate any problems here
    Leap 15.1_KDE

I will be getting a DVD of the windows 8.1 operating system along with the system as well.....does that make life easier for me?

Thanks

Blog Entries

I will be getting a DVD of the windows 8.1 operating system along with the system as well.....does that make life easier for me?

Thanks
    If it's a real install DVD - Yes

Just FYI. With a EFI board you must use GPT partitioning with Windows. That requires that you set the following with gdisk:
    sda1 type ef00 (260MB)
    then run mkfs.vfat -F 16 /dev/sda1

sda2 128MB type 0c01
    sda3 rest for windows type 0700

This assumes you plan to use the ssd for Windows

Install openSUSE to sdb
    Just remember to set: sda1 as /boot/efi NO FORMAT
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast