outline numbering tool in LibreOffice missing 'separator' features

In LibreOffice 4.1.5.3 (current in the OpenSuse 13.1 repository) I find that features in the Outline numbering tool are greyed out. I’ve used them before and wonder if anyone knows what’s happening. It is impossible to enter Before or After Separator in the numbering format. I want to add Article to Heading 1, Section to Heading 2, etc. Can’t get on the LibreOffice web site (it seem to require a ‘social network’ membership which I don’t have just to log in). Thanks.

I cannot replicate the problem with the 32bit version of the same release.

Works fine here as well, in the standard LibreOffice 4.1.5.3 on a 64bit KDE system.

What are your exact steps to reproduce the problem?

Does it work for a new user, or if you remove/rename ~/.config/libreoffice/ ?

Sort-of solved. As this screen capture shows
/home/konsultor/Downloads/LinuxFeatures/LibreOffice-invisibleSeparators.jpeg

the fields for the ‘before’ and ‘after’ separators are invisible. Didn’t find them earlier, when I clicked in the area where I thought they should be. Turns out, they are there, just further to the right than I thought. So with some ‘pin the tail on the donkey’ work I was able to enter the separators and all is well with the world (or at least with my document).

You should upload the picture to some sharing site like http://susepaste.org.
Nobody here can access it on your local hard disk… :wink:

the fields for the ‘before’ and ‘after’ separators are invisible. Didn’t find them earlier, when I clicked in the area where I thought they should be. Turns out, they are there, just further to the right than I thought. So with some ‘pin the tail on the donkey’ work I was able to enter the separators and all is well with the world (or at least with my document).

The buttons are visible here. Maybe some theming problem?

Are you using the KDE or the GNOME integration?

An here I thought the icon that said “Insert Image” meant the same as in a word processor and Craig’s List.
Tried the various themes available from Configure Desktop but the appearance was unchanged for the Outline Numbering dialog in LibreOffice. Perhaps when I have more time I’ll restart KDE and LO, in case theme changes don’t take effect immediately.
Thanks for all the responses.

Well, it works similar. But you cannot upload a picture to the forum, so it has to be accessible over the Internet.

Tried the various themes available from Configure Desktop but the appearance was unchanged for the Outline Numbering dialog in LibreOffice.

And where exactly did you change the theme?
With the KDE integration, LO uses the standard KDE theme, with the GNOME integration it uses the Gtk2 theme.
If you have ibus installed, LO uses the GNOME integration even on KDE (if you have libreoffice-gnome installed, if not it uses its own thing).

So, check whether you have ibus and/or libreoffice-gnome installed.
I don’t see the problem with the GNOME integration either, but maybe you’re using neither KDE nor GNOME.
But I cannot reproduce it in that case as well.

Perhaps when I have more time I’ll restart KDE and LO, in case theme changes don’t take effect immediately.

There should be no need to restart KDE.

Checking for installed software, libreoffice-gnome is not installed, nor is ibus (though libibus is).
My changes to theme are usually made from the Configure Desktop page, which is in the “start” menu, then Workspace Appearance. Have not yet played with Application Appearance, where I see there are many config options for GTK and other aspects.
Rebooted the machine with no apparent effect. It is still
http://flanagan-consulting.com/LibreOffice-invisibleSeparators.jpeg

Ok, but do you have libreoffice-kde4 installed?

My changes to theme are usually made from the Configure Desktop page, which is in the “start” menu, then Workspace Appearance.

“Workspace Appearance” only sets options for the workspace obviously. It doesn’t affect the look of applications.
You should try to change the “Style” in “Application Appearance”. What have you set there?

Have not yet played with Application Appearance, where I see there are many config options for GTK and other aspects.

You can ignore the GTK options, LO only uses them with the GNOME integration, i.e. libreoffice-gnome, which you don’t even have installed.

On your picture it would seem that the text fields would have grey as background, so maybe try to change the color scheme.
Another thought: are you maybe using the “GTK+” style for KDE? AFAIK that one can cause such color problems. And it’s mainly intended for running KDE applications inside GNOME, not to be used as KDE style.

Bingo! That must be the reason. I can reproduce your exact problem with the “Gtk+ style” in “Application Appearance”->“Style”.
So change that to something else, KDE’s native “Oxygen” f.e.
It doesn’t make sense to set “Gtk+ style” for KDE and then use gtk-oxygen in turn. Just use Oxygen directly, that’s designed for KDE.

Thank you, Wolfi. It was the GTK+ theme that caused the problem. Changed to Oxygen and the fields are clearly visible.