Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No sound whatsoever on 13.1 KDE

Default No sound whatsoever on 13.1 KDE

Hi guys. I am having a problem with audio lately. Everything was going peachy but now nothing plays. I have tried to run KMix but it doesn't open for whatever reason.

My laptop is a Gateway NV51 and runs FGLRX drivers, maybe that's the problem.

Default Re: No sound whatsoever on 13.1 KDE

Quote Originally Posted by Karmovorotin View Post
    Hi guys. I am having a problem with audio lately. Everything was going peachy but now nothing plays. I have tried to run KMix but it doesn't open for whatever reason.
    KMix should be started automatically when you login.
    And if you start it when it is already running, nothing happens.

Click on the icon in the system tray to open it.
    Or if you don't have that, kill kmix before you start it, maybe it is hanging.

To your actual problem, I take it you are using PulseAudio, right?
    Try the following:
    - remove the folder ~/.config/pulse/, and reconfigure your pulseaudio settings (output device f.e.) in KDE's audio settings or pavucontrol.
    - switch off PulseAudio as a test in YaST->Hardware->Sound->Other->PulseAudio Configuration and logout/reboot.

Do you get a test sound in YaST?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    KMix should be started automatically when you login.
    And if you start it when it is already running, nothing happens.

Click on the icon in the system tray to open it.
    Or if you don't have that, kill kmix before you start it, maybe it is hanging.

To your actual problem, I take it you are using PulseAudio, right?
    Try the following:
    - remove the folder ~/.config/pulse/, and reconfigure your pulseaudio settings (output device f.e.) in KDE's audio settings or pavucontrol.
    - switch off PulseAudio as a test in YaST->Hardware->Sound->Other->PulseAudio Configuration and logout/reboot.

Do you get a test sound in YaST?
    Nix klingt! No test sound, so I'm gonna try the nuclear option you suggest.

When this happens, what is showing in KDE's System Settings > Multimedia > Audio settings, in the Device Preferences' right hand panel?

BTW, for unknown reason my KMix failed to start on KDE startup this evening (has happened at least once before), but it started ok manually. I checked my system settings, and when this happens it unusually shows "PulseAudio Sound Server", so my audio device wasn't fully opened by KDE P/A support as normal. However I still have sound, tested via the "Audio Hardware Setup" tab, but also I had to switch "Connector" setting to Speakers.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Still, no sound. Maybe the drivers are broken, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    When this happens, what is showing in KDE's System Settings > Multimedia > Audio settings, in the Device Preferences' right hand panel?

BTW, for unknown reason my KMix failed to start on KDE startup this evening (has happened at least once before), but it started ok manually. I checked my system settings, and when this happens it unusually shows "PulseAudio Sound Server", so my audio device wasn't fully opened by KDE P/A support as normal. However I still have sound, tested via the "Audio Hardware Setup" tab.
    It shows a list of things:

-HDA ATI SB (CX20584 Analog)
    -HD-Audio Generic HDMI 0 (HDMI Audio Output)
    -PulseAudio Sound Server
    -HDA ATI SB, CX20584 Analog (Default udio Device)

What should show?

It shows a list of things:

-HDA ATI SB (CX20584 Analog)
    -HD-Audio Generic HDMI 0 (HDMI Audio Output)
    -PulseAudio Sound Server
    -HDA ATI SB, CX20584 Analog (Default udio Device)

What should show?
    IIRC it normally has a single "Internal Audio ..." listing i.e. just a single line. Are any of your hardware listings above actually greyed-out (indicates not active)?

PS. It might show "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" normally.

Run this command in terminal (normal user):
    Code:
    pacmd list-sinks | grep device.description
    What do you get reported?
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    IIRC it normally has a single "Internal Audio ..." listing i.e. just a single line. Are any of your hardware listings above actually greyed-out (indicates not active)?

PS. It might show "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" normally.

Run this command in terminal (normal user):
    Code:
    pacmd list-sinks | grep device.description
    What do you get reported?
    Here it is:
    Code:
    device.description = "Built-in Audio Digital Stereo (HDMI)"
                    device.description = "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo"
    Thing is, it plays audio on headphones now, and on HDMI it plays from VLC or Kaffeine, but not from web streaming videos.

P.S. Besides, now when changing volume with hardware keys it jumps by 4%, while it has always done it by 5%. This is so broken I'm tempted to wipe my openSUSE partition clean and start all over anew.

I am in complete panic now. I want to reset EVERYTHING sound-related to its default configuration and then start building from there. As luck would have it I fear that's not even remotely possible.

EDIT: As mysteriously as everything broke, now everything works fine.

Thank you all for your advice, I'll be here scratching my head until it hurts. Maybe a set of new updates could be responsible?

Here it is:
    Code:
    device.description = "Built-in Audio Digital Stereo (HDMI)"
                    device.description = "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo"
    Thing is, it plays audio on headphones now, and on HDMI it plays from VLC or Kaffeine, but not from web streaming videos.

P.S. Besides, now when changing volume with hardware keys it jumps by 4%, while it has always done it by 5%. This is so broken I'm tempted to wipe my openSUSE partition clean and start all over anew.
    Ok, normally that pacmd output (looks ok) should cross-reference with the device settings list in System Settings > Multimedia.

You didn't reply to my question re "greyed-out" entries in System Settings. Did you notice any?

What release of KDE are you on (4.13?)? My comments above refer to occasional issue on Tumbleweed system at KDE 4.12.4, but I will later double check my standard system (not at 4.13).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast