Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Opensuse 13.1 does not boot intro Gnome

  1. #1

    Default Opensuse 13.1 does not boot intro Gnome

    I installed Opensuse 13.1 but it simply does boot intro gnome. After a while it's entering run level 3, if i try init 5, it will just load but nothing will happen. The USB media is not corrupted I've checked it.
    I have a Acer Aspire V5-552g laptop.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Opensuse 13.1 does not boot intro Gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by danielmihaistoian View Post
    I installed Opensuse 13.1 but it simply does boot intro gnome. After a while it's entering run level 3, if i try init 5, it will just load but nothing will happen. The USB media is not corrupted I've checked it.
    I have a Acer Aspire V5-552g laptop.
    Did you try "Recovery Mode" already? ("Advanced Options" in the boot menu)

    What graphics card do you have?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Opensuse 13.1 does not boot intro Gnome

    I have a AMD Radeon HD 8750M, I am afraid to use the recovery mode because it use it on fedora and what hapend was that gnome utilized to much CPU.I tried fedora just to see if the problem was on opensuse or just gnome in general.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Opensuse 13.1 does not boot intro Gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by danielmihaistoian View Post
    I have a AMD Radeon HD 8750M, I am afraid to use the recovery mode because it use it on fedora and what hapend was that gnome utilized to much CPU.
    Yes, but you would at least get a graphical system.

    I would suggest to install the proprietary fglrx driver:
    http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx

  5. #5

    Default Re: Opensuse 13.1 does not boot intro Gnome

    Ok will try, but I will use the official AMD website, there I can find the latest version and Opensuse 13.1 it's on the supported platform list.
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ta-driver.aspx

  6. #6

    Default Re: Opensuse 13.1 does not boot intro Gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by danielmihaistoian View Post
    Ok will try, but I will use the official AMD website, there I can find the latest version and Opensuse 13.1 it's on the supported platform list.
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ta-driver.aspx
    I would not recommend that. You would have to reinstall the driver after every kernel update (and possibly other updates as well).
    And version 14.4 has been released already on May 2nd, so why would you want to install the release candidate from April?

    I'd rather install it from the repo (which does contain the latest 14.4), you would even get driver updates automatically.
    Or use Sebastian Siebert's makerpm-amd script, that downloads the latest driver, creates RPMs and installs them automatically.

    See also:
    http://lizards.opensuse.org/tag/ati/

    (btw, there's a repo for the latest beta driver as well, but at the moment this is _older_ than the latest stable version)

    PS: If you do insist on downloading the driver from the AMD homepage, take the released 14.4 instead of the release candidate:
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...easeNotes.aspx
    Last edited by wolfi323; 08-May-2014 at 07:59.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Opensuse 13.1 does not boot intro Gnome

    Oh yes I understand what you mean. but look on the 14.4 release notes it says it only supports opensuse 11.4 and 12.1. But I'm using 13.1

    http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...easeNotes.aspx

  8. #8

    Default Re: Opensuse 13.1 does not boot intro Gnome

    Quote Originally Posted by danielmihaistoian View Post
    Oh yes I understand what you mean. but look on the 14.4 release notes it says it only supports opensuse 11.4 and 12.1. But I'm using 13.1
    So what? Might be an error in the release notes.
    It should work fine on 13.1 (according to the system requirements mentioned).
    Why would the release candidate work on 13.1 and the final version not?

    Official 14.4 (final) packages are available for 13.1 in the repo, if you want to be on the safe side use those.
    Or use Sebastian Siebert's script as already mentioned, this also contains official patches for later kernel/Xorg versions and so on if necessary.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 08-May-2014 at 11:37.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,803

    Default Re: Opensuse 13.1 does not boot intro Gnome

    And no big deal if it does not work simply boot to recovery mode and remove the driver. But it should work.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Opensuse 13.1 does not boot intro Gnome

    From recovery mode I did a : "zypper dup" and the installed the fglrx drivers from opensuse and now I can boot in to my Gnome desktop. Thank you all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •