Current Netinstall image for x86_64 kernel panics

The current 13.1 netinstall iso image (as of 7.5.2014) crashes with a kernel panic. This is confirmed on two computers both of which have installed previous opensuse versions (12.2, 12.3).

Where something beside the call trace was readable the following error message was printed.

VFS: Cannot open root device … or unknown-block(0,0)

Following up, I would like to add that the 586 iso-image works fine.
The kernel panic occurs right after pressing “Installation” from the boot menu, apparantly when the ram-disk is to be mounted.

I just tested, and it seemed fine. I only tried with one computer. And this was the image that I had downloaded in November. However, checking a mirror, the file date is from November on that mirror.

Did you do a checksum on the downloaded iso?

[to be clear, I tested the x86_64 NET install image, which I put on a USB for the test]

I have previously successfully installed 13.1 netinstall somewhere end last year which worked fine. I now have redownloaded using meta-link twice and compared the files which were identical.

Your report above is that the crash is fairly early. Is there anything about the particular computers that could be involved? I only tried on one computer, but I can try a couple of others to see what happens.

On 05/08/2014 10:36 AM, dodydog wrote:
>
> I have previously successfully installed 13.1 netinstall somewhere end
> last year which worked fine. I now have redownloaded using meta-link
> twice and compared the files which were identical.

Yes, but did you check the md5sum? I have seen cases where the network
components would fail given a particular bit sequence. The transfer was
identical every time, but always wrong.

The 64bit Netinstall image worked fine on all 3 systems where I used it (none of them EFI though).
Two of them have been fresh installs, the other one already contained openSUSE 12.3 and I used it to upgrade.

The image itself should be fine, but maybe there’s a broken mirror somewhere? (this really sounds like a broken download)
To find out, you should calculate the MD5 checksum of the downloaded ISO and compare it to the correct one, as already suggested.

Try to download it directly from here:
http://suse.inode.at/opensuse/distribution/13.1/iso/
I just tried to boot that one on my system and it worked fine (up to the first YaST screen with the license agreement at least).

I’ve now tried it on 3 systems today. One of those was EFI. I aborted at the software license page on two of those tests. On the third, I aborted on the screen for setting up a WiFi connection.

I suspect either a bad download (seems to be denied) or a bad burn to CD.

Thanks for the suggestion. The md5/sha hashes are correct (this is also automatically checked when using meta-link). This leaves the USB stick as a possible culprit. I will report back.

The problem is solved. The USB stick was bad. Sorry for the commotion and thanks for the help.