Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Micro running colder than before when jumping to kernel 3.14

  1. #1

    Default Micro running colder than before when jumping to kernel 3.14

    Hi guys, this is just a personal impression so that's why I post it here and not in the tech help forums, since I don't want to take the place of someone who is really asking for help.

    Thing is, the dreadful Southern Spanish summer is coming and with it the typical 45ºC days that make our processors so much good. I had noticed that with the 3.11 kernel my laptop regularly reached 80ºC in the micro, which is calling for disaster. I updated to the 3.14 (if His Torvaldsness refuses to call it Pi, 3.14 it is) and after a couple days with the same results, a new release of patches that I installed immediately had an awesome effect: with the same usage, my micro rarely exceeds 70ºC, with no performance loss. Right now the temp is pegged at 61ºC, which in a 2011 laptop that still uses the factory thermal paste is quite good.

    I don't know if it's just a personal impression but it's a really awesome development. Just by updating a kernel you get a 10ºC+ cooling factor, which makes this upgrade not just metaphorically but literally cool! What do you make of that?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,331
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Micro running colder than before when jumping to kernel 3.14

    Hi
    What cpu?

    I get numerous laptops here that have nice collections of dust buildup between the fan case and the cooling fins causing over heating. Disassemble, clean fan assembly and new heatsink compound and re-assemble....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Micro running colder than before when jumping to kernel 3.14

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    What cpu?

    I get numerous laptops here that have nice collections of dust buildup between the fan case and the cooling fins causing over heating. Disassemble, clean fan assembly and new heatsink compound and re-assemble....
    It's a cheapo AMD E-350 APU with a Radeon HD6310 graphic integrated.

    I cleaned it up several months ago but didn't disassemble the fan from the CPU.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,331
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Micro running colder than before when jumping to kernel 3.14

    On Thu 08 May 2014 01:56:01 PM CDT, Karmovorotin wrote:


    malcolmlewis;2641878 Wrote:
    > Hi
    > What cpu?
    >
    > I get numerous laptops here that have nice collections of dust buildup
    > between the fan case and the cooling fins causing over heating.
    > Disassemble, clean fan assembly and new heatsink compound and
    > re-assemble....It's a cheapo AMD E-350 APU with a Radeon HD6310
    > graphic integrated.


    I cleaned it up several months ago but didn't disassemble the fan from
    the CPU.


    Hi
    OK, then you need to adjust the power profile to low, that should sort
    it out...
    http://software.opensuse.org/package...-power_profile

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Micro running colder than before when jumping to kernel 3.14

    On 2014-05-08 11:36, Karmovorotin wrote:
    >
    > Hi guys, this is just a personal impression so that's why I post it here
    > and not in the tech help forums, since I don't want to take the place of
    > someone who is really asking for help.
    >
    > Thing is, the dreadful Southern Spanish summer is coming and with it the
    > typical 45ºC days that make our processors so much good.


    You must live in the middle of the "pan". I seldom reach 40 in summer,
    but then it doesn't drop below 35, either.

    My laptop CPU doesn't run hot. But it is just a plain core2 duo, not top
    speed, plain Intel graphics... What gives me problems, I think, is the
    HD and perhaps the RAM (I had to replace the HD), so I use a plastic box
    with a big fan, and the laptop sits on top if I'm going to use it for 10
    minutes or more. It plugs into the USB socket, but I run it instead from
    the mains via an adaptor, in order not to stress the laptop power supply.

    The snag: it is noisy.


    > I don't know if it's just a personal impression but it's a really
    > awesome development. Just by updating a kernel you get a 10ºC+ cooling
    > factor, which makes this upgrade not just metaphorically but literally
    > cool! What do you make of that?


    Interesting :-)

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  6. #6

    Default Re: Micro running colder than before when jumping to kernel 3.14

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    OK, then you need to adjust the power profile to low, that should sort
    it out...
    http://software.opensuse.org/package...-power_profile

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!
    What do I have to do now? Add repo, install that systemd-radeon-power_profile and then what?

    Sorry, I'm a newbie to openSUSE and still get easily lost.

    P.S. I have tried running that on terminal and returns a "Command not found", same searching on the K-Menu.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,331
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Micro running colder than before when jumping to kernel 3.14

    On Thu 08 May 2014 03:26:01 PM CDT, Karmovorotin wrote:


    malcolmlewis;2641898 Wrote:
    > Hi
    > OK, then you need to adjust the power profile to low, that should sort
    > it out...
    > http://software.opensuse.org/package...-power_profile
    >


    systemd-radeon-power_profile and then what?

    Sorry, I'm a newbie to *openSUSE* and still get easily lost.
    Hi
    Download and install the rpm, then as root user;
    Code:
    systemctl status radeon-power_profile.service
    systemctl enable radeon-power_profile.service
    systemctl start radeon-power_profile.service
    Give it a bit of time and you should see the temperature drop....

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  8. #8

    Default Re: Micro running colder than before when jumping to kernel 3.14

    EDIT: I searched a bit and found out I have to open YaST and in System Monitor choose radeon-power_profile and set it to low, which is already the case. Nevertheless I have not noticed any significant change from before, micro is currently running at 66.1ºC.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Micro running colder than before when jumping to kernel 3.14

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Download and install the rpm, then as root user;
    Code:
    systemctl status radeon-power_profile.service
    systemctl enable radeon-power_profile.service
    systemctl start radeon-power_profile.service
    Give it a bit of time and you should see the temperature drop....

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!
    Thank you so much Malcolm! I see now that it was disabled, that's why it had no effect. Have run all those commands as root and temperature has fallen by 3 degrees in 2 minutes, pretty impressive! Did you code that tool? if so, you should be really proud of yourself, since I have noticed no performance loss at all.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,331
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Micro running colder than before when jumping to kernel 3.14

    Quote Originally Posted by Karmovorotin View Post
    Thank you so much Malcolm! I see now that it was disabled, that's why it had no effect. Have run all those commands as root and temperature has fallen by 3 degrees in 2 minutes, pretty impressive! Did you code that tool? if so, you should be really proud of yourself, since I have noticed no performance loss at all.
    Hi
    Only the openSUSE-efied systemd service, added a sysconfig and creating the rpm package, the actual information is here;

    http://tirdc.livejournal.com/28471.html
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •