I write and write, but things change,,,

on laptop msi ge620 dx:
    intel i5
    nvidia gt
    optimus laptop

the distribution managed to poison my optimus installation:
    - the bumblebee checkbox under user rights was disabled
    - by typing "/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2" the output was like this

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0116] (rev 09)
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device [1462:108d]
    Kernel driver in use: i915
    --
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF116M [GeForce GT 555M/635M] [10de:124d] (rev a1)
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. GeForce GT 555M [1462:108d]
    Kernel driver in use: fbnvidia nouveau

- nouveau was practically embedded, may be in an extreme effort to make things run at least under nouveau.

well, it was extremely difficult to disable the hardcoded nouveau, but finally I get:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0116] (rev 09)
    --
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF116M [GeForce GT 555M/635M] [10de:124d] (rev a1)
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. GeForce GT 555M [1462:108d]
    Kernel driver in use: nvidia

but now:

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> optirun
    [ 1823.987653] [ERROR]Missing argument: application to run
    Try `optirun --help' for more information.

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> optirun glxinfo
    [ 1863.492230] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the

[ 1863.492282] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.

###################################

any idea? where to find a working nvidia driver in repos filled with not working drivers? I don't find a working driver even by not optima laptops.
    thanks a lot
    Laptop: MSI 60 2PC | OpenSUSE 13.1 (x86_64) | KDE Current| Compiz 8.8 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU 3.2GHz | GTX850M | 8GB RAM

Default Re: opensuse 13.1 and nvidia gt

Hello Capodastro,

A few remarks.

You seem to think that these forums are a stage for discussions between you and wolfi323. This is not the case. These forums are a platform for all members. When you have a question/problem, you post here to all and the great thing is that answers will come forward from many. Some know better about other things then others, some will be sleeping or at work or at vacation. But all together we are going to try to help you.

Further, please use CODE tags around thecomputer output you post. You get the CODE tags by clicking on the # buton in the tool bar of the post editor. Copy/paste the compter text (prefarable the prompt, the command, the output and the next prompt) inj one sweep from the terminal in bwteen the tags.

Thanks for cooperating.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by Capodastro View Post
    Hi wolfi,
    I write and write, but things change,,,
    What do you mean with that?

- nouveau was practically embedded, may be in an extreme effort to make things run at least under nouveau.
    Well, nouveau is included in openSUSE, in the kernel package, just like radeon, intel, ...
    But it should be blacklisted (i.e. disabled) automatically when you install the nvidia driver packages.
    So how did you actually install the nvidia driver?

And openSUSE cannot ship nvidia because of license issues.

but now:

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> optirun
    [ 1823.987653] [ERROR]Missing argument: application to run
    Try `optirun --help' for more information.

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> optirun glxinfo
    [ 1863.492230] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the

[ 1863.492282] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.
    For some reason, the nvidia kernel module cannot be started.

I have no experience with Bumblebee (or Optimus systems), so I'm not sure whether I can help you.

First you should post your repo list, and which nvidia/kernel packages you have installed I suppose (there's more than one Bumblebee package floating around).
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    rpm -qa | egrep "kernel|nvidia"
    Maybe the kernel log contains a more meaningful error message:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep nvidia
    You could try to reinstall the nvidia kernel module package and post error messages that you possibly get:
    Code:
    zypper in -f dkms-nvidia
    Last edited by wolfi323; 08-May-2014 at 06:51.

dear hcvv,
    thanks for your right remarks! I assure you that by having a sound problem I would ask for help oldcpu!
    such moderators are not just experts, in my modest impression they think less and reflect much. they have also an uncommon human dimension. there is a point: I exposed some problems and still I don't have a solution, like to say "at this point my performed operations don't have any relevance because there is no positive result." I assure you that in case I will put down everything with all necessary explanations! also don't forget that we all do believe in the necessity of a good distribution and do what can be done...
    Laptop: MSI 60 2PC | OpenSUSE 13.1 (x86_64) | KDE Current| Compiz 8.8 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU 3.2GHz | GTX850M | 8GB RAM

first of all the used repositories, they are two:
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_13.1/

"I write and write, but things change,,,"
    2 years ago I posted the way I used set up bumblebee. I feel very frustrated.

"nouveau was practically embedded, may be in an extreme effort to make things run at least under nouveau."
    - the nvidia proprietary driver has under linux many legal issues which make a full collaboration with the distributions impossible.
    Moreover, the kernel is gpl, the driver proprietary: you can't embed proprietary code in a gpl code because then the last one
    will be no longer gpl. *buntu mounted a "crack" team hacking the nvidia driver and writing such a code for optimus laptops.
    we call that code bumblebee and everything happened by nvidia formally ignoring everything about. there was no other solution
    and my subjective impression is that *buntu didn't hack anything but rather got the code "anonymously".
    - Somebody reports that nouveau works with bumblebee: I'll check also this, it could be a good temporary solution. the problem is
    the boys army using the laptop also for 3d gaming: they will leave for *indows and I don't want that.
    - the attempt to uninstall nouveau uninstalled also mesa and the whole glx stuff. In this case I can call nouveau embedded,
    hardcoded or however you like. on my eyes it looks as a further effort to make this driver really working with bumblebee.
    I would do something like this only in a problematic situation. by observing the whole I get suspicious and tink: "well, is not so
    easy make nouveau work on code written for nvidia, or nouveau should be a kind of nvidia copy". Don't worry, is don't.

"So how did you actually install the nvidia driver?"
    - i putted in grub the kernel option "brokenmodules=nouveau"
    - I completely deleted the stuff from /home:/Knurpht
    - I completely deleted the stuff from home:/Bumblebee-Project
    - I downloaded the last driver from ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64
    - reboot in runlevel 3
    - installed the official nvidia driver, no dkms and just as helper to disable nouveau.
    - reboot
    - this time I got "Kernel driver in use: fbnvidia nouveau nvidia"
    - reboot in runlevel 3
    - uninstalled nvidia (used the installer --uninstall)
    - reboot
    - commented out every nouveau reference in "/etc/bumblebee/" substituting "nouveau" with "nvidia"
    /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf
    "Driver=nvidia"
    "KernelDriver=nvidia"
    - /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist-nouveau.conf "blacklist nouveau"
    /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf "blacklist nouveau"
    /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf "blacklist nouveau"
    - first the nvidia driver, then bumblebee
    reinstalled the whole stuff from /home:/Knurpht
    reinstalled the whole stuff from /home:/Bumblebee-Project
    NB: the two repos offer different driver versions: checked the 2 possible combinations with no success
    - rebooted 2 times and I got what already posted.

"For some reason, the nvidia kernel module cannot be started"
    - this remark is possibly decisive

"dmesg | grep nvidia" once more you are right, but what means that!?

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> dmesg | grep nvidia
    [ 2.505486] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
    [ 2.514193] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0006 -> 0007)
    [ 2.514577] [drm] Initialized nvidia-drm 0.0.0 20130102 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 0
    [ 34.720913] bbswitch: device 0000:01:00.0 is in use by driver 'nvidia', refusing OFF
    msi_user@linux-q2ld:~>

well, now I need a moment time to try your advices, anyway I keep 3 backups of this distribution and can experiment really
    everything. thanks for your great help!

I hope you didn't use both at the same time.

"I write and write, but things change,,,"
    2 years ago I posted the way I used set up bumblebee. I feel very frustrated.
    There's a guide here, that one uses yet another repo, but it is reported to work:
    http://smithfarm-thebrain.blogspot.c...bumblebee.html

And Knurpht also wrote a blog post regarding his repo/driver packages:
    http://forums.opensuse.org/entry.php...IA-on-openSUSE
    Shouldn't be too difficult to follow...

- the attempt to uninstall nouveau uninstalled also mesa and the whole glx stuff. In this case I can call nouveau embedded,
    hardcoded or however you like. on my eyes it looks as a further effort to make this driver really working with bumblebee.
    And as I said already, the nouveau kernel module is part of the kernel package.

But this doesn't have anything to do with Bumblebee, and actually there's no need to uninstall nouveau. If nvidia is installed, it will be preferred by Xorg, but this doesn't help you on an Optimus system, since only the intel chip drives the display normally.

And you _should_ be able to uninstall x11-video-nouveau.

"So how did you actually install the nvidia driver?"
    - i putted in grub the kernel option "brokenmodules=nouveau"
    - I completely deleted the stuff from /home:/Knurpht
    - I completely deleted the stuff from home:/Bumblebee-Project
    - I downloaded the last driver from ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64
    - reboot in runlevel 3
    - installed the official nvidia driver, no dkms and just as helper to disable nouveau.
    - reboot
    - this time I got "Kernel driver in use: fbnvidia nouveau nvidia"
    - reboot in runlevel 3
    - uninstalled nvidia (used the installer --uninstall)
    - reboot
    - commented out every nouveau reference in "/etc/bumblebee/" substituting "nouveau" with "nvidia"
    /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf
    "Driver=nvidia"
    "KernelDriver=nvidia"
    - /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist-nouveau.conf "blacklist nouveau"
    /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf "blacklist nouveau"
    /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf "blacklist nouveau"
    - first the nvidia driver, then bumblebee
    reinstalled the whole stuff from /home:/Knurpht
    reinstalled the whole stuff from /home:/Bumblebee-Project
    NB: the two repos offer different driver versions: checked the 2 possible combinations with no success
    - rebooted 2 times and I got what already posted.
    The standard nvidia driver DOES NOT WORK on Optimus systems. And it even breaks the intel driver.
    So remove everything you installed again, and all your blacklists.

And don't install stuff from Knurpht _and_ Bumblee-Project.

Follow _one_ of the two guides I pointed you to, and it should work.

Or, check in your BIOS settings whether you can disable the intel graphics. In that case the standard nvidia driver _should_ work then.
    I would suggest to install it from nvidia's repos though.
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers
    Last edited by wolfi323; 09-May-2014 at 08:09.

Default AW: Re: opensuse 13.1 and nvidia gt

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    And you _should_ be able to uninstall x11-video-nouveau.
    Sorry, the package is actually named "xorg-x11-driver-video-nouveau". This contains the Xorg nouveau driver and _can_ be uninstalled, but you don't have to uninstall it as already mentioned. (it doesn't help to uninstall it anyway, since it is the _kernel_ module that prevents the nvidia driver from working if it is loaded)

You probably tried to uninstall libdrm_nouveau2, which you can't because of the dependencies. But you cannot uninstall libdrm_radeon1 and libdrm_intel1 either, do those give you problems? Nothing special about Bumblebee/Optimus/NVidia here...

in some way I could say "SOLVED": I know that glxgears is considered imprecise, but

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> glxgears
    Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
    approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
    306 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.008 FPS
    300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.966 FPS

Same output like on my laptop! It looks like if nvidia would be ON with no OFF possibility.l. On the other way the laptop runs smoothly and with no appreciables noises, I get always the same outputs also with power cable disconnected,
    I made just a couple of tests:

1)
    msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2
    --
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF116M [GeForce GT 555M/635M] [10de:124d] (rev ff)
    Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia
    02:00.0 USB controller [0c03]: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller [1033:0194] (rev 04)

2)
    msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> dmesg | grep nvidia
    [ 2.484370] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
    [ 2.491162] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0006 -> 0007)
    [ 2.491394] [drm] Initialized nvidia-drm 0.0.0 20130102 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 0
    [ 54.887664] bbswitch: device 0000:01:00.0 is in use by driver 'nvidia', refusing OFF
    [ 322.854653] [drm] Initialized nvidia-drm 0.0.0 20130102 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 0
    [ 323.147881] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: irq 55 for MSI/MSI-X
    [ 401.005408] nvidia-settings[7816]: segfault at 18 ip 00007f9de190eeea sp 00007fff4d0ab898 error 4 in libc-2.18.so[7f9de188c000+1a5000]

3)
    msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> nvidia-settings
    Segmentation fault

4)
    msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> glxinfo
    name of display: :0
    display: :0 screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes
    server glx vendor string: SGI
    server glx version string: 1.4
    server glx extensions:
    client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
    client glx version string: 1.4
    client glx extensions:

- What I did:
    I left the configuration for nouveau redirected to nvidia, like already described in an earlier post. I don't know if that is of helpi or damage.
    I installed from:
    then
    giving this one the absolute priority.
    NB: http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...Vidia:/latest/ contains ca 50 different drivers, but not the one I used earlier.
    I don't have computer games but I assume they will run
    thanks for the decisive help!

in some way I could say "SOLVED": I know that glxgears is considered imprecise, but

306 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.008 FPS
    300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.966 FPS
    Of course. Ever heard of VSync?
    Apparently 60Hz is your display's frequency.

And glxgears actually tells you that it is "Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
    approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate."

See here f.e.: http://ttux.net/post/glxgears-vertic...h-vblank-mode/

Btw, on an Optimus system, the intel card is used by default.
    You have to use optirun/primusrun to run things on the nvidia card.

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> nvidia-settings
    Segmentation fault
    See above.
    nvidia-settings will not work on the intel chip. Try to run it with "optirun nvidia-settings".
    No idea whether the crash is normal though.

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> glxinfo
    name of display: :0
    display: :0 screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes
    Try "glxinfo | grep -i opengl" to get better suited information.
    And then run "optirun glxinfo | grep -i opengl" to see the difference...

I left the configuration for nouveau redirected to nvidia
    What do you mean with that?
    Which configuration?

If you mean the nouveau blacklist, yes, that's necessary if you want to use nvidia.

NB: http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...Vidia:/latest/ contains ca 50 different drivers, but not the one I used earlier.
    ???
    I only see exactly _one_ driver in there, 334.21.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 19-May-2014 at 05:11.

hi wolfi323,
    please, just forget all what I wrote. Perhaps it would be possible to delete all, to avoid confusion by other menbers?
    Like perhaps you can imagine I didn't stop working around this subject and now we have a perfect solution. However,
    we should make sure that it will work on any laptop.

- First of all, the final result:

306 frames in 5.0 seconds = 61.045 FPS
    300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.967 FPS

msi_user@linux-q2ld:~> optirun glxgears
    7420 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1483.951 FPS
    7622 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1524.217 FPS

How I did it:
    I decided to reinstall suse from scratch, to make sure that I will do a clean work, I made a minimal install, no packman , I made just the updates.
    After updating I got immediately a further update, the kernel, ver, 3.11.10-11 for the exatitude. Once more I stress that I didn't install the compiler,
    the kernel source and so on! By the way I am not recommanding reinstalling opensuse from scratch in order to get bumblabee working. Looking in the
    "repos mess " I found some other bumblebee repositories. One of them made me a serious impression, due to the stuff and the completeness:

I installed from the repo everything with exclusion of:

VirtualGL-devel
    bbswitch-kmp-default
    bbswitch-kmp-pae
    bbswitch-kmp-xen
    libjpeg8-devel
    libjpeg8-devel-32bit
    NB: here happened something strange: the system added some packages, I assume also compiling stuff, and a new kernel version complete with all sources: desktop,
    vanilla, xen and so on. Clearly modules were compiled on the fly. The new kernel verion is: 3.11.6-4-desktop and that is what I use.
    NB: later, on the end, after successfull install conclusion I exchanged experimentally 3 packages: VirtualGL, VirtualGL-32bit and bbswitch-dkms with versions
    from erlier mentioned repos and bumblebee keept working

Well, at this point rebooting is necessity.
    After the new login --> yast --> security and users --> user and group management --> edit --> details, and mark the checkbox "bumblebee"
    in "/etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf" set "Driver=nvidia" instead of "Driver="
    reboot again

This time as root:
    systemctl enable bumblebeed.service
    systemctl start bumblebeed.service
    reboot finally and check, it works for me and I hope for you also!
    every question is welcome, the "stupid" ones are in my experience also the most important

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast