Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox 29 (Australis UI) - Well, that didn't hurt!

Default Firefox 29 (Australis UI) - Well, that didn't hurt!

I like software that's functional, does the task required. The ability to change the look and feel of the UI is also quite high on my list of priorities. I've possibly been using Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape, whatever, for too long. Trouble is, I'm definitely a look and feel Luddite, due to my age I expect ...

I was not looking forward to the Australis interface. -- It was with great trepidation that I clicked "Accept" when the upgrade came through. Having first ensured a complete backup of ~/.mozilla was safely squirrelled away; starting Firefox I fully expected to find a few extensions not compatible; and, visually, rather a mess. I'd been following the thread over on "Mozillazine" for the "Classic Theme Restorer" quite closely, anticipating this would be the first "new" extension to be installed.

So, what actually happened? -- Much to my surprise ...

Firefox started, spat it's dummy out because of only one extension (Movable Firefox Button), then looked almost the same as it previously had done. Quite amazing, I'd retained my existing prefs.js, userChrome.css and localstore.rdf files. Apart from a couple of minor things in userChrome it was happy with those. Then spent some minutes rearranging a few icons and I was almost a happy bunny! I use the "Vertical Tab Style" extension, which must take most of the credit for the look and feel remaining almost unchanged.

I've subsequently installed the "Classic Toolbar Buttons" extension, (safely ignore the warning "not available for your platform") which has restored some sanity to the icons in terms of image and colour. Deleted localstore.rdf and allowed it to be rebuilt, was it worth it(?), it went from ~90k to 6.7k. I like to tell myself there was a marginal performance improvement, (there wasn't).

Just thought I'd share. -- So any other Luddites out there who're hanging back, go on, give it a go.
    Regards, Paul

Blog Entries

Default Re: Firefox 29 (Australis UI) - Well, that didn't hurt!

I've been surprised at the extent of the negative reaction to ff29.

Yes, it looked a little different. But, when all is boiled down, it is still the old firefox.

Okay, the tabs have rounded edges, and the tabs are above the address bar. And the main menu button is now on the right instead of the left, and now uses icons. But that's a relatively modest change. The font seems to have changed to one with less vertical spacing, so that now the bookmarks don't extend all the way to the end of the page. I like that particular change.

In the meantime, life goes on as usual. I'm surprised that so many people are engaged in a gripe fest.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

I do not know how many people have spend how much time on making those sides of he tabs not vertical, but oblique. I could not care less.

And the menus are back in two clicks.

Only thing is that I keep hitting the "NoScript button" instead of the "back a page button". It seems that they have exchanged place, else I can not understand why I do make that mistake again and again.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I do not know how many people have spend how much time on making those sides of he tabs not vertical, but oblique. I could not care less.

And the menus are back in two clicks.

Only thing is that I keep hitting the "NoScript button" instead of the "back a page button". It seems that they have exchanged place, else I can not understand why I do make that mistake again and again.

You can't move it using Customize, or is that where you want it?
    Desktop: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3 Ghz | 4 GB RAM | GeForce GT 630

Quote Originally Posted by rafter22 View Post
    You can't move it using Customize, or is that where you want it?
    This is in General Chit-chat, Thus I do not dare to ask a technical question.

People are telling here their experiences. My experience is typical for myself. I click autmaticaly on a place without realy looking. Thus when something in a UI is changed it will take at least a week before I can use it normaly again.

The result is of course that I hate these changes. Specialy when I do not see the need behind them.

And I will ask in Applications if it can be changed when I am afraid that I am getting insane because of this.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I've been surprised at the extent of the negative reaction to ff29.

Yes, it looked a little different. But, when all is boiled down, it is still the old firefox.

In the meantime, life goes on as usual. I'm surprised that so many people are engaged in a gripe fest.
    Yes, so am I. It's only an internet browser, and now with "go faster stripes", although it does seem a bit snappier on my now middle-aged ThinkPad (C2D T6670).

Then I only access the menus once or twice per day (same on SeaMonkey) - it's the displayed content that''s important [stupid].
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Personally I say its just another chrome clone now, next they should just abandon gecko and adopt use blink and get it done and over with.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    ... I hate these changes. Specialy when I do not see the need behind them.
    I second that motion!

I tend to mostly follow the adage: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    ... then, on the other hand, there are some people who -- if you don't give them something to complain about -- will go on a safari to locate something they can gripe about.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    I second that motion!
    No motion involved! No change would be "standing still".
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast