Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnome using KDE dialogs

Default Gnome using KDE dialogs

I have OpenSuse 13.1 with both GNOME and KDE installed but now when using GNOME applications use KDE icons and dialogs like the Open File correspond to KDE instead of GNOME.

This just happened after a software update but I do not know which settings where changed in GNOME.

How can I change this behaviour back? I have already tried to find any related setting in gnome-control-center and gnome-tweak-tool with no luck.

Thanks!

Default Re: Gnome using KDE dialogs

Quote Originally Posted by alcachi View Post
    How can I change this behaviour back? I have already tried to find any related setting in gnome-control-center and gnome-tweak-tool with no luck.
    Is this when you run them in GNOME or in KDE?

Normally they use KDE's settings when run in KDE, and GNOME's settings when run in GNOME.
    You can change KDE's settings in "Configure Desktop"/"Systemsettings"->"Application Appearance"->"GTK".
    Uninstall "kde-gtk-config" to disable that completely.

But GNOME application should NEVER use KDE's file dialog, not even when run inside KDE (Gtk doesn't adapt to the Desktop Environment like Qt does f.e.). It should be just GNOME's dialog using the KDE style settings.
    Please post a screenshot to be sure.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 07-May-2014 at 02:46.

wolfi323, it is when I run GNOME and you are right it seems GNOME's dialog is using the KDE style settings (as well as the menu bar of the applications).

Here is a screenshot:

http://tinyurl.com/pl6zjav

wolfi323, it is when I run GNOME and you are right it seems GNOME's dialog is using the KDE style settings (as well as the menu bar of the applications).

Here is a screenshot:

http://tinyurl.com/pl6zjav
    Yes, that's indeed GNOME's file open dialog.

So apparently GNOME applications use KDE's oxygen theme even when running in GNOME.
    Well, you can change GNOME's theme in gnome-tweak-tool ("Appearance").

What settings do you have there? Does it have any effect when you change them?
    (the default would be "Adwaita" for each of them except "Icons", which should be "GNOME")

If that doesn't have effect, try to remove ~/.config/gtk-3.0/.

I already tried gnome-tweak-tool but with no success.

It already had all values set to the default Adwaita theme:

http://tinyurl.com/pl64twd

When changing the values it affect only certain parts of the windows but the menus and the dialogs remain unchanged.

I will try now the trick of removing ~/.config/gtk-3.0/

Indeed ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini is referring to oxygen-gtk:

[Settings]
    gtk-font-name=Sans Serif 9
    gtk-theme-name=oxygen-gtk
    gtk-icon-theme-name=oxygen
    gtk-fallback-icon-theme=gnome
    gtk-toolbar-style=GTK_TOOLBAR_BOTH_HORIZ
    gtk-menu-images=1
    gtk-button-images=1
    gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme=0

I have removed the directory and restarted my gnome session but it is still using oxygen theme.

Actually removing the gtk-3.0 directory had some effect but not in all applications:
    - gnome-terminal is now using the adwaita theme
    - firefox and thunderbird are still using oxygen

Indeed ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini is referring to oxygen-gtk:
    Yes, that's created when you login to KDE according to KDE's GTK settings, and then environment variables are set that GTK3 applications use that.

But it should have no influence when you are logged into GNOME.

I normally only use KDE, but I just tried logging into GNOME, and here all applications use the Adwaita theme, not Oxygen, despite having that ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini with oxygen-gtk.

Actually removing the gtk-3.0 directory had some effect but not in all applications:
    - gnome-terminal is now using the adwaita theme
    - firefox and thunderbird are still using oxygen
    Well, Firefox and Thunderbird are _no_ GNOME applications.
    They do use Gtk, but Gtk2, so removing ~/.config/gtk-3.0/ has of course no effect.

For those remove ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4 (not sure if the latter one has to be removed).

I have no idea, how to set the Gtk2 them in GNOME3, but you could change it in KDE's settings I suppose.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 07-May-2014 at 04:13.

Removing ~/.gtkrc-2.0 solved the issue with thunderbird and firefox.

Now everything is using the adwaita theme and I have learned quite a lot about how the settings work behind the scenes.

Thanks a lot!

Removing ~/.gtkrc-2.0 solved the issue with thunderbird and firefox.
    Yes, but this will also be recreated when you log into KDE next time.
    To prevent that, uninstall kde-gtk-config as already mentioned, or set a different Gtk2 theme in KDE's GTK settings.

Actually I can reproduce the issue here with Firefox.
    I guess the problem is that GNOME offers no way to set the Gtk2 theme, so KDE's Gtk2 settings are used if they are found.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast