Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: clamav up and vanished

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    267

    Default clamav up and vanished

    I updated clamav today and used it numerous times this day. Then right out of the blue it just up and vanished right off my computer. It even took its icon. I cannot find any trace of it. Even reinstalled it but it doesn't show up. That's not right.
    Mike

    AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435 Processor, (RAM): 8.0 GiB, openSUSE Leap 42.2, (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.10, ATI Radeon HD Graphics

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,284
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: clamav up and vanished

    Quote Originally Posted by mike7757 View Post
    I updated clamav today and used it numerous times this day. Then right out of the blue it just up and vanished right off my computer. It even took its icon. I cannot find any trace of it. Even reinstalled it but it doesn't show up. That's not right.
    It might seem that way to you

    How did you install it? Via RPM, or tarball?

    If you installed as RPM via repository, you can check if it's still installed with
    Code:
    rpm -qa|grep clamav

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: clamav up and vanished

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    It might seem that way to you

    How did you install it? Via RPM, or tarball?

    If you installed as RPM via repository, you can check if it's still installed with
    Code:
    rpm -qa|grep clamav
    That program has been on my machine for maybe a year. Where is it now hiding. According to yast it is still there.
    Mike

    AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435 Processor, (RAM): 8.0 GiB, openSUSE Leap 42.2, (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.10, ATI Radeon HD Graphics

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,140
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: clamav up and vanished

    How are you expecting to find it?
    ie, Are you running the configuration/system in your signature, ie
    openSUSE 13.1
    KDE 4.10

    If you're invoking from a Desktop Menu?
    Have you tried from the command line?
    Are you running it integrated with something else?
    Have you checked its running status?
    Code:
    systemctl status clamd
    So, for instance could you have accidentally just invoked a different KDE Desktop? (Click on the Desktops in your taskbar)
    Have you accidentally changed workspaces?

    TSU

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,284
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: clamav up and vanished

    Further to tsu's advice - I don't use the this application, but I assume it auto-starts, and you're used to seeing an icon in the system tray. Which means you had a GUI front-end (eg clamtk) installed as well. Maybe that is missing for some reason, (while clamav process runs in the background).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: clamav up and vanished

    On 2014-05-07 20:46, deano ferrari wrote:
    >
    > Further to tsu's advice - I don't use the this application, but I assume
    > it auto-starts, and you're used to seeing an icon in the system tray.
    > Which means you had a GUI front-end (eg clamtk) installed as well. Maybe
    > that is missing for some reason, (while clamav process runs in the
    > background).


    clamav can be used with or without clamd running, or even present.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: clamav up and vanished

    Update for what its worth. After removing and reinstalling, I can only open clamtk through terminal, and only continue to use it if terminal continues to be opened. They are joined together for whatever reason.
    Mike

    AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435 Processor, (RAM): 8.0 GiB, openSUSE Leap 42.2, (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.10, ATI Radeon HD Graphics

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,284
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: clamav up and vanished

    Quote Originally Posted by mike7757 View Post
    Update for what its worth. After removing and reinstalling, I can only open clamtk through terminal, and only continue to use it if terminal continues to be opened. They are joined together for whatever reason.
    That's normal. You have to use an & (ampersand) at the end of the command used to launch it, so that it runs as a background process.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,284
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: clamav up and vanished

    Quote Originally Posted by mike7757 View Post
    Update for what its worth. After removing and reinstalling, I can only open clamtk through terminal, and only continue to use it if terminal continues to be opened. They are joined together for whatever reason.
    Have a look at the installed files associated with clamtk. It should have a .desktop file located somewhere. It's a GTK application, so may not offer a KDE menu icon, but easy to add in any case.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: clamav up and vanished

    On 2014-05-08 01:46, mike7757 wrote:
    >
    > Update for what its worth. After removing and reinstalling, I can only
    > open clamtk through terminal, and only continue to use it if terminal
    > continues to be opened. They are joined together for whatever reason.


    If you open anything from a terminal, closing that terminal kills that
    anything.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •