After cleaning /boot and re-writing GRUB config: Kernel panic - no init found

Hi there!

I have big trouble with my laptop. It had Gentoo installed, but as it got too slow I switched to opensuse. I left the usual HD-split with /boot, /root and /home on different partitions. /boot was big enough when running Gentoo, (100MB…) but Opensuse struggles already with 3 kernels + initrd.
So I started cleaning older kernel versions, just using most current one - 3.7.10-1.28-desktop. I uninstalled old kernels using yast graphical interface (if that matters). It did some post-clean actions. To be absolutely sure that nothing went wrong and I can boot I went into the Boot setup, made sure kernel was set to the actual version I have left installed (did not change anything here!), confirmed → config got re-written. Then the reboot failed:
Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found
Looking into the kernel command line (Grub → <e>), I could not find any “init=” or “set init”. I simply placed a
set init=’/bin/systemd’
under the ‘set root=’ line, but <F10> to boot errored out with the same message.

So the question is:
How can I fix this issue?

I never used (and use) an initrd on my Gentoo-Boxes. AFAIK initrd should contain everything that is needed to boot. So: is my issue caused by a faulty initrd?
Do i have any chance to get this fixed by editing the GRUB2 kernel command line?
Or do I have to edit some configs in the system? Does this work without any OpenSUSE live DVD? (My connection is REALLY slow and I don’t want to download a several-GB-Monster-ISO just to fix this issue - but I always have some Gentoo minimal live-cds flying around ;)).

I installed this affected system with 12.1, did upgrades until the latest 12.x version. I planned to try an upgrade to 13.x sooner or later (this laptop only get’s internet access for updates… so no real security issue if I just stop doing updates).

Any help really appreciated!

Thx,
Franz

With 100M for “/boot”, my solution was to delete plymouth, and then rerun “mkinitrd”. You might have to go into rescue mode to do that.

Without plymouth, the “initrd” is a lot smaller, and you can probably fit three kernels in “/boot”.

On 2014-05-06 13:26, frantri wrote:
>
> Hi there!
>
> I have big trouble with my laptop. It had Gentoo installed, but as it
> got too slow I switched to opensuse. I left the usual HD-split with
> /boot, /root and /home on different partitions. /boot was big enough
> when running Gentoo, (100MB…) but Opensuse struggles already with 3
> kernels + initrd.

100 MB for boot is not enough. I would recommend to repartition and
reinstall. openSUSE uses a “huge” initrd, specially after they added
plymouth. You have to remove that package from your install ASAP, or
resize boot (about 500 MB seems appropriate now).

On the other hand, unless you use specific setups, so as some types of
raid, lvm, or encryption, you do not need a separate boot. Perhaps for
btrfs root, but I’m not sure if it is still needed.

> Or do I have to edit some configs in the system? Does this work without
> any OpenSUSE live DVD? (My connection is REALLY slow and I don’t want to
> download a several-GB-Monster-ISO just to fix this issue - but I always
> have some Gentoo minimal live-cds flying around ;)).

There is a very nice rescue CD with XFCE on openSUSE site. No automatic
repair things, just appropriately small and the needed tools. When put
on a usb stick you also get transparent write space (on 13.1 onwards,
12.3 failed).

Even smaller is the netinstall CD. The rescue image is text only and
very few apps.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

That is not “usual” on openSUSE.

Having the multidistro kernel (woops multiversion) disabled in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf my /boot is only at 89.9 MB with plymouth included :slight_smile: