Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Downclocking a Nvidia graphics card with dual monitors

  1. #1

    Default Downclocking a Nvidia graphics card with dual monitors

    Is there a way to re-allow downclocking with multiple monitors? Nvidia, in their very finite wisdom shut the ability off.

    My machine is a dual boot, and with Nvidia Inspector in Windows I was successfully able to do it with no ill effects, although having to manually add which applications should run with half or full power was a pain.

    In OpenSuse 13.1 performance levels 0 and 1 are greyed out, even with adaptive PowerMizer enabled. I have no need for performance level 2 while running Linux, and the wear on the fans and the wasted power and higher temperatures is ridiculous.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    16,287

    Default Re: Downclocking a Nvidia graphics card with dual monitors

    Seems to me you need to address this to NVIDIA it really is not a openSUSE problem

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,325
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Downclocking a Nvidia graphics card with dual monitors

    Quote Originally Posted by vilanye View Post
    Is there a way to re-allow downclocking with multiple monitors? Nvidia, in their very finite wisdom shut the ability off.

    My machine is a dual boot, and with Nvidia Inspector in Windows I was successfully able to do it with no ill effects, although having to manually add which applications should run with half or full power was a pain.

    In OpenSuse 13.1 performance levels 0 and 1 are greyed out, even with adaptive PowerMizer enabled. I have no need for performance level 2 while running Linux, and the wear on the fans and the wasted power and higher temperatures is ridiculous.
    Hi
    All you need to do is add to the relevant xorg.conf file;
    Code:
    Option         "Coolbits" "1"
    This should allow you via nvidia-settings to set the clock speed.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,325
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Downclocking a Nvidia graphics card with dual monitors

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Seems to me you need to address this to NVIDIA it really is not a openSUSE problem
    Hmmmm, why? openSUSE provide a link to a Nvidia driver for download.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    16,287

    Default Re: Downclocking a Nvidia graphics card with dual monitors

    Well if their software setup does not support it we can't fix it. All opnSUSE does is provide a link

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,325
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Downclocking a Nvidia graphics card with dual monitors

    On Tue 06 May 2014 12:26:02 AM CDT, gogalthorp wrote:


    Well if their software setup does not support it we can't fix it. All
    opnSUSE does is provide a link


    Hi
    Please, how many folks ask about configuring all sorts of hardware,
    lets try to help folks ok, if you can't help someone, it might be best
    to skip the thread

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  7. #7

    Default Re: Downclocking a Nvidia graphics card with dual monitors

    Thanks for your response.

    My system doesn't have an xorg.conf file. Will adding one, mess anything up?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,325
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Downclocking a Nvidia graphics card with dual monitors

    Quote Originally Posted by vilanye View Post
    Thanks for your response.

    My system doesn't have an xorg.conf file. Will adding one, mess anything up?
    Hi
    I would imagine that the install of the nvidia driver put files down in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d?

    If so, then which ever file (I'm guessing 50-device.conf) calls the nvidia driver would be the one to add the option to.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Downclocking a Nvidia graphics card with dual monitors

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    I would imagine that the install of the nvidia driver put files down in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d?
    No, it doesn't.

    XOrg prefers to use the nvidia driver when it is installed, even without any configuration.


    @vilanye:
    So you have two options:
    - create an xorg.conf (no, it won't mess anything up, unless it is invalid of course), maybe with nvidia-settings, and add that option there
    - use a file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ for setting that option. I suppose something like this in 50-device.conf (or create a new file and name it like you want, 50-nvidia-device.conf f.e.) should do:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
      Identifier "Default Device"
      Driver "nvidia"
      Option         "Coolbits" "1"
    EndSection
    If you have problems getting into graphical mode because of your changes, just boot to "Recovery Mode" ("Advanced Options" in the boot menu) and revert your changes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •