Update vs New Install - 12.3 to 13.1

Got bored yesterday so I decided to upgrade my 3 12.3 openSuSE machines to 13.1. I “UPDATED” 2 and did a “New Installation” on one. The “New Installation” works fine. The “Updates”, not so much. First thing that I notices is that GRUB lists the Release level of the Updated linuxes as 12.3 but with the new kernel. The next thing I noticed is that Konqueror won’t work. It shows a box that says:

There was an error loading the module About-Page for Konqueror.
The diagnostics is:
The plugin ‘konq_aboutpage’ uses an incompatible KDE library (4.11.5)

The versions numbers on my Update box are the same as on my New box. I am thinking that somewhere there is a string/file/incantation that says “12.3” and this is the problem.

Any ideas???

That’s because that “Vendor String” (openSUSE 12.3 in your case) is just a user-changeable setting, therefore it is not changed in updates/upgrades.
If that bothers you, enter YaST->System->Boot Loader->Boot Loader Options and change it to anything you like.

The next thing I noticed is that Konqueror won’t work. It shows a box that says:

There was an error loading the module About-Page for Konqueror.
The diagnostics is:
The plugin ‘konq_aboutpage’ uses an incompatible KDE library (4.11.5)

That can mean two things.
Probably you installed all online updates (including the KDE update to 4.11.5) but haven’t restarted KDE yet, so old stuff is still in memory.
Just logout/reboot and it should work.

Or you did not install all updates and have mixed KDE packages from different versions now.
Ask back in that case please, so we can sort it out.

The versions numbers on my Update box are the same as on my New box. I am thinking that somewhere there is a string/file/incantation that says “12.3” and this is the problem.

No. I don’t think so.

Thanks… I did reboot and still had the problem; but to tell the truth, it ain’t worth the effort. The “New Installation” is virtually painless so I’m just going with that. Thanks for your efforts.

Have a lot of fun!!!

I always do a new install, while preserving “/home” (on a separate partition).

I agree. The clean install is pretty simple. There might be a small amount of tweaking needed, but not very much. And I avoid some potential problems my doing it this way.

On 2014-05-05 17:56, divinsal wrote:
>
> Thanks… I did reboot and still had the problem; but to tell the
> truth, it ain’t worth the effort. The “New Installation” is virtually
> painless so I’m just going with that. Thanks for your efforts.

What a shame! >:-)

> Have a lot of fun!!!

Not much fun if you quit. :’-} :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)