Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Changing the default background image during the start up

  1. #1

    Default Changing the default background image during the start up

    Hi everyone,

    Quite new on OpenSuse I have install OpenSuse 13.1 at my laptop and home media player and I'm impressed how OpenSuse handles the load on my XBMC setup. just wondering if I can change the screen background during the startup process. I have changed the background image of the splash screen (the image on selecting the boot loader), I also manage to changed the login screen and lock screen but during the whole start up process I still see the default green vine on a black background after selecting the boot loader and after entering the password. also during shutting down. may I know how or where I can find the image located or where can I change this setting.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mangfall, Germany
    Posts
    1,558

    Default Re: Changing the default background image during the start up

    have you tried,

    System Settings
    - System Administration
    -- Login Screen
    --- Background
    ---- Picture
    then select the preferred image
    the preference on this PC is /boot/grub2/themes/openSUSE/background.png
    then in Position: Scale & Crop

    hth

  3. #3

    Default Re: Changing the default background image during the start up

    Quote Originally Posted by keellambert View Post
    have you tried,

    System Settings
    - System Administration
    -- Login Screen
    --- Background
    ---- Picture
    then select the preferred image
    the preference on this PC is /boot/grub2/themes/openSUSE/background.png
    then in Position: Scale & Crop

    hth
    Yap done but still see the default image (green vine)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mangfall, Germany
    Posts
    1,558

    Default Re: Changing the default background image during the start up

    Sorry for time wasting,
    bootloader? grub2?
    desktop manager? kwin?
    desktop? kde?
    kernel? 3.xx.xx?
    more info would be helpful

    is the file /boot/grub2/themes/openSUSE/background.png
    the image (green vine)?
    if so, change the file name and put there the image of
    choice with the name background.png then run command (root privileges needed)

    grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

    best of luck

    but this is not the correct way of doing things, the formal
    way is as stated before

  5. #5

    Default Re: Changing the default background image during the start up

    I suppose this is about the plymouth splash screen, i.e. the image you get _after_ the boot menu and _before_ the login screen/the graphical session appears.

    Have a look at "man plymouth" for how to set that.

    The themes are located in /usr/share/plymouth/themes/, but if you change one of the existing ones, your changes might be overwritten when installing updates. So better copy it and change the copy if you want to do that.

    And since plymouth normally is started from the initrd already, you might have to run "mkinitrd" after changing the theme.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mangfall, Germany
    Posts
    1,558

    Default Re: Changing the default background image during the start up

    My responses assumed Plymouth was not installed!

    Why? ? ?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Changing the default background image during the start up

    Quote Originally Posted by keellambert View Post
    Sorry for time wasting,
    bootloader? grub2?
    desktop manager? kwin?
    desktop? kde?
    kernel? 3.xx.xx?
    more info would be helpful

    is the file /boot/grub2/themes/openSUSE/background.png
    the image (green vine)?
    if so, change the file name and put there the image of
    choice with the name background.png then run command (root privileges needed)

    grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

    best of luck

    but this is not the correct way of doing things, the formal
    way is as stated before
    no, the green vine is the default wallpaper, the on on /boot/grub2/themes/openSUSE/background.png is the on with SUSE logo with 13.1 label

    I'm Using Opensuse 13.1 64 bit KDE 4.11.5 with kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop

    I have already changed the /boot/grub2/themes/openSUSE/background.png and update the may boot loader via yast, that need change the image from the bootloader menu. and from the configure-desktop ==> Login Sceen at the Theme TAB I have changed the background. but still I can see the default (green vine) image during the startup process.

    1) after the choosing OpenSuse 13.1 on bootloader menu
    2) after entering may password (the one with the icons of disk network and kde )
    3) after clicking the shutdown button

    I hope I have explain may scenario well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mangfall, Germany
    Posts
    1,558

    Default Re: Changing the default background image during the start up

    @coolmac

    best way forward is to do as wolfi323 suggested above

    however my solution was to search for plymouth in
    -Yast --Software Management
    with -Name -Keyword and -Summary selected
    then delete all packages with plymouth in the name

    after which the selected background was visible
    but of course the fancy start screens are lost

    take care

  9. #9

    Default Re: Changing the default background image during the start up

    Quote Originally Posted by keellambert View Post
    however my solution was to search for plymouth in
    -Yast --Software Management
    with -Name -Keyword and -Summary selected
    then delete all packages with plymouth in the name

    after which the selected background was visible
    but of course the fancy start screens are lost
    ???
    Yes, uninstalling plymouth removes the boot splash completely.
    But the question was how to _change_ it.

    And which "selected background" do you mean?
    Plymouth should have no influence whatsoever on any other background image.

    Quote Originally Posted by coolmac View Post
    1) after the choosing OpenSuse 13.1 on bootloader menu
    2) after entering may password (the one with the icons of disk network and kde )
    3) after clicking the shutdown button
    1 and 3 are displayed by plymouth and can be changed as described before.
    2 is KDE's splash screen, you can change that in "Configure Desktop"->"Desktop Appearance"->"Splash Screen". KDE's upstream default splash screen is called "Standard".

    Those themes are located in /usr/share/kde4/apps/ksplash/Themes/ if you want to change an existing one.
    But the same note as before applies here: in this case better copy one and name it differently, then change the copy.
    Otherwise your changes will get lost sooner or later.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Saint Marys Georgia
    Posts
    78

    Default Re: Changing the default background image during the start up

    Quote Originally Posted by coolmac View Post
    Hi everyone,

    Quite new on OpenSuse I have install OpenSuse 13.1 at my laptop and home media player and I'm impressed how OpenSuse handles the load on my XBMC setup. just wondering if I can change the screen background during the startup process. I have changed the background image of the splash screen (the image on selecting the boot loader), I also manage to changed the login screen and lock screen but during the whole start up process I still see the default green vine on a black background after selecting the boot loader and after entering the password. also during shutting down. may I know how or where I can find the image located or where can I change this setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    ???
    Yes, uninstalling plymouth removes the boot splash completely.
    But the question was how to _change_ it.

    And which "selected background" do you mean?
    Plymouth should have no influence whatsoever on any other background image.


    1 and 3 are displayed by plymouth and can be changed as described before.
    2 is KDE's splash screen, you can change that in "Configure Desktop"->"Desktop Appearance"->"Splash Screen". KDE's upstream default splash screen is called "Standard".

    Those themes are located in /usr/share/kde4/apps/ksplash/Themes/ if you want to change an existing one.
    But the same note as before applies here: in this case better copy one and name it differently, then change the copy.
    Otherwise your changes will get lost sooner or later.
    Ok I think I understand a bit of the issue here. The ksplash theme can be changed as wolf pointed out. However if you still see the lizard screen then you need to go to:
    /home/USERNAME/.kde4/cache-COMPUTERNAME/ksplashx/
    delete this file and you should see the lizard removed.

    This is extremely useful if you are manually theming the login screen. It seems that ksplash calls the splash file from your cache instead of from the system default.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •