Thread: Grub2 Icons

Default Grub2 Icons

Hello,

this is my first post in this forum

I'm really a newbie of the OpenSUSE distro.

Currently on my laptop I have installed and configured these OS: OpenSUSE (13.1) (the default OS ), Ubuntu 14.04, Windows 8.
    I noticed that at the boot, grub show me the Windows ICON to the left of the menu string, I'd like to ask you how can I add the other icons for the other OS?
    I tried to search inside the forum and I found this link: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...tros-boot-menu
    But it's seems that it is not applicable to my case since I'm using UEFI boot.
    I installed on my gnome desktop the grub-customizer but it doesn't have any option to enable the icon visualization.

Thank you in advance for the help!
    Bye

Default Re: Grub2 Icons

Menu entries are generated by "menuentry" command in grub.cfg (/boot/grub2/grub.cfg). One of parameters for "menuentry" command is --class. This directly corresponds to icon shown in menu. I.e. in case of "menuentry ... --class foo --class bar" grub2 will search icondir (/boot/grub2/icons by default) for icons with name foo.png, bar.png in that order and display the first one found.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Menu entries are generated by "menuentry" command in grub.cfg (/boot/grub2/grub.cfg). One of parameters for "menuentry" command is --class. This directly corresponds to icon shown in menu. I.e. in case of "menuentry ... --class foo --class bar" grub2 will search icondir (/boot/grub2/icons by default) for icons with name foo.png, bar.png in that order and display the first one found.
    Hi arvidjaar,

thank you for your response
    Your advice works great!!

I'd like to ask you if you can suggest me a gnome tool, different from grub-customize (that has few options), to customize grub

THANK YOU
    Bye

No, I'm not aware of any such tool. You would need to create icons manually and put them in place.