Thread: KDE Energy Saving: No login mask after resume from sleep (openSUSE 13.1)

Default KDE Energy Saving: No login mask after resume from sleep (openSUSE 13.1)

I'm experiencing the following issue with KDE's Energy Saving option "Suspend Session": After resuming from sleep mode, no login mask is displayed, only the splash screen appears. I can switch to tty1 (<Ctrl> + <Alt> + <F1>), login as root, and do a service xdm restart; but then all data of the suspended session are lost.
    I've noticed the following details:

• The issue appears only, when suspending the session automatically, i. e. timer controlled. Returning from a manually initiated sleep mode works just fine.
    • The issue did not exist in openSUSE 12.3 (KDE 4.10.5), and earlier.
    • The issue seems to be HW independent: I have it an all 3 laptops (Acer, Lenovo, Toshiba).

OS data:
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64), Linux 3.11.10-7-desktop
    KDE Version 4.11.5

Helpful hints are very much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Dirk

Default Re: KDE Energy Saving: No login mask after resume from sleep (openSUSE 13.1)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk_O View Post
    I'm experiencing the following issue with KDE's Energy Saving option "Suspend Session": After resuming from sleep mode, no login mask is displayed, only the splash screen appears. I can switch to tty1 (<Ctrl> + <Alt> + <F1>), login as root, and do a service xdm restart; but then all data of the suspended session are lost.

• The issue appears only, when suspending the session automatically, i. e. timer controlled. Returning from a manually initiated sleep mode works just fine.
    • The issue seems to be HW independent: I have it an all 3 laptops (Acer, Lenovo, Toshiba).
    Yes, this bug got introduced in KDE 4.11.4 and has been fixed in the meantime.
    See also:
    http://forums.opensuse.org/showthrea...ep-can-t-login
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=864305

Workarounds:
    - Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and kill the screenlocker with "killall kscreenlocker_greet", then the password dialog should appear
    - enable "Require Password after" in the screen locker settings
    - disable "Lock Screen after resume" in the powermanagement settings ("Advanced")
    - Upgrade your KDE to the latest version from KDE:Current

An update for openSUSE 13.1 is already in the works and should appear soon in the standard update repo.

PS: I have created testing packages with the fix for standard 13.1 that are available here:
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...date/standard/
    (you only need kdebase4-workspace)
    Last edited by wolfi323; 03-May-2014 at 13:22.

Default Re: KDE Energy Saving: No login mask after resume from sleep (openSUSE 13.1)

OS data:
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64), Linux 3.11.10-7-desktop
    KDE Version 4.11.5

Helpful hints are very much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Dirk
    Hello Dirk,
    I faced the same issue on 12.3. I solved it for me by disabling the automatic start of screen lock in system settings:
    ("Systemeinstellungen" - Anzeige und Monitor - Bildschirmsperre: Haken entfernen bei !Automatischer Start nach ..." .)

Regards,
    Holger

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Treiber View Post
    Hello Dirk,
    I faced the same issue on 12.3.
    On 12.3?
    Did you use an upgraded KDE? (from KDE:Release:411 f.e.)

As I said, that bug got introduced with 4.11.4 when another bug was fixed, namely that the screen locker _always_ showed the password dialog, even when _no_ password was required.
    12.3's KDE 4.10 still has that other bug and is therefore not affected by this one...

I solved it for me by disabling the automatic start of screen lock in system settings:
    ("Systemeinstellungen" - Anzeige und Monitor - Bildschirmsperre: Haken entfernen bei !Automatischer Start nach ..." .)
    Yes, this is another workaround.
    The problem only occurs when the screen locker/saver kicks in _before_ the system is suspended automatically (or rather locked because of the "Lock Screen after resume" setting).
    Last edited by wolfi323; 03-May-2014 at 13:42.

Thumbs up Re: KDE Energy Saving: No login mask after resume from sleep (openSUSE 13.1)

Great! Thanks a lot, Wolfgang and Holger!

I've successfully tested the various workarounds (except KDE upgrade). They all work fine! The best combination for my purposes is the following:

System Settings - Power Management - Energy Saving - Suspend Session: ENABLED (checked) and set to SLEEP after x minutes
    System Settings - Power Management - Advanced Settings - Lock Screen on resume: ENABLED (checked)
    System Settings - Display and Monitor - Screen Locker - Start automatically after: ENABLED (checked) and set to y minutes
    System Settings - Display and Monitor - Screen Locker - Require password after: ENABLED (checked) and set to z minutes
    (This combination works fine, as long as x > y + z, i. e. if the password lock is active before the suspend starts.)

Looking forward to the bug fix,
    Dirk

(This combination works fine, as long as x > y + z, i. e. if the password lock is active before the suspend starts.)
    Not quite.

The password dialog should appear in any case after y+z IIRC.
    But obviously you have to wait some time for it to appear after the resume though, if x < y + z.

Example:
    Set screen locker to appear after 1 min., set "require password after" 2 minutes, and set "Suspend Session after" 2 minutes.
    When you resume, the password dialog should be shown 1 minute later.

Looking forward to the bug fix,
    The package has been submitted to the maintenance process already, if all goes well this takes about a week until release.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 04-May-2014 at 15:28.