Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: how to make X11 ignore monitors disconnecting

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    25

    Question how to make X11 ignore monitors disconnecting

    I have a KVM switch (as in keyboard/mouse/video switch, not kernel-based virtual machine ) and it often goes wacky when switching away from my openSUSE 13.1 box. Sometimes KWin goes broken glass, other times it's all black except for the cursor.

    Is it possible to make X11 ignore monitor disconnects entirely? I want it to just pretend the monitors are always connected.

    I use the proprietary NVidia drivers. I have a xorg.conf just to define how the dual-monitors work (only one of the monitors is connected via the KVM switch).

  2. #2

    Default Re: how to make X11 ignore monitors disconnecting

    Quote Originally Posted by eean View Post
    Is it possible to make X11 ignore monitor disconnects entirely? I want it to just pretend the monitors are always connected.
    Try to disable the "KScreen2" service in "Configure Desktop"->"Launch and Quit"->"Service Management".

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: how to make X11 ignore monitors disconnecting

    That didn't work, it went broken glass when switching away.

  4. #4

    Default Re: how to make X11 ignore monitors disconnecting

    Hm, I hope you logged out/rebooted after disabling that?

    Maybe this xorg.conf option will help then?
    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "string"

    Allows you to override what the NVIDIA kernel module detects is connected to your graphics card. This may be useful, for example, if you use a KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switch and you are switched away when X is started. In such a situation, the NVIDIA kernel module cannot detect which display devices are connected, and the NVIDIA X driver assumes you have a single CRT.

    Valid values for this option are "CRT" (cathode ray tube), "DFP" (digital flat panel), or "TV" (television); if using TwinView, this option may be a comma-separated list of display devices; e.g.: "CRT, CRT" or "CRT, DFP".

    It is generally recommended to not use this option, but instead use the "UseDisplayDevice" option.

    NOTE: anything attached to a 15 pin VGA connector is regarded by the driver as a CRT. "DFP" should only be used to refer to digital flat panels connected via a DVI port.
    When this option is set for an X screen, it will be applied to all X screens running on the same GPU.
    Default: string is NULL (the NVIDIA driver will detect the connected display devices).
    taken from the nvidia driver's README file:
    ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...igoptions.html
    Last edited by wolfi323; 02-May-2014 at 16:28.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,681
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: how to make X11 ignore monitors disconnecting

    Quote Originally Posted by eean View Post
    I have a KVM switch (as in keyboard/mouse/video switch, not kernel-based virtual machine ) and it often goes wacky when switching away from my openSUSE 13.1 box.
    I'm not having any problem here. One of the two computers has nVidia graphics, and the other has Intel graphics.

    The KVM switch is from IOgear. At one time, I tried a Belkin KVM switch, and it caused a mess.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: how to make X11 ignore monitors disconnecting

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'm not having any problem here. One of the two computers has nVidia graphics, and the other has Intel graphics.

    The KVM switch is from IOgear. At one time, I tried a Belkin KVM switch, and it caused a mess.
    This is a DisplayPort switch, I think with VGA stuff KVM's worked a lot better.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: how to make X11 ignore monitors disconnecting

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Hm, I hope you logged out/rebooted after disabling that?

    Maybe this xorg.conf option will help then?

    taken from the nvidia driver's README file:
    ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...igoptions.html
    That totally worked! Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •