Thread: Why no update for btrfsprogs in tumbleweed?

Default Why no update for btrfsprogs in tumbleweed?

Does anyone know if there is a reason why btrfsprogs is not rolled along in tumbleweed? The kernel is version 3.14 while btrfsprogs is 3.12, is this intentional? I would have gussed that they should be in sync.

Default Re: Why no update for btrfsprogs in tumbleweed?

Quote Originally Posted by Quantumboredom View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a reason why btrfsprogs is not rolled along in tumbleweed? The kernel is version 3.14 while btrfsprogs is 3.12, is this intentional? I would have gussed that they should be in sync.
    No, they don't have to be in sync. btrfsprogs' version scheme is independent of the one from the kernel: (f.e. there never was a 3.13 relase AFAICS...)
    https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index....btrfs-progs.29

Actually openSUSE 13.1 comes with btrfsprogs 3.12 (that's where _you_ have it from), while it only has a 3.11.x kernel.

I don't know why btrfsprogs has not been updated in Tumbleweed yet, maybe nobody saw a need for that? Or maybe just because it is brand new, it only got released in April.
    You should better ask this on the opensuse-factory mailing list if you want to have it updated, I suppose.

Btw, btrfsprogs 3.14 is available in the filesystems repo, which is also built for Tumbleweed:
    http://software.opensuse.org/package/btrfsprogs
    Last edited by wolfi323; 02-May-2014 at 07:03.

Default Re: Why no update for btrfsprogs in tumbleweed?

The update for btrfsprogs to 3.14 is now available on Tumbleweed (repo), and will change vendor from openSUSE.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.