Thread: toshiba satellite c50d-a Install problem

Default toshiba satellite c50d-a Install problem

I'm trying to install OpenSUSE 13.1 from USB to a toshiba satellite c50d-a. I get the following error messages and the install then hangs at, "Starting udev..."

Integrating /parts/00_lib
    [ 2.412900] input: SunPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input1
    [ 2.43801] loop: module loaded
    insmod /modules/squashfs.ko
    [ 2.470513] tsc: Refined TSC clocksource caibration: 1397.458 MHz
    [ 2.727859] squashfs: version 4.0 (2009/01/31) Phillip Lougher
    mount: parts/00_lib: we need a loop device
    mount: using /dev/loop0
    Integrating /parts/01_usr
    mount: /parts/01_usr: we need a loop device
    mount: using /dev/loop1
    [3.143619] BIOS EDD facility v0.16 2004-Jun-25, 0 devices found
    [3.146461] EDD information not available
    insmod: error inserting '/modules/edd.ko': -1 No such device

>>> openSUSE installation program v4.1.5 (c) 1996-2012 SUSE Linux Products GmbH <<<
    starting udev...

Help needed:

Wayne.

Blog Entries

Default Re: toshiba satellite c50d-a Install problem

Looks to me like your BIOS doesn't understand how to boot from or possibly install from a USB device... or at least <that> USB device.

Looks like a loop device was successfully mounted (one of a couple ways for a USB device to be made accessible) by GRUB, but the BIOS doesn't know what to do with it.

Maybe try some other USB device or a different medium altogether?

IMO,
    TSu

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Looks to me like your BIOS doesn't understand how to boot from or possibly install from a USB device... or at least <that> USB device.

Looks like a loop device was successfully mounted (one of a couple ways for a USB device to be made accessible) by GRUB, but the BIOS doesn't know what to do with it.

Maybe try some other USB device or a different medium altogether?

IMO,
    TSu
    Thanks,

I get that same message when booting from DVD and for OpenSUSE 12.3 from DVD as well. Windows 8 is still installed on this laptop. I am just trying to install over it. How do I get to a command prompt and reformat the hard disk? Perhaps starting from fresh will help?

Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by blueflyerwa View Post
    Thanks,

I get that same message when booting from DVD and for OpenSUSE 12.3 from DVD as well. Windows 8 is still installed on this laptop. I am just trying to install over it. How do I get to a command prompt and reformat the hard disk? Perhaps starting from fresh will help?

Wayne.
    Don't reformat the drive until you find out what in the BIOS is stopping the install. I suspect you might be dealing with either UEFI/EFI or a setting that disables booting from external devices.

You need to clear that issue up, first, or you might wind up with a wiped out system that you can't install anything to -- that is, a rather expensive paper weight.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Fraser_Bell

You're onto it.

I found the following post on an Ubuntu forum:

"Originally Posted by freekb0y
    I don't know if this information will be helpful but after a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.10 I would encounter the same issue. EDD, which is enhanced disk drive, is something that the BIOS sometimes utilizes for legacy purposes, and allows for the linux kernel to find the OS on the correct drive or partition. It was added in Linux kernel 2.6 etc (This is all from memory so bare with me). I had the same issue when booting off a live cd so I went through all the command options that are on the boot cd and found the if I turn on EDD and nolapic I could properly boot."

From this I went hunting in the BIOS. I found -- Advanced -- System Configuration -- Boot Mode. Boot Mode had the options: UEFI Boot (Support to boot any UEFI-capable OS) and CSM Boot (Support to boot non UEFI-capable OS that expects a legacy BIOS interface). The "legacy" bit was the give away. I changed the setting to CSM Boot, saved the setting and now have 13.1 working perfectly on the Toshiba Satellite c50d-a (thus far).

Problem Solvered.

Thank you.

Wayne.