Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: VLC can't play after installing codecs

  1. #1

    Default VLC can't play after installing codecs

    I remember I've installed multimedia codec before, but there was a video can't be played.

    So I followed this guide

    http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php

    and chose 1-click-install. Then it added two repos and made some vendor changes or something.

    Now vlc can't play anything. And no error is given when it fails to play.

  2. #2

    Default Re: VLC can't play after installing codecs

    Quote Originally Posted by bonedriven View Post
    Now vlc can't play anything. And no error is given when it fails to play.
    Please post your repo list, and a list of installed vlc packages:
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    rpm -qa | grep vlc
    Probably you installed VLC from the VideoLAN repo before?
    If you mix that with Packman (this is one of the repos the 1-click install adds), you break your multimedia stuff.

  3. #3

    Default Re: VLC can't play after installing codecs

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Please post your repo list, and a list of installed vlc packages:
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    rpm -qa | grep vlc
    Probably you installed VLC from the VideoLAN repo before?
    If you mix that with Packman (this is one of the repos the 1-click install adds), you break your multimedia stuff.
    Thank you for your reply, wolfi.

    It was strange. Just after I made this thread, it could play stuff. I had restarted my laptop after installing the codecs and it couldn't play anything at first.

    However, the one video (.mkv) I'd like to play it still fails. Well, I'll watch it in windows I guess. No big deal.

  4. #4

    Default Re: VLC can't play after installing codecs

    Quote Originally Posted by bonedriven View Post
    However, the one video (.mkv) I'd like to play it still fails. Well, I'll watch it in windows I guess. No big deal.
    Hm, actually .mkv should work just fine. It does at least here with all the files I tried so far.

    Could be that particular file though of course.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canadiana
    Posts
    461

    Default Re: VLC can't play after installing codecs

    On 05/02/2014 10:56 AM, wolfi323 wrote:
    >
    > bonedriven;2640842 Wrote:
    >> However, the one video (.mkv) I'd like to play it still fails. Well,
    >> I'll watch it in windows I guess. No big deal.

    > Hm, actually .mkv should work just fine. It does at least here with all
    > the files I tried so far.
    >
    > Could be that particular file though of course.
    >


    I can confirm that they work for me too. OP if you could share the video
    file, I would be happy to test it for you.


    --
    Bring the Penguins Back! https://features.opensuse.org/316767
    openSUSE 13.1
    KDE 4.13.0

  6. #6

    Default Re: VLC can't play after installing codecs

    Quote Originally Posted by alanbortu View Post
    On 05/02/2014 10:56 AM, wolfi323 wrote:
    >
    > bonedriven;2640842 Wrote:
    >> However, the one video (.mkv) I'd like to play it still fails. Well,
    >> I'll watch it in windows I guess. No big deal.

    > Hm, actually .mkv should work just fine. It does at least here with all
    > the files I tried so far.
    >
    > Could be that particular file though of course.
    >


    I can confirm that they work for me too. OP if you could share the video
    file, I would be happy to test it for you.


    --
    Bring the Penguins Back! https://features.opensuse.org/316767
    openSUSE 13.1
    KDE 4.13.0
    It's too large. In the meantime, the video comes with a sample file, also in .mkv format. That vlc can play, but the whole movie, it just couldn't. I remember I tried it in windows before, without problem. Or it's damaged somehow by now? I'll have to try in windows again to make sure the video is ok.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •