View Poll Results: Do you actually need a Semantic Desktop?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 14.71%
  • Possibly

4 11.76%
  • No

19 55.88%
  • Undecided

2 5.88%
  • Err - What's a Semantic Desktop?

4 11.76%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you actually need a Semantic Desktop?

Default Re: Do you actually need a Semantic Desktop?

Hi!

I had as many others had problems with Nepomuk and Baloo. Takes to much CPU indexing. Well I could live with that. The moore larger problem for me is that my main storage is on my server in the basement. If I have understand it rigth it doesent help me on remote storages.

Oh yes I know it would take mutch moore time to index, -I use to re-index all my photos trow Digikam when ever I re-install my laptop. Even if I have Gigabit over the Lan it takes a lot of time.

Regards
    I'm shameless like others in the forum -was I to any help or made sense? If yes: click the on the star below to the left. Written whit a ;-) in my eye.

I say its a nice concept but needs far better testing and smoothing out before it becomes something viable.

Interesting thread! As far as I can see, the *only* reason it's on my system (I use lxde) is that like many here I use K3b, which is 'nepomuk dependent'. If I find a way to keep K3b while removing nepomuk, boom....there it goes!
    Take Care.
    ---rob
    Have A Healthy, Prosperous Day! Leap-15.1_x86_64 -- KDE Plasma 5-5.55 / Lenovo M78-ThinkCentre / 12gb / 500gb / Radeon 8570D
    Kernel: Linux 4.12.14-lp151.28.32-default / Linux User #3567324

I've been without a Semantic Desktop for almost 2 decades, and never did it occur to me that something like that is a "must have". I keep my data (files, emails, multimedia) very organized as I go along, so only very seldom have I found a need for a tool that aids in finding something. Most of the time when I do need searching help for a file, it is a hidden configuration file.

I am a devout user of KDE, and I admittedly have Nepomuk running, for no particular reason. When I used the "Find" feature in Dolphin, most of the time it has been an abysmal failure because (AKIK) it does not find hidden files, and I tended to search for items that were added too recently to have made it into Nepomuk's index by the time I initiated the search.

I can see the utility of adding metadata to my files, yet I have not really felt compelled to add any tags to my data, probably because I've successfully lived without tagged data for the majority of my computing life. Maybe if I got serious about tagging my data, I could become a fan of the Semantic Desktop concept.

Haven't seen any fully semantic web page 'till now, so Semantic Desktop wouldn't see too.
    As for me that's a stupid idea.
    Of course EU spent a huge amount of money to support Nepomuk development, but do we have any noticeable result ? No.

I've been using this for the past few weeks and here's an update:
    There's been no sudden surges of CPU cycles.
    While I usually can find most of my files using the Filter Bar on Dolphin there are some limits on what that can do.
    If I want to find a specific file inside a folder but can't remember which folder its in the Semantic Desktop helps with that. This has come in handy a few times now.

Now back when we had Beagle this wasn’t so back when it was strigi this wasn't so.
    So far however with baloo & Milou it has been convenient & efficient. I still count myself as a possible.
    I'm just a curious cat
    My 64 bit: RADEON RX 570 |CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600
    MOTHERBOARD B450M D53H GGABYTE
    Opensuse Tumbleweed Plasma 5

being old school my file lookup needs are met by using the findutils-locate package, and the kde4 kio-locate add-on, very simple and effective. This doesn't index the content so people requiring that are better off with nepomukky.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12