Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft porting Office to Linux?

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Microsoft porting Office to Linux?

Wow, this could be a boon to Linux AND be a sign of changing times, all wrapped up in one!

Article: Microsoft may bring Office to Linux in 2014

Of course, nothing is officially announced, and I'm not sure the connection to Java is quite enough to warrant that BUT keep in mind that Microsoft is working fairly closely to Xamarin, the company made by previous Mono developers. A Microsoft Office running on top of Mono for cross-platform compatibility is not all THAT big of a stretch!

I don't know what Office has been written in, or how far they have gone with its push into the Office Online but this could be very interesting, and beneficial, news! It also means that Linux *IS* gaining enough ground to get recognized.
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Default Re: Microsoft porting Office to Linux?

I doubt it. If anything I think it is much more likely that, as with Android, they are thinking simply of writing a client for accessing Office 365 - a good way of keeping their Office income as people move increasingly to Linux as their underlying OS.

Doesn't make much sense considering the current push to make Microsoft a "devices and services" company and to boost their cloud-based and subscription products. As john_hudson says, a client for Office 365 is much more likely.

I'm very.. Well MS did release a version for Ipads. Not to well received I have read. I also think that the push of office users to the cloud is moor important for MS.

Here in Sweden it isn't pass a day whiteout the question comes up in media:
    -do we really have to use MS office?

There is a lot of schools that already converted to LO in Sweden. I read a survey a couple a days ago and the use of MS office in company's are very low compared to the number of licenses paid for.

Oh yes it would be nice to have another alternative in Linux on the office front. On the other hand, LO in the cloud ?

(LO=Libre Office)

As always my own opinions.

Regards
    I'm shameless like others in the forum -was I to any help or made sense? If yes: click the on the star below to the left. Written whit a ;-) in my eye.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dragonbite View Post
    Wow, this could be a boon to Linux AND be a sign of changing times, all wrapped up in one!

Article: Microsoft may bring Office to Linux in 2014
    Microsoft could have and should have done this 10 or more years ago. By now, I see it as too little, too late.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Blog Entries

I hardly ever touch my Microsoft installations and all my work is LO.
    But I do know I can use Word, Excel etc.. online via my MS login, even from a Linux machine.
    I actually find LO easier to use and more intuitive.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Microsoft could have and should have done this 10 or more years ago. By now, I see it as too little, too late.
    10 years ago they were on top of the world, 95% of the desktop market was theirs and Linux was barely a blip on the radar. They didn't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    I hardly ever touch my Microsoft installations and all my work is LO.
    But I do know I can use Word, Excel etc.. online via my MS login, even from a Linux machine.
    I actually find LO easier to use and more intuitive.
    Agreed. The ribbon stuff is confusing to use, although I have to admit I only write very basic documents (notes, essays, etc).
    openSUSE Leap (42.1) 64 bit
    Plasma 5.4

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    I hardly ever touch my Microsoft installations and all my work is LO ... I actually find LO easier to use and more intuitive.
    Same here. Actually, I can't recall the last time I even opened MS Office. I think it was back 2005 or even earlier. In fact, the last time I even opened it to fix it on clients' machines was back at 2009 or earlier.

I am exclusively using Apache's OpenOffice, so pretty much the same thing as LO.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Personally I see Microsoft possibly just going almost full cloud with office as an alternative to google docs but with more functionality.
    Sure they will still offer the commercial suite and still keep it traditional but if Microsoft is smart (which they arent) they would go for something that business owners could use on any platform that includes linux.
    I may jump on board if they do that, if its a small fee on a per month basis I would not necessarily object to using it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast