Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: How to disable 'nosplash' and 'quiet' as boot options ??

  1. #1

    Default How to disable 'nosplash' and 'quiet' as boot options ??

    It is a crying shame!

    I have boot problems using any Linux.

    GParted live CD gives me the option to delete 'nosplash' and 'quiet' before boot.

    openSUSE 13.1 installer DVD doesn't seem to do so.

    Am I wrong?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,325
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: How to disable 'nosplash' and 'quiet' as boot options ??

    Hi
    Press the esc key after the installer starts, else at the grub menu press esc and e to edit, or add the options into the grub option line at the bottom of the screen.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3

    Default Re: How to disable 'nosplash' and 'quiet' as boot options ??

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Press the esc key after the installer starts, else at the grub menu press esc and e to edit, or add the options into the grub option line at the bottom of the screen.
    Thanks!
    I'll try that, after the installation of openSUSE13.1 has finished, some hours later.

    In order to explain a bit more: I entered the additional option ide=nodma to get my system booting from the 13.1 installer DVD.

    However, booting without that option wasn't possible, and I would have liked to get an idea of the reason why.

    Thanks again
    Mike

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,236

    Default Re: How to disable 'nosplash' and 'quiet' as boot options ??

    On 04/29/2014 04:26 PM, ratzi wrote:
    >
    > malcolmlewis;2640260 Wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> Press the esc key after the installer starts, else at the grub menu
    >> press esc and e to edit, or add the options into the grub option line at
    >> the bottom of the screen.

    >
    > Thanks!
    > I'll try that, after the installation of openSUSE13.1 has finished, some
    > hours later.
    >
    > In order to explain a bit more: I entered the additional option
    > ide=nodma to get my system booting from the 13.1 installer DVD.
    >
    > However, booting without that option wasn't possible, and I would have
    > liked to get an idea of the reason why.


    Your hardware cannot handle DMA from the IDE bus, which is how the DVD reader is
    attached. I have no idea why, but it is a "feature" of your hardware. FYI, newer
    computers attach the DVD reader through SATA. As a result, I would guess that
    your box is an older one. I still have a couple of desktops that are configured
    that way, and both of them are capable of booting the DVD without any special
    options.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    32,325
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: How to disable 'nosplash' and 'quiet' as boot options ??

    On Tue 29 Apr 2014 09:26:01 PM CDT, ratzi wrote:


    malcolmlewis;2640260 Wrote:
    > Hi
    > Press the esc key after the installer starts, else at the grub menu
    > press esc and e to edit, or add the options into the grub option line
    > at the bottom of the screen.


    Thanks!
    I'll try that, after the installation of openSUSE13.1 has finished, some
    hours later.

    In order to explain a bit more: I entered the additional option
    ide=nodma to get my system booting from the 13.1 installer DVD.

    However, booting without that option wasn't possible, and I would have
    liked to get an idea of the reason why.

    Thanks again
    Mike


    Hi
    You can always press the alt+ctl+Fn key to get to the different tty's
    when installing, F10 is the kernel messages, from memory the F1 or F7
    for the install messages, or those combinations to get back to the GUI
    installer.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,029

    Default Re: How to disable 'nosplash' and 'quiet' as boot options ??

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    You can always press the alt+ctl+Fn key to get to the different tty's
    when installing, F10 is the kernel messages, from memory the F1 or F7
    for the install messages, or those combinations to get back to the GUI
    installer.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!
    F2 gets you a root terminal command line.

    F7 gets you back.

    I use those to mount a USB key for screenshots during the install.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

  7. #7

    Default Re: How to disable 'nosplash' and 'quiet' as boot options ??

    Quote Originally Posted by lwfinger View Post
    On 04/29/2014 04:26 PM, ratzi wrote:
    >
    > malcolmlewis;2640260 Wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> Press the esc key after the installer starts, else at the grub menu
    >> press esc and e to edit, or add the options into the grub option line at
    >> the bottom of the screen.

    >
    > Thanks!
    > I'll try that, after the installation of openSUSE13.1 has finished, some
    > hours later.
    >
    > In order to explain a bit more: I entered the additional option
    > ide=nodma to get my system booting from the 13.1 installer DVD.
    >
    > However, booting without that option wasn't possible, and I would have
    > liked to get an idea of the reason why.


    Your hardware cannot handle DMA from the IDE bus, which is how the DVD reader is
    attached. I have no idea why, but it is a "feature" of your hardware. FYI, newer
    computers attach the DVD reader through SATA. As a result, I would guess that
    your box is an older one. I still have a couple of desktops that are configured
    that way, and both of them are capable of booting the DVD without any special
    options.
    Hi lwfinger!

    In this thread I asked about how to disable boot options like 'quiet' and 'nosplash'
    running the openSUSE installer.

    Your answer is more about my IDE problems, so find the reply in the other thread, here:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...97#post2640497

    Thanks
    Mike

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: How to disable 'nosplash' and 'quiet' as boot options ??

    On 2014-04-30 03:06, Fraser Bell wrote:
    > I use those to mount a USB key for screenshots during the install.


    Screenshots? Now that's interesting. I know how to mount the stick, but
    not how to do the schreenshots during install. :-?

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  9. #9

    Default Re: How to disable 'nosplash' and 'quiet' as boot options ??

    Hi malcolmlewis!

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Press the esc key after the installer starts, else at the grub menu press esc and e to edit, or add the options into the grub option line at the bottom of the screen.
    The ESC key doesn't work for me.

    When I hit the ESC key after booting from the installer DVD and the picture of the DVD is displayed,
    I get to the boot menu.

    Hitting ESC there again, I get a popup window with the message:

    You are leaving the graphical boot menu and
    starting the text mode interface.
    OK Cancel


    Hitting e here does nothing.

    Hitting Return (for OK) I get to a text version of the boot menu,
    starting with the messages:

    Welcome to openSUSE!
    To start the installation enter 'linux' and press <return>.


    Hitting e here again does nothing.
    I see no option to edit the implied boot options here -
    which is different from GParted live CD.

    I'll try the Ctrl-Alt-Fn keys now.

    Best wishes
    Mike

  10. #10

    Default Re: How to disable 'nosplash' and 'quiet' as boot options ??

    Starting the 'Rescue System' from the installer DVD,
    as well with the option 'ide=nodma',
    I get all the boot messages,
    but then things end up with the message

    Code:
    >>> openSUSE installation program v4.1.5 (c) 1996-2012 SUSE Linux Products GmbH
    Starting udev... modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq (/lib/modules/3.1
    1.6-4-default/initrd/acpi-cpufreq.ko): Device or resource busy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •