OpenSuse version closest to SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 sp2/3

Hello,

I am new to SUSE but quite experienced with Linux and a couple of other distributions (Debian particularly, but also Redhat).

I will be wanting to use SUSE to work on some software development and working with a client using :

SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 Service Pack 2 and 3

To make sure I am as compatible as possible (given not using the enterprise version), what would be the closest version of openSUSE to this? With respect to things like versions of X, software libs (e.g. QT) etc.?

Would openSUSE 11.1 be the version to use? Or would 11.4 be OK?

Many Thanks,

Alastair

Hi
None if your wanting support? What development environment, the SLE SDK provides lots of additional packages?

But in saying that you can generally find what your looking for in a SLE build at;
Search? (On the spanner to the right of the search box, select the SLE release)

Else you can always use OBS and roll your own;

PS, since the primary system is SLE, best look at posting at http://forums.suse.com same login works and we would answer this sort of question there :wink:

Thanks Malcolm. I’m not familiar with all the terminology yet but want to keep things simple. The end result will be sales on SUSE Enterprise Linux I think (I assume supported) but I don’t know full details. I just want to see if I can use a compatible OS in the same way as I’d use Centos 6.2 in lieue of RHEL 6.2, say. I’ll jump over to the the SUSE forums later perhaps.

Thanks, Alastair

Hi
Then using OBS would be your best bet to build SLE compatible rpms for sure. In some cases if only an openSUSE version available, on OBS you can copy the package into your own OBS project and add the SLE repository target, very simple and compatible (but those won’t be supported as such).

OK, having done some actual research, I see I am not the only person asking this sort of RHEL/Centos question and also see that SUSE/OpenSUSE is different. I’ve downloaded SLES11 and will use this and see how it goes.

Thanks, Alastair