Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Benefits of nVidia driver over stock 13.1 install

Default Benefits of nVidia driver over stock 13.1 install

After installing openSuSE 13.1 on two dual-(identical)-monitor setups, I discovered that I have essentially the same performance -- one large screen across the two monitors -- that I had under 11.4 with an nVidia driver and Twinview. Since installation of the nVidia driver is not a trivial exercise, my question is what would be the benefit of doing so? What have I overlooked? What features and performance would this provide?

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Benefits of nVidia driver over stock 13.1 install

Quote Originally Posted by w2tq View Post
    After installing openSuSE 13.1 on two dual-(identical)-monitor setups, I discovered that I have essentially the same performance -- one large screen across the two monitors -- that I had under 11.4 with an nVidia driver and Twinview. Since installation of the nVidia driver is not a trivial exercise, my question is what would be the benefit of doing so? What have I overlooked? What features and performance would this provide?
    I have an older computer, which I have mostly used without the nVidia drivers.

Without the drivers, there are screen artifacts, though mostly not too serious.

For opensuse 12.3 and 13.1, KDE won't run properly with nouveau unless I disable desktop effects. Gnome probably gives trouble, too and you cannot disable desktop effects (though you can use Fallback mode in 12.3 or earlier).

The problem for me came when I did a test-install of opensuse Linux-for-education 13.1 (32bit version). Google-earth came installed, and crashed with the nouveau driver, but was fine with the nVidia driver. It also came with "stellarium", and that would not even start with the nouveau driver, but works fine with the nVidia driver.

If everything that you want to use works well enough with nouveau, then just keep using that. If you find something that malfunctions, then switch to the nVidia driver.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Thank you.

The only thing that is not functioning well on one of the machines is printing from KDE applications and I can't see how the lack of an nVidia driver would cause that. I have two threads running elsewhere in an attempt to resolve that issue.

As I just completed the installations, I will see how the system works and, if need be, I will install the nVidia driver. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly surprised to see the performance under the stock OS.

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 23:06:01 GMT
    w2tq <w2tq@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

> Since installation of the nVidia driver is not a
    > trivial exercise, my question is what would be the benefit of doing
    > so?

I found installation of nVidia driver no problem on 13.1 after adding
    the nVidia repo via YaST.

I switched from nouveau to nVidia as I was getting system freezes with
    mangled displays. These vanished after the switch. However, with
    previous openSUSE versions, I've also had to switch from nVidia to
    nouveau because of problems.

One trivial oddity with switching to nVidia is that I had to increase
    font sizes as the size of characters shrank.

--
    Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
    openSUSE 13.1 (64-bit); KDE 4.13; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
    Kernel: 3.11.10; Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nVidia driver);
    Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

Thanks. I may try it on one of the machines. Previously, on 11.4, I compiled the driver. But if Yast worked, I would prefer to do that.

Am I correct that the driver I want is x11-video-nvidia-G0X (X being 1, 2, or 3)?

Am I correct that the driver I want is x11-video-nvidia-G0X (X being 1, 2, or 3)?
    Well, the driver consists of more than one package. But when you install x11-video-nvidia-G0X, YaST should automatically select all the other necessary ones.

Which one you need (G01, G02, or G03) depends on your graphics card model.
    So which one do you have?

And never install more than one driver at the same time! (f.e. G02 _and_ G03)
    This _will_ cause problems.

Thanks. I am using an ASUS EN9600 and I believe the correct driver would be the 11-video-nvidia-G03 version.

When I select 11-video-nvidia-G03 version in Yast, Yast also selects nvidia-computeG03 and nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-default. For the latter, why not the "desktop" version?

Default AW: Re: Benefits of nVidia driver over stock 13.1 install

Thanks. I am using an ASUS EN9600 and I believe the correct driver would be the 11-video-nvidia-G03 version.

When I select 11-video-nvidia-G03 version in Yast, Yast also selects nvidia-computeG03 and nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-default. For the latter, why not the "desktop" version?
    Did you ever uninstall it?
    In that case YaST/zypper don't want to install that package again automatically. Therefore it selects nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-default instead to satisfy the dependencies.

I take it you are using kernel-desktop right?
    Then please select nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop manually, and also select nvidia-glG03, as that is needed for 3D support.

Or remove the file /var/lib/zypp/SoftLocks before installing the driver.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 28-Apr-2014 at 08:55.

I haven't installed anything yet. I just went into Yast to see what it suggests. When the default version came up, that led me to raise the question about the correct version of the driver.

As you noted, kernel-desktop 3.11.10-7.1 is installed, not the default.

This is probably one of the reasons why I manually installed the driver in suse 11.4.

Yast does not suggest nvidia-glG03, but I understand from your comment why that package should be loaded.

I haven't installed anything yet. I just went into Yast to see what it suggests. When the default version came up, that led me to raise the question about the correct version of the driver.

As you noted, kernel-desktop 3.11.10-7.1 is installed, not the default.
    Then you would need nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-desktop.

If you remove the file /var/lib/zypp/SoftLocks, YaST should make the right selection.
    Code:
    sudo rm /var/lib/zypp/SoftLocks
    Yast does not suggest nvidia-glG03, but I understand from your comment why that package should be loaded.
    This package is only "recommended", not required, to make it possible to have the driver installed without the GL components.
    This is to make it possible to use CUDA on Optimus systems, while still using the Intel chip for the display.

But as I said, if you ever uninstalled that package, YaST/zypper won't install it automatically any more, because it is _not_ required.

This behaviour regarding the SoftLocks file has been removed not too long ago (because it can lead to unexpected behaviour, especially in this case of installing the nvidia driver), so something like this won't happen any more in openSUSE 13.2.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast