overpass-api on opensuse 13.1

i want to install overpass.api on opensuse 13.1

what is needed to do that.

are there things i have to get via YAST - or do i need to get all via Terminal!?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated

greetings

hello and good morning,

hmm - is anybody able to help here ?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/install

This page tells you how to install the OSM3S server such that you can use it as a local OSM mirror.
Additional functionality like management of areas and the line diagram utils aren’t covered yet.

**System Requirements
It is highly recommended that you have at least the following hardware resources available for an OSM planet server:

1 GB of RAM (less is acceptable if you have more processor resources)
40 GB of hard disk space (80-100 GB if you want minutely updates, less if you use a smaller extract file)

It is required that you have the following resources:

Access to Expat and a C++ compiler
An OSM file in XML format compressed in bzip format (CloudMade is an excellent resource for this. Another good resource is located on the Planet.osm page.)

NOTE: You do not need a database engine (e.g. MySQL or PostgreSQL); the database back-end is included in the OSM3S package.

You will need to identify or create:

$EXEC_DIR: The root directory in which executable files should be installed (/bin/ suffix removed). (~100 MB). For example, a good place might be: /srv/osm3s
$DB_DIR: a directory to store the database
$PLANET_FILE: a place for the compressed (bzip) OSM planet/extract file (up to 10 GB)
$REPLICATE_DIR: a directory to store minutely (or otherwise) diffs (only necessary if you decide to configure minutely updates below)

NOTE: If you run into 403 forbidden errors on apache , try the following locations

love to hear from you

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/install

update:

regarding the above mentioned instructions

well we will have to port those Ubuntu instructions to suse;
suse dose not use the Debian “apt-get”
suse uses “zypper” or the yast GUI
and depending on HOW we install opensuse 13 it may or might not use “sudo”
we have the option to set a different root password than the first non root user

the “su -” VS. “sudo” debate

also OpenSUSE 13.1 is using gcc 4.9
and osm-3s_v0.7.3.tar.gz is from March 2013
14 months old and might NOT yet build using gcc 4.9 - that can get a big problem

weu might have to install gcc 4.3 from the suse open build service “gcc/devel” repo

regarding the gcc 4.9
should i use this!?

btw: i also mailed the developer of overpass-api:

the developer (at overpass-api.de ) told yesterday that he is workin on the new instructions

get the new tar.gz which will be at overpass-api.de/misc with the most actual version.

• this tar.gz we can install with the commands “configure” - “make install”

• important preliminary installation: Expat must exist on the OpenSuse;

• subsequently we need to have an expat first: if we google then we find something like that: “expat devel opensuse”
    openSUSE Software (which might look like an good source for RPM),

i will try to install all the stuff at the weekend.

No matter how you install openSUSE 13.1, sudo should be available. But in the default openSUSE configuration, sudo needs the root password, not the user’s password. This can be configured with “visudo”, but I guess that is out of scope here… :wink:

Yes, you can change the root password independently of the first user’s password, but that’s unrelated to overpass-api.

The main difference between openSUSE and Ubuntu in this regard is that, as mentioned, openSUSE’s sudo needs the root password, where Ubuntu’s needs the user’s password. On Ubuntu the default setup is that only the first user created during installation may use sudo though AFAIK (it would be a BIG security risk if every user could use sudo without restrictions, this would just nullify the existence of permissions/different user accounts), whereas on openSUSE everyone can (but needs the root password).

also OpenSUSE 13.1 is using gcc 4.9
and osm-3s_v0.7.3.tar.gz is from March 2013
14 months old and might NOT yet build using gcc 4.9 - that can get a big problem

weu might have to install gcc 4.3 from the suse open build service “gcc/devel” repo

regarding the gcc 4.9
should i use this!?

No.
openSUSE 13.1 comes with gcc-4.8.

• subsequently we need to have an expat first: if we google then we find something like that: “expat devel opensuse”
    openSUSE Software (which might look like an good source for RPM),

expat is included in the standard distribution.
Just run “sudo zypper in libexpat-devel” or install it in YaST.