Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: update the apache: how can i do a update via yast?

Default update the apache: how can i do a update via yast?

have opensuse 13,1 up and running.

but i have issues with the apache . guess that i have messed up the configuration.

how can i check that.
    how can i do a update via yast?

look forward to hear from you
    dilbert ;-)
    Wordpress-development - a Toolset: wpgear.org

Default Re: update the apache: how can i do a update via yast?

Quote Originally Posted by dilbertone View Post
    have opensuse 13,1 up and running.

but i have issues with the apache . guess that i have messed up the configuration.
    Again?
    Or does it still not work?

how can i check that.
    You should know this already:
    Code:
    sudo systemctl status apache2
    And enter "http://localhost" as address into a web browser, this should give you a test page at least, if Apache is running.

how can i do a update via yast?
    What kind of update do you mean?

Enter YaST->Online Updates to install the official updates.
    Or right-click on the package(s) in YaST->Software Management and select "Update".

If you want to update to a different version, you have to add an additional repo and then switch the package(s) to the versions from that repo, by using the "Versions" tab.

But if your configuration is broken, this won't help anyway.
    The configuration files are _not_ replaced when you update/re-install apache.
    And that's a good thing (tm)!

To get the default configuration, just remove the directory /etc/apache2 and re-install the apache2 package.
    Code:
    sudo rm -r /etc/apache2
    sudo zypper in -f apache2
    But of course _all_ changes you manually did to the configuration will be lost when you do this.

So better just rename it:
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/apache2 /etc/apache2.bak
    sudo zypper in -f apache2
    Last edited by wolfi323; 24-Apr-2014 at 01:33.

hello dear wolfi

currently i am on holiday and have not enough time nor bandwith to do extensive talks & investigations. But i will do more checks and i sure will digg deeper into all your advices at the weekend.
    So i expect to get more out of all the Apache-things at the weekend.

then i come back and report more

meanwhile - many many thanks for all your help
    greetings

dilbert
    ps - you do a great job here. Many many thanks
    dilbert ;-)

hello dear wofi

here the output

guess that i now have totally new settings

Code:
    linux-70ce:/home/martin/osmosis # sudo zypper in -f apache2
    Daten des Repositories laden ...
    Installierte Pakete lesen ...
    Installation von 'apache2-2.4.6-6.19.2.i586' aus Repository 'openSUSE 13.1 OSS Update' wird erzwungen.
    Paketabhängigkeiten auflösen ...

The following package is going to be reinstalled:
      apache2 

1 zu installierendes Paket.
    Gesamtgröße des Downloads: 986,8 KiB. Kein zusätzlicher Speicherplatz wird nach dieser Operation belegt oder 
    freigegeben.
    Fortfahren? [j/n/? zeigt alle Optionen] (j): j
    Paket apache2-2.4.6-6.19.2.i586 wird abgerufen                                   (1/1), 986,8 KiB (  3,3 MiB entpackt)
    Abruf: apache2-2.4.6-6.19.2.i586.rpm .........................................................................[fertig]
    (1/1) Installation von: apache2-2.4.6-6.19.2 .................................................................[fertig]
    Zusätzliche rpm-Ausgabe:
    /usr/sbin/suexec2: cannot verify root:root 0755 - not listed in /etc/permissions
    Updating /etc/sysconfig/apache2...
    looking for old 2.0 modules to be renamed...
    Done.

linux-70ce:/home/martin/osmosis #

later to day i wiill check if the apache is working correctly
    guess that i can run locahost - with success

i come back and report all my findings

dilbert ;-)

hi

update - nope at the moment the localhost is not workin
    guess that i have to make some configurations first

- can i check some things with the terminal - to get a better overview on the current situation?
    dilbert ;-)

update - nope at the moment the localhost is not workin
    guess that i have to make some configurations first
    No.

Did you remove the old configuration first before re-installing apache2?
    Code:
    sudo rm -r /etc/apache2/*
    As I said, the existing configuration will _not_ be replaced when you re-install the package.
    You should also re-install the packages "apache2-doc", "apache2-mod_perl", "apache2-mod_php5" and "yast2-instserver", as they also contain files in /etc/apache2/.
    But if those files are missing, apache2 should start anyway.

Did you actually start apache?
    Code:
    sudo systemctl start apache2
    or to enable it to be started automatically on boot:
    Code:
    sudo systemctl enable apache2
    You can also use YaST->System->Services Manager for both things.

Do you actually have a index.html in /srv/www/htdocs/? A simple test page is available in the package "apache2-example-pages". Do you have that installed?

And as you have been told a few times already, to check whether apache2 is running, use:
    Code:
    sudo systemctl status apache2
    This would also show the reason why it failed to start.

And apache's log files are in /var/log/apache2/.

hello again thx for your quick reply

see the commands i have applied.

Code:
    linux-70ce:/home/martin/osmosis # sudo zypper in -f apache2
    Installation von 'apache2-2.4.6-6.19.2.i586' aus Repository 'openSUSE 13.1 OSS Update' wird erzwungen.

The following package is going to be reinstalled:
      apache2 

1 zu installierendes Paket.
    Gesamtgröße des Downloads: 986,8 KiB. Kein zusätzlicher Speicherplatz wird nach dieser Operation belegt oder 
    freigegeben.
    Paket apache2-2.4.6-6.19.2.i586 wird abgerufen                                   (1/1), 986,8 KiB (  3,3 MiB entpackt)
    Abruf: apache2-2.4.6-6.19.2.i586.rpm .........................................................................[fertig]
    (1/1) Installation von: apache2-2.4.6-6.19.2 .................................................................[fertig]
    Zusätzliche rpm-Ausgabe:
    /usr/sbin/suexec2: cannot verify root:root 0755 - not listed in /etc/permissions
    Updating /etc/sysconfig/apache2...
    looking for old 2.0 modules to be renamed...
    Done.

linux-70ce:/home/martin/osmosis # sudo rm -r /etc/apache2/*
    linux-70ce:/home/martin/osmosis # sudo systemctl start apache2
    Job for apache2.service failed. See 'systemctl status apache2.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
    linux-70ce:/home/martin/osmosis # sudo systemctl enable apache2
    linux-70ce:/home/martin/osmosis # sudo systemctl status apache2
    apache2.service - The Apache Webserver
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/apache2.service; enabled)
       Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since So 2014-04-27 21:36:51 CEST; 27s ago
     Main PID: 31268 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Apr 27 21:36:51 linux-70ce.site start_apache2[31286]: /usr/share/apache2/get_module_list: line 141: 3: Bad file...ptor
    Apr 27 21:36:51 linux-70ce.site start_apache2[31286]: /usr/share/apache2/get_module_list: line 144: 3: Bad file...ptor
    Apr 27 21:36:51 linux-70ce.site start_apache2[31286]: /usr/share/apache2/get_module_list: line 151: 3: Bad file...ptor
    Apr 27 21:36:51 linux-70ce.site start_apache2[31286]: /usr/share/apache2/get_includes: line 15: /etc/apache2/sy...tory
    Apr 27 21:36:51 linux-70ce.site start_apache2[31286]: /usr/share/apache2/get_includes: line 16: 3: Bad file descriptor
    Apr 27 21:36:51 linux-70ce.site start_apache2[31286]: /usr/share/apache2/get_includes: line 43: 3: Bad file descriptor
    Apr 27 21:36:51 linux-70ce.site start_apache2[31286]: httpd2-prefork: Could not open configuration file /etc/ap...tory
    Apr 27 21:36:51 linux-70ce.site systemd[1]: apache2.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
    Apr 27 21:36:51 linux-70ce.site systemd[1]: Failed to start The Apache Webserver.
    Apr 27 21:36:51 linux-70ce.site systemd[1]: Unit apache2.service entered failed state.
    Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.
    guess that i have to do some configurations first.

or do i need to do more (other ) steps .... look forward to hear from you

Many many thanks for all you did so far.
    Your help in this forum is very very supportive and helpful...
    dilbert ;-)

hello again thx for your quick reply

see the commands i have applied.

Code:
    Apr 27 21:36:51 linux-70ce.site start_apache2[31286]: /usr/share/apache2/get_module_list: line 141: 3: Bad file...ptor
    Apr 27 21:36:51 linux-70ce.site start_apache2[31286]: /usr/share/apache2/get_module_list: line 144: 3: Bad file...ptor
    Apr 27 21:36:51 linux-70ce.site start_apache2[31286]: /usr/share/apache2/get_module_list: line 151: 3: Bad file...ptor
    Apr 27 21:36:51 linux-70ce.site start_apache2[31286]: /usr/share/apache2/get_includes: line 15: /etc/apache2/sy...tory
    Apr 27 21:36:51 linux-70ce.site start_apache2[31286]: /usr/share/apache2/get_includes: line 16: 3: Bad file descriptor
    Apr 27 21:36:51 linux-70ce.site start_apache2[31286]: /usr/share/apache2/get_includes: line 43: 3: Bad file descriptor
    Apr 27 21:36:51 linux-70ce.site start_apache2[31286]: httpd2-prefork: Could not open configuration file /etc/ap...tory
    Apr 27 21:36:51 linux-70ce.site systemd[1]: apache2.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
    Apr 27 21:36:51 linux-70ce.site systemd[1]: Failed to start The Apache Webserver.
    Apr 27 21:36:51 linux-70ce.site systemd[1]: Unit apache2.service entered failed state.
    Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.
    Please use "sudo systemctl status -l apache2" to see the full output as the message suggests (and you have been told already in a different thread).
    But as far as I can decipher that, /etc/apache2 seems to be missing.

You should of course remove the configuration _before_ you re-install apache2, _not_ afterwards.
    So please re-install the package(s) again:

Code:
    sudo zypper in -f apache2-doc apache2-mod_perl apache2-mod_php5 yast2-instserver
    (but better check first which of those packages are actually installed and only re-install those)

hello

just a quick reply - (since i have to leave the house in the next five minutes)
    Code:
    linux-70ce:/home/martin/osmosis # sudo zypper in -f apache2-doc apache2-mod_perl apache2-mod_php5 yast2-instserver
    Installation von 'apache2-mod_php5-5.4.20-4.1.i586' aus Repository 'openSUSE 13.1 OSS Update' wird erzwungen.
    Installation von 'apache2-mod_perl-2.0.8-4.1.3.i586' aus Repository 'openSUSE 13.1 OSS' wird erzwungen.
    Installation von 'yast2-instserver-3.0.1-1.1.noarch' aus Repository 'openSUSE 13.1 OSS' wird erzwungen.
    Installation von 'apache2-doc-2.4.6-6.19.2.noarch' aus Repository 'openSUSE 13.1 OSS Update' wird erzwungen.

The following NEW package is going to be installed:
      yast2-instserver 

The following 3 packages are going to be reinstalled:
      apache2-doc apache2-mod_perl apache2-mod_php5 

1 neues Paket zu installieren, 3 erneut zu installieren.
    Gesamtgröße des Downloads: 7,0 MiB. Nach der Operation werden zusätzlich 136,1 KiB belegt.
    Paket apache2-mod_perl-2.0.8-4.1.3.i586 wird abgerufen                           (1/4),   3,1 MiB (  7,3 MiB entpackt)
    Abruf: apache2-mod_perl-2.0.8-4.1.3.i586.rpm .....................................................[fertig (1,3 MiB/s)]
    Paket yast2-instserver-3.0.1-1.1.noarch wird abgerufen                           (2/4),  34,5 KiB (136,1 KiB entpackt)
    Abruf: yast2-instserver-3.0.1-1.1.noarch.rpm .................................................................[fertig]
    Paket apache2-doc-2.4.6-6.19.2.noarch wird abgerufen                             (3/4),   2,6 MiB ( 18,0 MiB entpackt)
    Abruf: apache2-doc-2.4.6-6.19.2.noarch.rpm .......................................................[fertig (1,3 MiB/s)]
    Paket apache2-mod_php5-5.4.20-4.1.i586 wird abgerufen                            (4/4),   1,2 MiB (  5,8 MiB entpackt)
    Abruf: apache2-mod_php5-5.4.20-4.1.i586.rpm ......................................................[fertig (1,2 MiB/s)]
    (1/4) Installation von: apache2-mod_perl-2.0.8-4.1.3 .........................................................[fertig]
    (2/4) Installation von: yast2-instserver-3.0.1-1.1 ...........................................................[fertig]
    (3/4) Installation von: apache2-doc-2.4.6-6.19.2 .............................................................[fertig]
    (4/4) Installation von: apache2-mod_php5-5.4.20-4.1 ..........................................................[fertig]

will do more tomorrow - and do more checks and tests
    dilbert ;-)

just a note:
    Code:
    The following NEW package is going to be installed:
      yast2-instserver
    So you didn't have yast2-instserver installed before.

you can of course uninstall it again if you want.
    I don't think you would need it...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast