Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: No network, problems installing WLAN driver

  1. #1

    Default No network, problems installing WLAN driver

    Hello

    I tested Opensuse 13.1 KDE live on my netbook and it worked so good and without problems that I installed Opensuse 13.1 KDE

    The installation already made some problems (automatic configuration stuck) but i thought this shouldnt be much an problem.

    But now suddenly neither the WLAN nor the ethernet driver seems to work, so I though i would install it manually. With all the missing dependencies I am literally stuck now.

    http://pkgs.org/opensuse-13.1/packma....rpm/download/ This is the driver i probably need, sinde I have a Broadcom card (Device Identifier(spec): 73799, Device Identifier: 83751)
    For that RPM to work I require broadcom-wl-kmp, so I searched for that rpm, downloaded it, copied it to the netbook but I couldnt install it either, it says:
    Code:
    nothing provides kernel-uname-r = 3.11.10.7-desktop needed by broadcom-wI-kmp-desktrop-6.30.223.141_k3.11.10_7-2.7.x86_64
    It seems to me I am missing a kernel update or something, but without any access to internet I cant update my system.

    I than got some hope finding this thread: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ierwork-around but after again manually resolving all the missing dependencies via RPMs and doing the install, nothing changed.

    So I am pretty much out of ideads what I could do now. Would be cool if anyone could help, but remember I do not have direct access to internet on that netbook, since both WLAN and Ethernet drivers are not working.

  2. #2

    Default Re: No network, problems installing WLAN driver

    Quote Originally Posted by JakobAbfalter View Post
    http://pkgs.org/opensuse-13.1/packma....rpm/download/ This is the driver i probably need, sinde I have a Broadcom card (Device Identifier(spec): 73799, Device Identifier: 83751)
    For that RPM to work I require broadcom-wl-kmp, so I searched for that rpm, downloaded it, copied it to the netbook but I couldnt install it either, it says:
    Code:
    nothing provides kernel-uname-r = 3.11.10.7-desktop needed by broadcom-wI-kmp-desktrop-6.30.223.141_k3.11.10_7-2.7.x86_64
    It seems to me I am missing a kernel update or something, but without any access to internet I cant update my system.

    I than got some hope finding this thread: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ierwork-around but after again manually resolving all the missing dependencies via RPMs and doing the install, nothing changed.

    So I am pretty much out of ideads what I could do now. Would be cool if anyone could help, but remember I do not have direct access to internet on that netbook, since both WLAN and Ethernet drivers are not working.
    Well, if your WLAN was working on the LiveCD, you shouldn't need to install any driver or firmware.

    Please post the output of "lspci -nnk", so that we can see what wireless and ethernet chipset you really have.
    And also "uname -a" so that we know which kernel you are using.

    BTW, for the wl driver to work, you need both "broadcom-wl" and "broadcom-wl-kmp-xxx".

    And try to switch between "User-controlled with NetworkManager" and "Traditional method using ifup" in YaST->Network Devices->Network Settings->Global Options.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 22-Apr-2014 at 05:42.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,857
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: No network, problems installing WLAN driver

    In openSUSE you need to do

    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk
    to get the info asked for

    I can reiterate that if wireless was working under live session, it should work once installed. Though I have seen this problem mentioned before.

    It's useful to compare that code from both the live session and the installed system!
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  4. #4

    Default Re: No network, problems installing WLAN driver

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Well, if your WLAN was working on the LiveCD, you shouldn't need to install any driver or firmware.

    Please post the output of "lspci -nnk", so that we can see what wireless and ethernet chipset you really have.
    And also "uname -a" so that we know which kernel you are using.

    BTW, for the wl driver to work, you need both "broadcom-wl" and "broadcom-wl-kmp-xxx".

    And try to switch between "User-controlled with NetworkManager" and "Traditional method using ifup" in YaST->Network Devices->Network Settings->Global Options.
    The switch to "User-controlled with NetworkManager" broke my system. The screen frooze and now opensuse wont boot anymore...
    Seems not to be my day today

  5. #5

    Default Re: No network, problems installing WLAN driver

    Quote Originally Posted by JakobAbfalter View Post
    The switch to "User-controlled with NetworkManager" broke my system. The screen frooze and now opensuse wont boot anymore...
    This should not happen.
    You seem to have other problems as well then. Maybe caused by the stuff you installed?

    Could you please elaborate on "now opensuse won't boot anymore"?
    What exactly happens when you try to boot?
    Have you tried "Recovery Mode" under "Advanced Options" in the boot menu?

  6. #6

    Default Re: No network, problems installing WLAN driver

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    This should not happen.
    You seem to have other problems as well then. Maybe caused by the stuff you installed?

    Could you please elaborate on "now opensuse won't boot anymore"?
    What exactly happens when you try to boot?
    Have you tried "Recovery Mode" under "Advanced Options" in the boot menu?
    After the user login nothing happens anymore. This is all probably due to the fact that the automatic configuration after the OS installation didnt work, and i had to cancel that. I already made another thread about that issue, but I couldnt resolve it, even after 5 times of trying to install.

  7. #7

    Default Re: No network, problems installing WLAN driver

    Quote Originally Posted by JakobAbfalter View Post
    After the user login nothing happens anymore. This is all probably due to the fact that the automatic configuration after the OS installation didnt work, and i had to cancel that. I already made another thread about that issue, but I couldnt resolve it, even after 5 times of trying to install.
    Click on the wrench symbol on the login screen and select "IceWM" or "twm".
    This should give you a graphical UI at least.

    If you have auto-login enabled (which is default on a new installation), press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace twice to get to the login screen.

    And you didn't answer that one yet:
    Have you tried "Recovery Mode" under "Advanced Options" in the boot menu?
    Last edited by wolfi323; 22-Apr-2014 at 06:56.

  8. #8

    Default Re: No network, problems installing WLAN driver

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Click on the wrench symbol on the login screen and select "IceWM" or "twm".
    This should give you a graphical UI at least.

    If you have auto-login enabled (which is default on a new installation), press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace twice to get to the login screen.

    And you didn't answer that one yet:
    Ok i reinstalled Opensuse 13.1 KDE.
    Sadly again in the automatic configurations it got stuck (pretty much the same way it did when i changed to the NetworkManager Setting in Yast)
    Anyway I canceled the configurations and now can use the system again now, but there is no configuration done, like there is not even a User at the moment. I hope if I could install the right driver, that at least the internet would finally run.
    Here are the requested outputs:

    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller [8086:0104] (rev 09)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:108d]
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0106] (rev 09)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:108d]
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915
    00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller [8086:1e31] (rev 04)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:108d]
        Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
        Kernel modules: xhci_hcd
    00:16.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 [8086:1e3a] (rev 04)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:108d]
        Kernel driver in use: mei_me
    00:1a.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 [8086:1e2d] (rev 04)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:108d]
        Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
    00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1e20] (rev 04)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:107f]
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 [8086:1e10] (rev c4)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
        Kernel modules: shpchp
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 [8086:1e12] (rev c4)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
        Kernel modules: shpchp
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 [8086:1e16] (rev c4)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
        Kernel modules: shpchp
    00:1d.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 [8086:1e26] (rev 04)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:108d]
        Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family LPC Controller [8086:1e5e] (rev 04)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:108d]
        Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich
        Kernel modules: lpc_ich
    00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [8086:1e03] (rev 04)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:108d]
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
    00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller [8086:1e22] (rev 04)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:108d]
        Kernel modules: i2c_i801
    02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
        Subsystem: AzureWave Device [1a3b:2047]
        Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge
        Kernel modules: bcma
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Qualcomm Atheros AR8162 Fast Ethernet [1969:1090] (rev 10)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:200f]
        Kernel driver in use: alx
        Kernel modules: alx
    Code:
    Linux linux 3.11.6-4-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Oct 30 18:04:56 UTC 2013 (e6d4a27) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  9. #9

    Default Re: No network, problems installing WLAN driver

    Quote Originally Posted by JakobAbfalter View Post
    Ok i reinstalled Opensuse 13.1 KDE.
    Sadly again in the automatic configurations it got stuck (pretty much the same way it did when i changed to the NetworkManager Setting in Yast)
    Anyway I canceled the configurations and now can use the system again now, but there is no configuration done, like there is not even a User at the moment. I hope if I could install the right driver, that at least the internet would finally run.
    Here are the requested outputs:

    Code:
    02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
        Subsystem: AzureWave Device [1a3b:2047]
        Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge
        Kernel modules: bcma
    Ok, you do have a broadcom device.
    I wonder how it did work using the LiveCD then, or did just the ethernet work?

    I would suggest you reinstall again and add "brokenmodules=b43" to the Installation medium's boot options.
    (If you have an input line there just enter this and select "Installation", otherwise press 'e', search for the line starting with "linux" and append it to the end, then press 'F10' to start the installation)
    Or try to disable the wireless in the BIOS or via the hardware switch if possible.

    And/or manually select "kernel-firmware" to be installed at the installation summary screen (click on "Software" or whatever it is called).

    As you aborted the automatic configuration, it is clear why no user was created.
    Your ethernet should actually just work AFAICS.

    If your installation boots, we can continue installing the wl driver then, which should make your wireless work.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,236

    Default Re: No network, problems installing WLAN driver

    On 04/22/2014 11:36 AM, wolfi323 wrote:
    >
    > JakobAbfalter;2638454 Wrote:
    >> Ok i reinstalled Opensuse 13.1 KDE.
    >> Sadly again in the automatic configurations it got stuck (pretty much
    >> the same way it did when i changed to the NetworkManager Setting in
    >> Yast)
    >> Anyway I canceled the configurations and now can use the system again
    >> now, but there is no configuration done, like there is not even a User
    >> at the moment. I hope if I could install the right driver, that at least
    >> the internet would finally run.
    >> Here are the requested outputs:
    >>
    >>>

    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > > > 02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter [14e4:4727] (rev 01)

    > > Subsystem: AzureWave Device [1a3b:2047]
    > > Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge
    > > Kernel modules: bcma

    > --------------------
    >>>

    >>

    > Ok, you do have a broadcom device.
    > I wonder how it did work using the LiveCD then, or did just the ethernet
    > work?
    >
    > I would suggest you reinstall again and add "brokenmodules=b43" to the
    > Installation medium's boot options.


    This line is not necessary. Driver b43 is not coded for this device. On the
    other hand, brcmsmac is, and that is likely why wireless worked from the Live
    medium.

    Installing wl for this device is probably a waste. After all, wl and brcmsmac
    are both developed by Broadcom engineers, and there is probably no difference in
    the performance. Given that, not having to worry about loss of wireless every
    time the kernel is updated is a big deal. In addition, loading brcmsmac will not
    taint the kernel the way that wl does.



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •