Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Checksum errors when updating - how to proceed safely?

Arrow Checksum errors when updating - how to proceed safely?

Hey Geeks!

I'm running openSUSE Tumbleweed, upgrading all packages every single day. Since several days I'm getting a checksum error on package kdebase4-runtime-branding-openSUSE-13.1-2.9.x86_64.rpm and now I'm concerned someone could try to push modified packages to my system. That is usually the point where I break up the update. Does anybody else here experience this stuff? What is the recommended procedure when this happens? Wait till nerw packages come out?

On another side-note: How about the security signing-keys of several repositories like the OBS which expire in 12 days from today? Will they be renewed in time or do they change? Is it recommended to trust these keys long-term or just for the time of the update?

Thank you for giving me a hint on these things.

SecUpwN

Default Re: Checksum errors when updating - how to proceed safely?

Quote Originally Posted by SecUpwN View Post
    I'm running openSUSE Tumbleweed, upgrading all packages every single day. Since several days I'm getting a checksum error on package kdebase4-runtime-branding-openSUSE-13.1-2.9.x86_64.rpm and now I'm concerned someone could try to push modified packages to my system. That is usually the point where I break up the update. Does anybody else here experience this stuff? What is the recommended procedure when this happens? Wait till nerw packages come out?
    You should have posted this in the Tumbleweed forum.
    But there's already a thread about it:
    http://forums.opensuse.org/showthrea...on-2-packages/

In short, apparently some mirror has broken packages at the moment.
    Nobody is tying to push modified packages, probably the install would just fail even if you would force it.

On another side-note: How about the security signing-keys of several repositories like the OBS which expire in 12 days from today? Will they be renewed in time or do they change? Is it recommended to trust these keys long-term or just for the time of the update?
    I guess they will be renewed in time.

It is your own decision whether you trust them or not, but it doesn't matter much if you trust them for the time of the update or long-term I'd say.

As explained above. Tumbleweed users are best served in the Tumbleweed forum, where the other Tumbleweed useers are.

This is CLOSED and will be moved.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    This is CLOSED and will be moved.
    Moved from Applications and open again.
    Henk van Velden

@hcvv, thanks for moving my thread. With todays update to kdebase4-workspace-branding-openSUSE-13.1-2.10.x86_64.rpm everything worked as expected and I'm back to a normal life without paranoia. Cheers, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by SecUpwN View Post
    @hcvv, thanks for moving my thread. With todays update to kdebase4-workspace-branding-openSUSE-13.1-2.10.x86_64.rpm everything worked as expected and I'm back to a normal life without paranoia. Cheers, folks!
    Gosh, you're lucky
    I'm still getting this

Code:
    181 packages to upgrade, 8 new, 8  to change vendor.
    Overall download size: 417.9 MiB. After the operation, additional 701.8 MiB will be used.
    Continue? [y/n/? shows all options] (y): 
    Retrieving package kdebase4-runtime-branding-openSUSE-13.1-2.9.x86_64                                                              (1/189), 740.7 KiB (839.6 KiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: kdebase4-runtime-branding-openSUSE-13.1-2.9.x86_64.rpm ................................................................................................[error]
    File './x86_64/kdebase4-runtime-branding-openSUSE-13.1-2.9.x86_64.rpm' not found on medium 'http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/Tumbleweed/standard/'
    Here's what it says on the factory mailing list from a Jiri slabi

On 04/21/2014 12:45 PM, ellanios82 wrote:
    Hello List,

- in case of interest, i read :

[Tumbleweed|http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...weed/standard/]
    Can't provide file
    './x86_64/kdebase4-runtime-branding-openSUSE-13.1-2.9.x86_64.rpm' from
    repository 'Tumbleweed'
    History:
    - kdebase4-runtime-branding-openSUSE-13.1-2.9.x86_64.rpm has wrong
    checksum

Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (a): a
    I triggered a rebuild. I see it fixed now and you?

--
    js
    suse labs
    and a reply to that from Hendrik Woltersdorf:

Today I was able to install this package and two similar ones (in the
    32bit version) without checksum errors.

Thanks,
    Hendrik
    I saw the other thread about using a tumbleweed backup repo but didn't fancy that for a work(a)round one bit.

Maybe I just have to wait longer for a mirror near me (NZ) to sync...perhaps,

Best wishes
    Dell Inspiron 560
    Intel® Pentium® Dual Core E5500
    4GB DDR3 | Nvidia GeForce 310
    Plasma

Default AW: Re: Checksum errors when updating - how to proceed safely?

Quote Originally Posted by folkpuddle View Post
    Gosh, you're lucky
    I'm still getting this

Code:
    181 packages to upgrade, 8 new, 8  to change vendor.
    Overall download size: 417.9 MiB. After the operation, additional 701.8 MiB will be used.
    Continue? [y/n/? shows all options] (y): 
    Retrieving package kdebase4-runtime-branding-openSUSE-13.1-2.9.x86_64                                                              (1/189), 740.7 KiB (839.6 KiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: kdebase4-runtime-branding-openSUSE-13.1-2.9.x86_64.rpm ................................................................................................[error]
    File './x86_64/kdebase4-runtime-branding-openSUSE-13.1-2.9.x86_64.rpm' not found on medium 'http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/Tumbleweed/standard/'
    You're still trying to install the package version 13.1-2.9, that one does not exists any more in the Tumbleweed repo (there's only 13.1-2.10 now at the moment).

So it seems your repo cache is outdated.
    Try to run "zypper ref" before running "zypper dup".

If that doesn't help, you will have to wait I suppose, until the mirror you get redirected to has fully synced.

You do have Auto-refresh enabled for the Tumbleweed repo, I hope?

Here's what it says on the factory mailing list from a Jiri slabi...

I saw the other thread about using a tumbleweed backup repo but didn't fancy that for a work(a)round one bit.

Maybe I just have to wait longer for a mirror near me (NZ) to sync...perhaps,
    Hi, I also waited then yesterday (UTC+1) saw the ML post from Jiri, and upgraded without issue. Seems ok so far, and hopefully your mirror will get there.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Default Re: AW: Re: Checksum errors when updating - how to proceed safely?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    ............[snipped]

You do have Auto-refresh enabled for the Tumbleweed repo, I hope?
    Aha! I do not have auto refresh enabled - never have. Exercising my personal choice do you see.

However I've not been in this particular situation before so it never occurred to me that might just be the thing to do.

I reckon you have given me the solution.

Tomorrow I can run my zypper ref and I expect all will be well.

Many thanks,

folkpuddle
    Dell Inspiron 560
    Intel® Pentium® Dual Core E5500
    4GB DDR3 | Nvidia GeForce 310
    Plasma

Aha! I do not have auto refresh enabled - never have. Exercising my personal choice do you see.
    Of course this is your choice.

But the Tumbleweed repo is constantly changing (that's its purpose, isn't it?), so you should run "zypper ref" before any other zypper operation.
    A refresh is only done when the repo metadata changes, anyway.
    And without a metadata refresh, "zypper dup" won't even see new updates, or you will get such errors that you have seen when trying to install packages.

So I don't think it makes much sense to have Auto-Refresh disabled for the Tumbleweed repo. But well, it really is _your_ decision in the end...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast