Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Missing libX11.so.6

  1. #1

    Default Missing libX11.so.6

    Hi,

    I recently installed Opensuse 13.1 64 bits as dual boot on a Dell laptop.
    Things look ok but I tried to install an old program I used before and I got the following message :
    error while loading shared libraries : libX11.so.6 : cannot open shared object file : No such file or directory

    So, something called libX11.so.6 is clearly missing. The software I'm using is rather old and most likely 32 bits (it used to work
    on previous 32 bit Opensuse installations like 11.4).

    I found his :
    http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/opensu....1.2.i586.html

    but I'm a bit concerned as it requires all sort of other stuff I'm not sure about (see under "Requires").
    I'd rather do it through Yast but even there I did not find something called exactly like that and it warned me
    that it was going to uninstall other things. So I got worried and gave up.

    Any ideas ?
    Thank you very much in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,733
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Missing libX11.so.6

    but I tried to install an old program
    Tell us about this....
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  3. #3

    Default Re: Missing libX11.so.6

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Tell us about this....
    I think the installation of the program itself is correct, it's just that that library is not there.
    In fact, looking in my older Opensuse 11.4 32 bits, I can see it under /usr/local/lib

    There is a file called /usr/local/lib/libX11.so.6

    The same file is not in the correspondent directory in the newer 13.1 64 bit installation.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,733
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Missing libX11.so.6

    What is the program you installed?

    FYI: There are massive differences in 11.4 to 13.1
    Especially where X11 is concerned
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  5. #5

    Default Re: Missing libX11.so.6

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    What is the program you installed?

    FYI: There are massive differences in 11.4 to 13.1
    Especially where X11 is concerned
    It's not a commercial or normally available package. I think it was compiled around 2008.

    I now have a much bigger problem : Yast crashes every time I use it. it starts, lets you select the packages,
    and crashes soon after pressing ACCEPT. rebooting does not help.
    The only thing I can think of is that I aborted/cancelled some installations of X11 packages before.
    Still.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Missing libX11.so.6

    Quote Originally Posted by oznelig View Post
    It's not a commercial or normally available package. I think it was compiled around 2008.
    Then it's probably a 32bit application?

    /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6 _is_ definitely available, you wouldn't be able to boot your system without it.
    But maybe you're just missing the 32bit variant? (this would be the package "libX11-6-32bit" included in the distribution)

    And please don't install the one you mentioned in the first post! This will completely wreck your 64bit system!
    Last edited by wolfi323; 18-Apr-2014 at 03:49.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Missing libX11.so.6

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Then it's probably a 32bit application?

    /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6 _is_ definitely available, you wouldn't be able to boot your system without it.
    But maybe you're just missing the 32bit variant? (this would be the package "libX11-6-32bit" included in the distribution)

    And please don't install the one you mentioned in the first post! This will completely wreck your 64bit system!
    I have decided to do a complete re-install. We'll see from there.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •