Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Effects of a XP Repair ??

  1. #1

    Question Effects of a XP Repair ??

    Hello

    It appears I'll need to do a repair of my games partition, i.e. XP, using the XP installation disc. Before doing it, I like to know if doing that, if the 'Grub' will be deleted ?

    I want to avoid having to do a re-install of Suse due to loosing the boot menu in Grub.

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Effects of a XP Repair ??

    On 2014-04-18 04:56, mhunt0 wrote:
    >
    > Hello
    >
    > It appears I'll need to do a repair of my games partition, i.e. XP,
    > using the XP installation disc. Before doing it, I like to know if
    > doing that, if the 'Grub' will be deleted ?


    Probably.
    It can even destroy the entire disk.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  3. #3

    Default Re: Effects of a XP Repair ??

    .... no wonder I hate Windows...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,857
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Effects of a XP Repair ??

    Quote Originally Posted by mhunt0 View Post
    Hello

    It appears I'll need to do a repair of my games partition, i.e. XP, using the XP installation disc. Before doing it, I like to know if doing that, if the 'Grub' will be deleted ?

    I want to avoid having to do a re-install of Suse due to loosing the boot menu in Grub.

    Thank you
    You do know XP is dead... why bother...
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,029

    Default Re: Effects of a XP Repair ??

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    You do know XP is dead... why bother...
    Well, I would guess that to some people, this would be important (though not to me):

    Quote Originally Posted by mhunt0 View Post
    ... my games partition ...
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Effects of a XP Repair ??

    On 2014-04-18 07:56, Fraser Bell wrote:
    >
    > caf4926;2637656 Wrote:
    >> You do know XP is dead... why bother...

    >
    > Well, I would guess that to some people, this would be important
    > (-though not to me-):
    >
    > mhunt0;2637645 Wrote:
    >>
    >> ... my games partition ...


    There is no reason not to keep using XP, if you have software you
    need/like (example, a game), as long as you disable internet, and
    perhaps also local networking. And do not install anything more, and be
    extra careful with "data" media you bring in.

    There are people using Linux versions as old as that.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Effects of a XP Repair ??

    On 2014-04-18 05:26, mhunt0 wrote:
    >
    > .... no wonder I hate Windows...


    To clarify.

    The install DVD from Windows 7, the real one made by Microsoft, allows
    you to install on any partition and not touch the rest. An OEM disk may
    do anything, at the choosing of its manufacturer, not necessarily your
    choices. The recovery media of my laptop destroys every partition,
    leaving the computer in the status it was when I bought it.

    And that is W 7, which is more modern, and aware that you may wish to
    install other systems - although they expect those other systems to be
    other Windows. With Windows XP, I simply do not remember, but I do
    remember many disaster histories of people lamenting they had lost their
    Linux after installing Windows. Often it was just Lilo/grub, but not always.

    So, you do need to make a good full backup of your Linux,. in a manner
    that you can be sure to recover anything. To prepare for the worst, even
    if it doesn't come to that.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  8. #8

    Default Re: Effects of a XP Repair ??

    It's a games partition, I play multiplayer games like DCU Online there, the only thing I remember doing before this was installing Chrome as sometimes I open the browser to search for game info, I can only think it was Chrome that messed up the XP.

    As far as I read online there's no driver for my GPU (Radeon 4670) that works for W7 and since it's just a game partition I don't mind keeping XP where the driver works perfectly.

    I suppose I'll do a full re-install. I think that If I do a full install of XP, the Suse partitions won't be touched but Grub will be lost. I searched here for 'restoring grub' some links are broken and other suggest I do a 'repair' from the Suse disc.

    I wish it just have a 'restore Grub' since it seems something that happens to several people.


    If it doesn't work, guess I'll repeat the Suse installation after XP.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,857
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Effects of a XP Repair ??

    Quote Originally Posted by mhunt0 View Post
    It's a games partition, I play multiplayer games like DCU Online there, the only thing I remember doing before this was installing Chrome as sometimes I open the browser to search for game info, I can only think it was Chrome that messed up the XP.

    As far as I read online there's no driver for my GPU (Radeon 4670) that works for W7 and since it's just a game partition I don't mind keeping XP where the driver works perfectly.

    I suppose I'll do a full re-install. I think that If I do a full install of XP, the Suse partitions won't be touched but Grub will be lost. I searched here for 'restoring grub' some links are broken and other suggest I do a 'repair' from the Suse disc.

    I wish it just have a 'restore Grub' since it seems something that happens to several people.


    If it doesn't work, guess I'll repeat the Suse installation after XP.
    But your existing XP is updated? Hopefully it's legal too.

    A new install can no longer be updated AFAIK
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  10. #10

    Default Re: Effects of a XP Repair ??

    yes, it's a legal one, I have a Dell, it came with W2k, I later bough an XP disc from them (last year), it's a Dell installation disc, all other drivers for my pc are downloaded form the Dell website using your customer number where they have your hardware specs. Since the Dell XP disc is rather recent , it comes with SP3, I only had to update the browser and install the 'Security Essentials'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •