Thread: Ardour Jack realtime

Default Ardour Jack realtime

Hi
    I am running 13.1 on an AMD 4 core. I installed all the latest "jack" software.
    Down loaded Ardour, installed it, the only warning masg I got was something like "that system is running variable CPU frequency.
    When starting Ardour, specifying the output file and click ok the MSG comes up

[ERROR]: JACK:Cannot use real-time scheduling (RR/5)(1 Operation not permitted)
    [ERROR]: JACK:jackclient::AquireSelfRealTime error

Any idea to overcome this ?

Thanks

Default Re: Ardour Jack realtime

I wonder if this could be a memory allocation issue? See this short thread for a much earlier release, where the OP posting included your error message, and I also posted there my /etc/security/limits.conf additions which I have always needed for jack, up to and including openSUSE 13.1 (but not using Ardour). Note the solution found by the OP in post #5:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...llocate-memory
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Hello.

The variable cpu frequency warning is related to the cpu's 'on demand' status, I expect; so, this warns you that you will get x-runs (drop outs) if you don't change that status.
    It is not the reason why JACK doesn't start though.

Have you set up a limits.conf file as consused mentioned?
    Are you the user in the 'audio' group?
    Do you use PulseAudio?

Also, there are limits to response time on audio-devices so if you have set the latency too low (below 5ms on some) it may refuse to start. I don't know if you use QJackCtl, if you don't I would recommend playing around with it to test for settings which work for you.
    OpenSuSE 13.1, KDE 4.11.5, 64bit
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX8350, MSI GeForce GTX 760, RME HDSP9632, 16GB HyperX Kingston DDR3, Samsung 840-Pro SSD 128GB, WD Desktop Black 1TB, Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 750GB

Quote Originally Posted by F_Sauce View Post
    Have you set up a limits.conf file as consused mentioned?
    Are you the user in the 'audio' group?
    Do you use PulseAudio?
    Yes, the audio group is also specified as the domain of "@audio" for each limit line added to /etc/security/limits.conf, as shown in that thread link provided.

If PulseAudio is enabled, it can be disabled when jackd is started using qjackctl > Setup... > Settings tab, and entering "pasuspender -- jackd" (not the quote marks) in the "Server Prefix" input field under "Parameters".

That works for me on 13.1. However when jackd is terminated, I have to restart PulseAudio but that may be as a result of running Tumbleweed here. It wasn't always the case.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Hi

I added the user to the "audio" user-group and edited "limits.conf" as recommended !

Many thanks guys .... Ardour starts up without any error msg ... great !

Just wonder what else I am going to run into

Cheers
    otto_oz

Quote Originally Posted by otto_oz View Post
    Just wonder what else I am going to run into

Probably into quite a variety of topics, but you should be fine.
    http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration
    http://linuxmusicians.com/index.php

What do you plan to do with Ardour: recording, composing ...?
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX8350, MSI GeForce GTX 760, RME HDSP9632, 16GB HyperX Kingston DDR3, Samsung 840-Pro SSD 128GB, WD Desktop Black 1TB, Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 750GB

What do you plan to do with Ardour: recording, composing ...?
    I wrote a song and would like to sound it a bit more professional by eg. adding a bass line via midi. Just plainly recording it, guitar and voice does not make it. I wrote some other lyrics and want to compose a melodies for it.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by otto_oz View Post
    I wrote a song and would like to sound it a bit more professional by eg. adding a bass line via midi. Just plainly recording it, guitar and voice does not make it. I wrote some other lyrics and want to compose a melodies for it.

cheers
    All right, good luck

Cheers,
    Olav