Thread: Help with open-vmware-tools in OSS 13.1 guest running under Windows

Default Help with open-vmware-tools in OSS 13.1 guest running under Windows

I am totally confused, I hope someone can shed some light on this.

I re-installed OSS 13.1 for reasons I won't go in to here. I'm tired of having to remember to re-install VMware guest tools everytime there is an update, so I wanted to try the built-in open-vmware-tools.

1. I can't find open-vmware-tools-gui anywhere
    2. Screen updates are atrocious, I close an app and its image stays on the screen

I've been trying to find docs for the open-vmware-tools. The dev site say they were last update in 2007. I've found an article about inbox vmware tools on the VMware site, but I can't find any other reference for Linux. I see that open-vmware-tools have been updated in OSS 13.1, but I can't seem to find any docs on how to configure it (except the command-line) which does nothing for the video driver.

Can anyone help?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help with open-vmware-tools in OSS 13.1 guest running under Windows

Quote Originally Posted by 70tas View Post
    I am totally confused, I hope someone can shed some light on this.

I re-installed OSS 13.1 for reasons I won't go in to here. I'm tired of having to remember to re-install VMware guest tools everytime there is an update, so I wanted to try the built-in open-vmware-tools.

1. I can't find open-vmware-tools-gui anywhere
    2. Screen updates are atrocious, I close an app and its image stays on the screen

I've been trying to find docs for the open-vmware-tools. The dev site say they were last update in 2007. I've found an article about inbox vmware tools on the VMware site, but I can't find any other reference for Linux. I see that open-vmware-tools have been updated in OSS 13.1, but I can't seem to find any docs on how to configure it (except the command-line) which does nothing for the video driver.

Can anyone help?
    I think this may answer your question. What version VMware were you running before?
    http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=2046615

In any case, I can't remember if the open source version of VMware tools ever had a gui. Maybe it did and I never paid attention, but AFAIK I've only seen these "extra" tools (there are many of them) packaged with VMware Workstation, not with Player or any distro-distributed package.

As for the video driver, it should "just work" and I have never needed any configuration. Have you run "zypper up" after your update or upgrade to be sure you have the latest version?

TSU

TSU

Thank you for your reply TSU.

Yes, I've seen that, but I am not using the VMware tools, I am using the open-vmware-tools that come with OSS 13.1 by default.

I'm trying to get some docs on how to use those; they have a command-line but it does not configure X. There is a package installed called open-vmware-tools-gui, but I can't find where it is installed or what the binary is.

I'm trying to avoid the VMware tools from VMware, because I'm tired of re-installing and recompiling those things after every kernel update.

Tas

Blog Entries

I don't see that package when I do a package search(with my configured repos).
    If you have open-vmware-tools installed, pls post the results of
    Code:
    zypper info open-vmware-tools
    TSU

On 2014-04-17 17:56, 70tas wrote:
    >
    > Thank you for your reply TSU.
    >
    > Yes, I've seen that, but I am not using the VMware tools, I am using the
    > open-vmware-tools that come with OSS 13.1 by default.
    >
    > I'm trying to get some docs on how to use those; they have a
    > command-line but it does not configure X. There is a package installed
    > called open-vmware-tools-gui, but I can't find where it is installed or
    > what the binary is.

You should have these:

open-vm-tools-gui-9.2.3-3.2.1.x86_64
    open-vm-tools-9.2.3-3.2.1.x86_64

and a few things more, perhaps:

xf86-video-vmware-13.0.1-2.1.2.x86_64
    open-vm-tools-gui-9.2.3-3.2.1.x86_64
    libvmtools0-9.2.3-3.2.1.x86_64
    libXxf86vm1-1.1.3-2.1.2.x86_64
    xf86-input-vmmouse-13.0.0-5.1.2.x86_64
    open-vm-tools-9.2.3-3.2.1.x86_64

Notice that there is no GUI at all, nor any CLI command to configure
    anything. It simply works. If you open a terminal in Linux, and type
    "vm" and tab twice, you see all the vmware lrelated programs there are.

Code:

> Eleanor4:~ # vm
    > vmcore-dmesg                   vmtoolsd                       vmware-rpctool                 vmware-user-suid-wrapper
    > vmmouse_detect                 vmware-checkvm                 vmware-toolbox-cmd             vmware-vmblock-fuse
    > vmstat                         vmware-hgfsclient              vmware-user-autostart-wrapper  vmware-xferlogs
    > Eleanor4:~ # vm
    And not all of them are related to vmware.

Simply check the output of "rcvmtoolsd status".

> I'm trying to avoid the VMware tools from VMware, because I'm tired of
    > re-installing and recompiling those things after every kernel update.

I never use them.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)