UNetbootin appears to have a hard time with openSUSE

Just last night I spent some time looking up videos and reviews of openSUSE, and I fell in love. I’m running Ubuntu right now, but I’d like to run openSUSE 13.1.

My usual program is UNetbootin. I have tried 2 flash drives, both 8 gigs. I tried putting the LiveDVD .iso on there, the netinstall, and the LiveKDE .iso, but everytime I test to see if it worked it only gives a “Default” option when I’m booting them. When I click Default (hoping for some strange reason that option will work) It just restarts.

Is there a magic trick to getting openSUSE on a flash drive? I dug around and found something about image writer, but can’t find the download for it.

Please any replies would be great. What would be the easiest way to get either the LiveDVD, Netinstall, or LiveKDE working on a flash drive?

This tool can do the magic from windows (you could use wine):
http://www.netbsd.org/~martin/rawrite32/

Forget UNetbootin etc., is too complicated.

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick#Using_commandline_tools

This method is quick and works for any of the current openSUSE CD or DVD iso images.

Thank you for the reply. I’m trying that program now. :slight_smile:

EDIT: see **eng-int’**s post for the terminal commands.

Thanks! I’ll try that method if this program doesn’t work.

So far it looks like this program you suggested me is actually writing the image to the usb. So this might work. When I tried UNetbootin it just skipped to 50% when I started it. lol

That rawrite program worked like a charm! I have the installation thing up on my laptop now. I can’t wait to try out this Linux. Thanks everyone for the replies.

On 2014-04-16 17:46, Manbuddy wrote:
> My usual program is UNetbootin. I have tried 2 flash drives, both 8

You can not use UNetbootin with openSUSE, period. It breaks openSUSE.
Use instead the methods documented on our wiki page.

> SDB:Live USB stick
> SDB:Create a Live USB stick using Windows

You can see there the instructions to use ImageWriter, and a warning not
to use instructions you find on internet for other distros. On the
discussion link you can see an specific warning against unetbootin, and
a suggestion to use ImageUSB if ImageWriter fails.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)