Why the theme change?

The theme that I had configured for the forum seems to have disappeared, and I now see the default opensuse theme (or is it called a “style”).

I don’t mind the opensuse theme itself. But I am now back in the situation that “mark forums read” does not work. That’s why I changed themes in the first place.

Can you either fix the opensuse theme so that “mark forums read” works, or else restore the alternative theme that seems to have disappeared (or both).

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 16:56:01 +0000, nrickert wrote:

> The theme that I had configured for the forum seems to have disappeared,
> and I now see the default opensuse theme (or is it called a “style”).
>
> I don’t mind the opensuse theme itself. But I am now back in the
> situation that “mark forums read” does not work. That’s why I changed
> themes in the first place.
>
> Can you either fix the opensuse theme so that “mark forums read” works,
> or else restore the alternative theme that seems to have disappeared (or
> both).

Checking…

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

I just logged in, using the default openSUSE theme, went to the header, clicked on FORUM ACTIONS and clicked MARK FORUMS READ and it did what it’s supposed to. Is that what you are saying doesn’t work?

I am normally reading the “New Posts” page. There is no “Forum Actions” on that page. There is a “Mark Forums Read” which, at some time in the past, used to work. But it is now just a dead string – clicking there does nothing.

I do recall when we last had the discussion. If I maximize the browser, then that “Mark Forums Read” worked, and probably would still work. But I like having the browser sized for best readability, and not maximized.

I’m using firefox. When I last checked with konqueror (probably last year), it had the same problem.

Until the forced theme change, I was using the alternative theme because “Mark Forums Read” on the “New Posts” page actually worked with that theme. It does not work with the opensuse theme, and has not worked for a year or more.

Yes it’s an old problem. I can reproduce it using SeaMonkey by resizing the browser window so that the top right-hand line in green (Welcome … Log Out) wraps down and kills “Mark Forums Read”. That’s also with a “Today’s Posts” page.

PS. It also knocks out the preceding “New Blog Entries” just before “Mark Forums Read”.

Actually it’s only the “Welcome, …” message and preceding spaces that appear to wrap to the next line.

I’m on my computer at work, with a narrower screen than at home.

The “New Blog Entries” seems ok as a link, as long as I position the cursor in the “New Blog” part. But the “Entries” part is dead.

I’ll recheck that at home later.

Ok. The openSUSE header/info on the forums weren’t designed to be that narrow. I’ve re-enabled the default vB theme so you can use it again if you wish. :shame:

Tried that again, where I had to move cursor to just in front of “New” then all of “New Blog Entries” becomes live. I’m not so concerned about that particular link.

I also found that narrowing the window width reaches a point where the links move to a third line. With that, all the links are active again, but for me that is far too narrow. I mainly use it at full-screen anyway.

Thanks. The links are now working (with the vB theme).

Try the “Basic Green” style now.

That seems to work pretty well. Thanks.

This setting is not being remembered.

I set style to “Basic Green” and it seems fine. But the next time that I login, the style setting box is blank and I have to reselect “Basic Green”.

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 14:56:02 +0000, nrickert wrote:

> kgroneman;2637328 Wrote:
>> Try the “Basic Green” style now.
>
> This setting is not being remembered.
>
> I set style to “Basic Green” and it seems fine. But the next time that
> I login, the style setting box is blank and I have to reselect “Basic
> Green”.

If you go to “Settings” (top of the page), and then click “General
Settings” (under “Account” on the left-hand side of the page), you can
specify a default template for your account.

That should resolve this.

Jim

Jim Henderson

Thanks. That seems to work.

I had not looked there, because previously changing at the bottom of the screen in a regular forum page was remembered for future logins.

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 00:36:01 +0000, nrickert wrote:

> hendersj;2637560 Wrote:
>> If you go to “Settings” (top of the page), and then click “General
>> Settings” (under “Account” on the left-hand side of the page), you can
>> specify a default template for your account.
>
> Thanks. That seems to work.
>
> I had not looked there, because previously changing at the bottom of the
> screen in a regular forum page was remembered for future logins.

It’s probably stored in a cookie, but if the cookie expires, obviously
the preference would be lost. IIRC, the cookies for the site expire
after something like 8 or 10 hours of inactivity, so in theory, it could
stick around for a while.

But I’m glad the proposed solution worked. :slight_smile:

Jim

Jim Henderson