Dependency conflicts when updating Chromium

I’m using chromium on opensuse 12.3.

But every time I go to update my installation, yast keeps trying to de-install the packman version of chromium-ffmpeg and install the chromium-ffmpegsumo package.

Usually, I just prevent chromium from updating…wait a few days…try again…see that the versions match so the update can proceed without problems.

But I’m getting annoyed with this, because it becomes a guessing game: Will this be the day the update can proceed without problems?

What do I have to do to get rid of this problem? Because I’m fed up enough to simply choose the “break [package] by ignoring some of its dependencies” option. Packman doesn’t seem to provide its own version of chromium so there’s this constant conflict between the opensuse update repo and the packman repo.

Thanks in advance.

You can try locking the existing package, ie

zypper addlock *packagename *

More info including command options in the MAN pages

man zypper

followed by (in the man pages)

/addlock

HTH,
TSU

Thanks for the reply, tsu2

But locking the chromium package prevents it from updating in the first place, doesn’t it? Since it’s a browser, I’d like to be up to date as much as possible. If it had been any other software package, I’d have done exactly as you stated. I did use the forbid option on ffmpegsumo, but that doesn’t prevent conflicts between chromium and chromium-ffmpeg from arising. I’m guessing there’s nothing I can do to get around that conflict, because it’s not under my control?

Different question. What would be the result of using the “break … by ignoring some of its dependencies” option? I doubt its a recommended option on this forum (or is it?). Should I back up the corresponding chromium folder?

Thanks in advance.

Remove the old chromium-ffmpeg package it will be replaced by the new chromium-ffmpegsumo