Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't install Opensuse 13.1 on Dell Inspiron 15R (7520) BTX Base

Default Can't install Opensuse 13.1 on Dell Inspiron 15R (7520) BTX Base

I bought this laptop nearly 1 year ago. It came with win8. Updated it to win 8.1.
    I finally got around to install Opensuse. First, from win8, I shrunk a partition to create space for Linux,
    as I had done in the past on win7 machines.
    I downloaded the iso image for the 32 bit version and burned the DVD.
    I put it in the laptop turned on, nothing, just booted win8. I found the boot options by
    pressing F12. There are no options to select the booting device, only stuff to disable
    UEFI. After trying a few things, I found this guide :
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...Linux-UEFI-etc

I did not back up win8 stuff but I did follow Part4, section4 (unselect "turn on fast.." etc.)
    I then selected legacy mode (disable UEFI and secure booting). Laptop tried to boot from LAN. Pressing ESC
    makes it stop and boot from DVD. Great! Suse install comes up. Follow through etc. Select packages etc. All looks ok.
    I then get to the part 5, section 9 of the guide above : if I select the Booting Options there is ABSOLUTELY NO
    MENTION of UEFI, it looks nothing like in the guide. I can only select GRUB, GRUB2 or LILO, no sign of UEFI awareness.

If I continue, the install proceeds, the machine reboots, but, if I select "boot from HD", i get an error message that
    there is nothing to boot from, if a I press a key, it re-loads the DVD iso. If I take off the DVD, I get the same message
    and nothing to boot. If I re-activate UEFI secure booting, then win8 reboots, but Suse is nowhere to be seen.

No idea what to do next.

Default Re: Can't install Opensuse 13.1 on Dell Inspiron 15R (7520) BTX Base

I only have time for a quick comment as of now, but I'll look into it again tonight (which would be in 6-7 hours from now).

Provided you made no type above, you started with the 32 bit version of 13.1 which doesn't support EFI nor secure boot. Windows 8 (and 8.1) both requires EFI activated and 64 bit, in addition they both come preinstalled with secure boot activated (but you are free to disable it). I do, however recommend you keep the secure boot active. It does serve a purpose. Later on, if you find a reason NOT to have it active, you can always disble it.

So, you need to download the 64-bit full DVD installer and use that for installation. I have never tried installing 64-bit on top of a 32-bit installation, but in my mind that should proceed pretty easy, so I think it's worth a try. See how it goes. You can follow my how-to using 13.1 in place of 12.3, but 13.1 need no particular attention to the secure-boot-tick.

If you have the bandwidth for it, I would recommend to download the 64-bit Live DVD as well, and give that a spin before you install. Try it out, and see what happens (but do the install from the proper Install DVD!). If you do, you have a pretty good idea about how things will work out. The only thing you will not be able to test here, is the EFI-install part. If that proves to be a problem, post back here and we'll try to help you out.

Good luck!

Until later

dayfinger

Thanks, I confirm it is a 32 bit install of Opensuse. Can the 64 bit version run stuff previously compiled for 32 bit ?
    I vaguely remember that I had some problems in the past with 64 bit version but that was ages ago.
    I'll download the 64 bit version.

Depending on what stuff (all openSUSE packages are 64 bit ) You may need to install 32bit versions of certain libraries. Running 32 bit on 64 bit OS is generally not an issue.

Hi,

I downloaded the 64 bit iso image and it worked. The DVD still would not boot but, pressing F12 would get to the boot
    options and, this time there was the DVD. Everything went well with a couple of problems :
    1) During the first reboot the machine asked some question on peripherals to activate and got to "Starting Yast2" and then
    did nothing for quite a while. I turned t off. When on again, it said the installation had failed but I could continue and it
    could ask me again some questions. It basically repeated the same questions. This time Yast2 didn't stall, and all seems well,
    but not sure if I should trust it.
    2) Previous 32 bit test installation had 2 GB swap and the rest available to Linux. I wanted to change this but I could not. If I select
    the swap partition, I can only shrink it. Previously I used to shrink the main Linux one of the same amount I wanted to grow
    the swap partition, delete the swap partition, re-create it larger. I could not find a way to create a partition. All I get is
    Edit, Resize, Delete and another option I forgot. Nothing like "ADD or CREATE". Swap was in /dev/sda8 . I haven't used this
    for a while, but I'm sure it was easier before.
    3) This is minor, but, since I'm here, I might as well ask. Opensuse install assigns the name to the machine. Is there a way
    to chose your own name ? I could not see it.

Since I haven't started using Linux yet, I'm happy to do it all again, especially to fix 2).

Thanks.

When changing a partition size you must have space to expand into ie if another partition is right next to the partition in question you have to move that partition to allow for expansion. Partitions must be continuous

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    When changing a partition size you must have space to expand into ie if another partition is right next to the partition in question you have to move that partition to allow for expansion. Partitions must be continuous
    I also try to shrink the Linux partition first. The Linux partition was on /dev/sda9 ~388 GB. I resized it to 384 GB, but when I got to resize the swap partition, the max was still 2 G. Swap partition was /dev/sda8. They appeared contiguous in the list. They were created from the same area I got when shrinking the win8 partition from win8 itself.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    I think I understand now. I need to resize the Linux partition (make it smaller), move it, then expand the swap one.
    I'll try that.

oznelig wrote:

>
    > Thanks, I confirm it is a 32 bit install of Opensuse. Can the 64 bit
    > version run stuff previously compiled for 32 bit ?
    > I vaguely remember that I had some problems in the past with 64 bit
    > version but that was ages ago.
    > I'll download the 64 bit version.

Given the steps you have already tried, I would suggest that you essentially
    start over. My personal experience is that the install of 64-bit over 12-
    bit doesn't really get you a clean install - there seem to be odd bits and
    pieces that eventuaLLY BITE YOU.

As for you problem expanding swap, you are running into a physical mapping
    problem - when you recreated the Linux system partition with the initial
    swap partition in place, there was no contiguous space left for the enlarged
    swap. Delete BOTH swap and system partitions. Don't touch the Win and
    original partitions like efi or EFI and probably a couple of win-related
    recovery partitions - just remove the Linux swap and system partitions.

If you have secure boot enabled in the BIOS, the DVD should show up in the
    boot menu.

--
    Will Honea

note also if you intend to use secure boot you should tick the secure boot box even if secure boot is not active when you install.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast