Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Multi-boot with Windows 8.1 and OpenSuSE 13.1

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11

    Default Multi-boot with Windows 8.1 and OpenSuSE 13.1

    Hi,

    I installed Windows 8.1 Pro on my PC first, it works fine, and I am able to use a recovery usb drive to restore the system (partition C with saved system image.
    Later I installed OpenSuSE 13.1 on another disk drive and using the default grub2 bootloader. It works normally too, I can boot both Windows 8.1 and OpenSuSE 13.1.
    But the Windows 8.1 recovery procedure is no longer working. I can still using the recovery usb drive to boot the system into a recovery mode and select the system
    image, but the procedure failed to continue with the message:

    The system image was built on the system in BIOS mode, but the system to be recovered is in EFI mode.

    The system image of Windows 8.1 was re-built after I installed OpenSuSE 13.1. It seems that Windows 8.1 under a multi-boot environment is treated
    as in BIOS mode when the system image was built.

    Any idea how to solve this problem? It is desirable to be able to use the system image doe Windows 8.1 system recovery under Multi-boot environment.

    Thanks for helps and suggestions.

    Regards

    Jyh-Shyong Ho

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,676
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Multi-boot with Windows 8.1 and OpenSuSE 13.1

    This is not particularly clear.

    This is what I am getting from your post, but I am not sure that it is correct.

    1. Windows 8.1 was installed in EFI mode;
    2. opensuse was installed in legacy MBR (or BIOS) mode
    3. the above mix makes Windows unbootable, and you are unable to recover.


    Please correct what I have wrong.

    If my summary is correct, then step 2 was a mistake. You should have installed opensuse in EFI mode for consistency.

    If you made BIOS changes to switch to legacy mode, then see if you can switch it back, and see if Windows then boots. If that works, then we can try to help you switch opensuse to EFI mode.

    It might be useful to us if you provide the output from:
    Code:
    # fdisk -l
    # efibootmgr -v
    The second of those commands will possibly give an error.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Multi-boot with Windows 8.1 and OpenSuSE 13.1

    Thank you for your reply, yes, you are right, my OpenSuSE 13.1 was installed in MBR mode.

    I re-installed OpenSuSE and try to use Grub2-efi type of bootloader, but the installer shows a warning message (unsupported ....) and failed to write the configuration to bootloader, without the bootloader, I am not able to boot the system after the installation is completed. The only available bootloader type I can choose is MBR.

    I wonder if this is something related to my hardware? My Windows 8.1 is installed in the raid of the first two hard drives (/dev/md126), OpenSuSE 13.1 is installed in the
    third hard drive (/dev/sdd), the grub bootloader is written to the MBR of the first device (/dev/md126p1), this is the default selection by OpenSuSE installer and is the only successful configuration.

    Now how do I go back to the pure Windows 8.1 environment?

    Jyh-Shyong Ho

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    This is not particularly clear.

    This is what I am getting from your post, but I am not sure that it is correct.

    1. Windows 8.1 was installed in EFI mode;
    2. opensuse was installed in legacy MBR (or BIOS) mode
    3. the above mix makes Windows unbootable, and you are unable to recover.


    Please correct what I have wrong.

    If my summary is correct, then step 2 was a mistake. You should have installed opensuse in EFI mode for consistency.

    If you made BIOS changes to switch to legacy mode, then see if you can switch it back, and see if Windows then boots. If that works, then we can try to help you switch opensuse to EFI mode.

    It might be useful to us if you provide the output from:
    Code:
    # fdisk -l
    # efibootmgr -v
    The second of those commands will possibly give an error.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,676
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Multi-boot with Windows 8.1 and OpenSuSE 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by jsho View Post
    I re-installed OpenSuSE and try to use Grub2-efi type of bootloader, but the installer shows a warning message (unsupported ....) and failed to write the configuration to bootloader, without the bootloader, I am not able to boot the system after the installation is completed. The only available bootloader type I can choose is MBR.
    You need to boot the install media in EFI mode.

    Set your BIOS to only do UEFI boots, and try to boot the DVD (or whatever media you are using).

    If that fails, then try disabling secure-boot in your BIOS, and try again.

    If it still fails -- then there is some limitation in your UEFI firmware.

    On the RAID question -- I do not have any experience with RAID. I've seen threads here with people having RAID problems, but I have not read through them with enough care to know what the solutions are.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Multi-boot with Windows 8.1 and OpenSuSE 13.1

    Thanks for your reply.

    I just realized that I need to set BIOS to UEFI only before I install OpenSuSE, so I did just that, this time the boot loader type was set to Grub2-efi automatically during the installation process. However, after the installation was complete and the computer rebooted, only OpenSusE entry is listed in the Grub table, no entry for Windows 8.1, is this normal?

    Here is the output of command fdisk -l:

    Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk label type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0xdce83071

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 2048 718847 358400 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2 718848 1023999999 511640576 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3 1024000000 3711741951 1343870976 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda5 ? 1211962634 1854450312 321243839+ 7d Unknown
    Partition 5 does not start on physical sector boundary.

    Disk /dev/sdb: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes

    Disk /dev/sdc: 1500.3 GB, 1500301910016 bytes, 2930277168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk label type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdc1 1 4294967295 2147483647+ ee GPT

    Disk /dev/sdd: 3000.6 GB, 3000592982016 bytes, 5860533168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk label type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdd1 1 4294967295 2147483647+ ee GPT
    Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.

    Disk /dev/md126: 1900.4 GB, 1900411879424 bytes, 3711741952 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 131072 bytes / 262144 bytes
    Disk label type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0xdce83071

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/md126p1 * 2048 718847 358400 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/md126p2 718848 1023999999 511640576 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/md126p3 1024000000 3711741951 1343870976 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/md126p5 1024002048 3711741951 1343869952 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT


    and here is the output of command efibootmgr -v:

    BootCurrent: 0000
    Timeout: 1 seconds
    BootOrder: 0000,0001
    Boot0000* opensuse HD(1,40800,50800,8823c4c0-fd2d-4c4d-8caf-5a5657d887ae)File(\EFI\opensuse\grubx64.efi)
    Boot0001* UEFI: ATAPI CD/DVD E�h ACPI(a0341d0,0)PCI(1c,7)PCI(0,0)ATAPI(0,1,0)CD-ROM(1,3af,220983)AMBO

    Windows 8.1 is installed on /dev/md126 which is a raid of /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, OpenSuSE is installed in /dev/sdd:

    linux-443s:/home/jyhshyong # df
    Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sdd3 206291640 3955984 201270708 2% /
    devtmpfs 33011660 32 33011628 1% /dev
    tmpfs 33024588 92 33024496 1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 33024588 7968 33016620 1% /run
    tmpfs 33024588 0 33024588 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    tmpfs 33024588 7968 33016620 1% /var/lock
    tmpfs 33024588 7968 33016620 1% /var/run
    /dev/sdd1 164676 128 164548 1% /boot/efi
    /dev/sdd4 2673809480 433997480 2103967240 18% /home
    /dev/sr0 4461318 4461318 0 100% /run/media/jyhshyong/openSUSE-13.1-DVD-x86_640084

    The next problem is how to include the Windows 8.1 entry in the Grub menu so it can be boot?

    Jyh-Shyong Ho




    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    You need to boot the install media in EFI mode.

    Set your BIOS to only do UEFI boots, and try to boot the DVD (or whatever media you are using).

    If that fails, then try disabling secure-boot in your BIOS, and try again.

    If it still fails -- then there is some limitation in your UEFI firmware.

    On the RAID question -- I do not have any experience with RAID. I've seen threads here with people having RAID problems, but I have not read through them with enough care to know what the solutions are.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,676
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Multi-boot with Windows 8.1 and OpenSuSE 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by jsho View Post
    I just realized that I need to set BIOS to UEFI only before I install OpenSuSE, so I did just that, this time the boot loader type was set to Grub2-efi automatically during the installation process. However, after the installation was complete and the computer rebooted, only OpenSusE entry is listed in the Grub table, no entry for Windows 8.1, is this normal?
    No, that's not normal. But perhaps "os-prober" is confused by RAID.

    Check your EFI partition, which will be mounted as "/boot/efi" now that you have opensuse booting UEFI.

    There should be a directory "/boot/efi/EFI/Boot", and it should contain a file "bootx64.efi". And that file should be identical to the file "bootmgfw.efi" in the "EFI/Microsoft/Boot" partition.

    If that is all in place, then see if your BIOS has a UEFI boot option to boot the device (the disk containing the EFI partition). Hopefully, that would boot you into Windows. Maybe also try with secure-boot disabled. If you can get into Windows, then you can fix booting from within.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Multi-boot with Windows 8.1 and OpenSuSE 13.1

    Under directory /boot/efy/EFI, there is only one sub-directory opensuse, no BOOT, and there is a file grubx64.efi in directory /boot/efi/EFI/opensuse
    There is no Microsoft/BOOT directory.

    OpeuSuSE installation process does not pick up the installed WIndows 8.1 information when it chose Grub-efi as the bootlocader type.

    I need to go back to the BIOS settings and try a different parameters and re-install OpenSuSE and see what happens.


    Jyh-Shyong Ho


    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    No, that's not normal. But perhaps "os-prober" is confused by RAID.

    Check your EFI partition, which will be mounted as "/boot/efi" now that you have opensuse booting UEFI.

    There should be a directory "/boot/efi/EFI/Boot", and it should contain a file "bootx64.efi". And that file should be identical to the file "bootmgfw.efi" in the "EFI/Microsoft/Boot" partition.

    If that is all in place, then see if your BIOS has a UEFI boot option to boot the device (the disk containing the EFI partition). Hopefully, that would boot you into Windows. Maybe also try with secure-boot disabled. If you can get into Windows, then you can fix booting from within.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    29,798

    Default Re: Multi-boot with Windows 8.1 and OpenSuSE 13.1

    Please jsho,

    Welcome here, but can you pleass copy/paste your computer text between CODE tags when you post it? It is the # button in the tool bar of the post editor. Not easy to find, but now you know
    Henk van Velden

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    16,288

    Default Re: Multi-boot with Windows 8.1 and OpenSuSE 13.1

    Your partitioning is really confusing sdd seems only to contain the GPT partition/ Where did you put the rest of Linux?? LOL

    Also sda seems to be a MBR formatted drive since it has an extended partition and then it has an unknown partition??? Maybe a broken partition of the RAID array??

    It looks like Windows was installed as a MBR system. And no sign of a GPT partition for Windows.

    sdb seems to be unpartitioned.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Multi-boot with Windows 8.1 and OpenSuSE 13.1

    Thanks for your reply, that is the problem. The raid md126 is a hardware raid 0 of /def/sda an /dev/sdb, I'lll try to figure out how to fix it.

    Jyh-Shyong Ho


    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Your partitioning is really confusing sdd seems only to contain the GPT partition/ Where did you put the rest of Linux?? LOL

    Also sda seems to be a MBR formatted drive since it has an extended partition and then it has an unknown partition??? Maybe a broken partition of the RAID array??

    It looks like Windows was installed as a MBR system. And no sign of a GPT partition for Windows.

    sdb seems to be unpartitioned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •