Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boot from DVD

Default Boot from DVD

Hi all,

New here and I am excited to try OpenSUSE as I heard many good things. Anyway, I am running Windows 8 which cannot boot into anything right now, there is a missing file and I can't get past there no matter what I do. So, I put OpenSUSE on an ISO and burn it to the disk from my PC and selected to boot from DVD. So it boots to DVD and brings me to a basic command prompt. Any ideas on how to get OpenSUSE installed on Windows 8? I have Toshiba Satellite laptop.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Boot from DVD

Hello and welcome here.

I am not sure I understand what you experience.

You boot from the DVD (did you check the downloaded ISO's checksum?) and then you do not get to the menu where you can choose different things (amongst it Installation)? In that case you could have a graphics card problem. Please report back more detailed, also about your hardware, specialy the graphics card. People can most probably help you with that.

BTW, one does not install openSUSE "on Windows 8". You either remove Windows 8 completely, or you install openSUSE alongside Windows 8 in a multi-boot configuration.
    Henk van Velden

Thanks for the prompt response. The gfx card works fine, I was able to load into Windows, I screwed some file up trying to reload Windows and since the file is missing I can't go into recovery. I can't wipe my drive either. When I stick the Windows disk it acts like its loading Windows and doesn't act as a boot disk.

I have more model information at home. If what I said doesn't help, I will post model #.

I've installed Windows and Linux before, the problem is I can't get back into Windows anymore due to the file that I screwed up.

I haven't checked the sum on the ISO I downloaded.

I'm very confused.

Can you boot to openSUSE? Can you boot to Windows? What version of Windows. Is this a BIOS or EFI machine?

What file did you mess with??

Sorry for being confusing. No -- I interrupted an install (stupidly) so Windows tries to recover but it can't since its missing the file. I was running Windows 8.1 and no I can't boot into SUSE. The boot disk I made boots to a simple command line.

Yes I am using EFI but I make changes in BIOs.

I am still not getting you. All the talking about Windows I do not understand (my Windows knowledge is next to nothing.). But does it have anything to do with the problem you have with the openSUSE installation DVD? Not at all IMHO. So let us concentrate on your trial to boot from that installation DVD.

And please anwer the implicit question: did you check sumcheck the downloaded ISO?

The fact that your graphics card worked with Windos is again of almost no importance. We have to see if and how we get it working with openSUSE.

And we need a good description on what you see when you boot from that DVD. More precise then you did until now. We are not able to look over your shoulder, thus we depend on your description and the quality of it.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by mrw5641 View Post
    Sorry for being confusing. No -- I interrupted an install (stupidly) so Windows tries to recover but it can't since its missing the file. I was running Windows 8.1 and no I can't boot into SUSE. The boot disk I made boots to a simple command line.

Yes I am using EFI but I make changes in BIOs.

it could be a bit problematic to dual boot windows 8 and Linux because of the secure boot.

here is nice link to read http://forums.opensuse.org/showthrea...Linux-UEFI-etc

Henk

I will get you more information when I go home and try to do this.

No I haven't run the checksum.

I don't want Windows at all. I want to reformat the hard drive and just use SUSE.

I just found this

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by mrw5641 View Post
    I just found this

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

What do you think?
    No, you need to do as the SDB explains.

http://en.opensuse.org/Live_USB_stick

And I quote:
    Warning Do not try to apply procedures found in internet for other distributions to convert the images into bootable sticks (unetbootin). Doing that will break the images. The openSUSE images are already prepared for being used directly on usb sticks, no further steps are needed.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast