HP EliteBook 840 - wirelless driver

I have new HP EliteBook 840 with fresh installation of OpenSUSE 13.1. Unfortunately I can’t see wirelles card configuration in KDE and in ifconfig command.
Also output from hwinfo --wlan is not showing anything. When I push wirelless button then in KDE appears bluetooth icon (I can see that this wirelless cards has also bluettoth included - http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/elite-products/assets/elitebook840.pdf).
On HP drivers page I can see driver for SLED but can I install it in OpenSUSE?

Please post which wireless card you actually have:

/sbin/lspci -nnk

And for KDE’s networkmanagement applet to work, you need to switch to “User-controlled using NetworkManager” in YaST->Network Devices->Network Settings->Global Options. (for wireless that’s the better option IMHO, and it is actually set automatically by the installer if a wireless card is detected)

Hi
You need to check with the rfkill command it may be soft blocked;

zypper in rfkill
rfkill list

eg;

rfkill list

0: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: no
    Hard blocked: no
1: hp-bluetooth: Bluetooth
2: phy0: Wireless LAN
3: hci0: Bluetooth

~> /sbin/lspci -nnk
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller [8086:0a04] (rev 09)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:198f]
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0a16] (rev 09)
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915
00:03.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:0a0c] (rev 09)
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP USB xHCI HC [8086:9c31] (rev 04)
        Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
        Kernel modules: xhci_hcd
00:16.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP HECI #0 [8086:9c3a] (rev 04)
        Kernel driver in use: mei_me
        Kernel modules: mei_me
00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I218-LM [8086:155a] (rev 04)
        Kernel driver in use: e1000e
        Kernel modules: e1000e
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP HD Audio Controller [8086:9c20] (rev 04)
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP PCI Express Root Port 1 [8086:9c10] (rev e4)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
        Kernel modules: shpchp
00:1c.3 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP PCI Express Root Port 4 [8086:9c16] (rev e4)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP PCI Express Root Port 6 [8086:9c1a] (rev e4)
00:1d.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP USB EHCI #1 [8086:9c26] (rev 04)
        Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP LPC Controller [8086:9c43] (rev 04)
        Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich
        Kernel modules: lpc_ich
00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] [8086:9c03] (rev 04)
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP SMBus Controller [8086:9c22] (rev 04)
        Kernel modules: i2c_i801
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4359]
        Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation Device [14e4:05e2]
        Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge
        Kernel modules: bcma
03:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device [10ec:5227] (rev 01)
        Kernel driver in use: rtsx_pci
        Kernel modules: rtsx_pci

# rfkill list
        Hard blocked: yes
        Hard blocked: yes

and after WiFi button

# rfkill list
2: hci0: Bluetooth

And for KDE’s networkmanagement applet to work, you need to switch to “User-controlled using NetworkManager” in YaST->Network Devices->Network Settings->Global Options. (for wireless that’s the better option IMHO, and it is actually set automatically by the installer if a wireless card is detected)

I mean that applet is enabled but I can see there only ethernet connection.

For this card, you need the proprietary broadcom-wl driver.

So you have a working wired internet connection as well?
This would make it easier to install the necessary wireless driver.

If yes, enter YaST->Software Repositories, click on “Add” and choose “Community Repositories”. Then add the “Packman Repository” there (you likely will need this anyway because it contains a lot of multimedia stuff including all the necessary codecs :wink: ).
Then enter YaST->Software Management, type “broadcom” into the search field, and install the packages “broadcom-wl” and “broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop”. (first check with “uname -a” which kernel you are using though, if it’s “kernel-default” you would need “broadcom-wl-kmp-default” instead)

After a reboot your wireless should work then.

I did it the same time when you wrote your post looking at package for SLED - broadcom-wireless-kmp-default-5.100.82.115_3.0.76_0.7-6.71.x86_64.rpm but I did mistake and install it for default kernel. Now when I did it for kernel desktop everything is working fine!

Thak you very much for help!!! :slight_smile:

Not sure if I understand you correctly there. Are you saying you installed the package for SLED on openSUSE?
You shouldn’t do that. I would recommend you to install the packages (“broadcom-wl” and “broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop”) for openSUSE 13.1 instead, they are a newer version of the driver as well. Or did you do that anyway?
I have to say I actually would be surprised if that SLED package would even work.

When you add the Packman repo the way I described it, you will automatically get the correct repo for your openSUSE version, and will also automatically get updates when they are available.

PS: Because you installed broadcom-wireless-kmp-default, you probably now also have kernel-default installed. You should uninstall that again, to save disk space and prevent booting the wrong kernel.