Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Best reasons to use OpenSuse?

  1. #1

    Default Best reasons to use OpenSuse?

    Well I am making my yearly round through the various major Linux distros and coming across OpenSuse for the first time in a few years. Last time I tried it was a few years ago and it wouldn't even get close to installing.

    That being said I'm looking forward to giving it another shot. My question to the community is this:

    What do you find in OpenSuse that has you loving it? What features etc... can I expect to be improved over other distros, etc...?

    Looking forward to see what everyone says. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,857
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Best reasons to use OpenSuse?

    For me.
    It just works

    This might help you post install
    https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.ph...allation-Guide
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,664
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Best reasons to use OpenSuse?

    Mostly:

    • A good team of people working on the project;
    • good support, including the support via this forum;
    • KDE seems to be well integrated into the system, with other desktop available (I usually install KDE, Gnome, XFCE, LXDE);
    • Yast;
    • It has one of the best installers, at least among the distros that I have tried.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  4. #4

    Default Re: Best reasons to use OpenSuse?

    So I'm typing this from my new OpenSuse install. And the main thing I've noticed so far (aside from Yast2 awesomeness) is that when I chose for it to download and apply updates during install it actually did so. A few distros I've used in the past give the option but then they don't perform the task. So it was refreshing to see it go through. The installer was amazing though I will agree with that.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,029

    Default Re: Best reasons to use OpenSuse?

    Quote Originally Posted by jbaerbock View Post
    So I'm typing this from my new OpenSuse install. And the main thing I've noticed so far (aside from Yast2 awesomeness) is that when I chose for it to download and apply updates during install it actually did so. A few distros I've used in the past give the option but then they don't perform the task. So it was refreshing to see it go through. The installer was amazing though I will agree with that.
    So...

    I have been trying to compose an answer to your original question in my mind for hours, tonight, because there are so many things to list in the answer, from my perspective. It was going to be a real chore to write it all out, and it might have turned into a novelette.

    Glad I don't have to. You can discover the wonders of openSUSE yourself, now.

    Welcome aboard.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

  6. #6

    Default Re: Best reasons to use OpenSuse?

    Quote Originally Posted by jbaerbock View Post
    So I'm typing this from my new OpenSuse install. And the main thing I've noticed so far (aside from Yast2 awesomeness) is that when I chose for it to download and apply updates during install it actually did so. A few distros I've used in the past give the option but then they don't perform the task. So it was refreshing to see it go through. The installer was amazing though I will agree with that.
    You remind me of the audience at the Ravi Shankar concert in 1970 with George Harrison, when after tuning up, the audience clapped.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Best reasons to use OpenSuse?

    On 2014-04-09, jbaerbock <jbaerbock@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    > What do you find in OpenSuse that has you loving it? What features
    > etc... can I expect to be improved over other distros, etc...?


    1. YaST
    2. DE ambivalence.
    3. OBS.
    4. Evergreen
    5. Tumbleweed.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Best reasons to use OpenSuse?

    Quote Originally Posted by BSDuser View Post
    You remind me of the audience at the Ravi Shankar concert in 1970 with George Harrison, when after tuning up, the audience clapped.
    Lol that's pretty dang awesome!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Best reasons to use OpenSuse?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    So...

    I have been trying to compose an answer to your original question in my mind for hours, tonight, because there are so many things to list in the answer, from my perspective. It was going to be a real chore to write it all out, and it might have turned into a novelette.

    Glad I don't have to. You can discover the wonders of openSUSE yourself, now.

    Welcome aboard.

    Oh I was always planning on trying it out myself. I was just curious to see other people's thoughts. Then I could keep an eye out for those things myself.

    The main thing I love so far is how snappy they've been able to make KDE run. I've had such speed issues in KDE with Mint, Kubuntu, Sabayon, etc...

    And I have a dual core 3ghz processor w/ 8GB high speed ram and a new MB to organize it all...so it really should have made a difference in KDE performance with those distros compared to my old hardware.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Best reasons to use OpenSuse?

    Quote Originally Posted by jbaerbock View Post

    The main thing I love so far is how snappy they've been able to make KDE run. I've had such speed issues in KDE with Mint, Kubuntu, Sabayon, etc...
    To be fair, KDE can be a bit of a hog; just turn all of the effects 'up to 11' and most sensible hardware (without obscure drivers, that can be problematic and are almost certainly not part of the default install) can need a little thinking time to get things done.

    That said, and as has already been mentioned, openSUSE isn't one of the 'only one GUI supplied' distros, so you've got the chance to make your acquaintance with other GUIs, if that's the way you want to go. Or, to keep the effects in reasonable measure. Or, use obscure drivers. Or, put up with the extra time to 'admire' the effects.

    I like having the choices, even if I only end up taking one of them; I think that it should be my decision, not something that gets imposed on me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •