Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A look back on Windows XP: Success, simplicity and stupidity

Default A look back on Windows XP: Success, simplicity and stupidity

So consider this to be a bit of self indulgence as I give my own eulogy at windows XP's funeral.
    Windows XP was my first full time operating system, and as it ends its support cycle its time for me to do some fun looking back on one of the computing worlds biggest successes and how it all went so terribly wrong.

Now how can one of the biggest successes in the computing world be in itself a failure?
    Well lets take a look at what Windows XP offered.
    Firstly XP was the first OS to become popular overall to the masses , sure Microsoft had successes with 95 and 98 but XP was the first true mainstream system that brought many to the wonders of the home computer.
    This is no small feat, Microsoft's PR engine was on all four cylinders with XP by creating a system that was super user friendly with a no frills approach to computing.
    Simplicity is a nice goal to have when making an OS, there are very good reasons why XP, OSX, Ubuntu, iOS and android has caught on with most of the computing world.
    All offer simplicity for better or for worse depending on your perspective.
    Lets take the better reasons why something like XP caught on:
    Firstly the OS is extremely accessible from the total newcomer to the most pro computer user, the average Joe user like myself has benefited from the skills I have learned from XP.
    Indeed XP taught me a lot about how an OS worked and functioned, how everything connected and how it all came to work.
    I actually owe a lot to XP, it is the OS that got me really into learning about computers and how they worked.
    Without it I would not be wanting to get a diploma for computing or even built the desktop I am posting this all from.
    But even so the holes in the armor of XP and the other Microsoft operating systems can be seen from outer space.
    How Microsoft integrated the whole kernel and the components of the OS into one big ball of insecurities, where if one pin was taken out the whole ship would sink.
    Its like the Titanic of operating systems, Microsoft claimed it was unsinkable and the boat kept on taking on water.
    Security holes were abound with XP, its “easy for everyone” approach was letting hackers become kids in a candy store.
    And tying Internet explorer to the core of the OS was no help, one of the most dumb things Microsoft has ever done and XP suffered greatly for it.
    But most learned to adapt to XP's shortcomings and soon Microsoft became complacent and frankly rather arrogant.
    Overconfident they blundered into windows Vista without any consideration to users of XP nor the computing world in general.
    Vista is the main reason why XP's lifespan was extended, it was a miserable release for many so Microsoft had to create windows 7 to bring back its consumer ratio.
    And now they made the same blunder once again with 8.
    Microsoft is a company full of blundering in when new challenges arise, first with apple now with android.
    This is something that Microsoft is good at, being rich but very little brain matter when it comes to actually producing a good OS half the time.
    And XP is the source of the blame for this mentality, so cocky was Microsoft that blundering stupidity was abound.
    As the new computing age began Microsoft just seems to slip and makes you wonder how in the hell did it get so big sometimes.
    Even from a pro Microsoft standpoint the blunders can be seen without the need of a telescope five million miles long.
    Nevertheless XP was a semi decent OS once you plugged all its holes and built a bomb shelter around it.
    C'est la vie Windows XP, and bon voyage.

Blog Entries

Default Re: A look back on Windows XP: Success, simplicity and stupidity

Hi
    But you can still buy support for XP, just like you can buy long term support for SLE, lots of corporations and educational institutions will continue to use XP.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

yeah but most are opting out of it, probably for the best though.
    Plus this is more for mainstream support then servers and whatnot.

95% of the World's ATMs run on XP but a third of those were expected to
    convert to Windows 7 by April 8th, when MS stop issuing bug-fixes.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...-ocalypse.html
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...on_OS_support_

--
    Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
    openSUSE 13.2-m0 (64-bit); KDE 4.12.97; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
    Kernel: 3.14.0-rc7; Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nouveau driver);
    Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

Unfortunately, Ubuntu will never be the next "XP." I know its the fantasy on the Ubuntu Users Group on Linkedin, but it ranks somewhat lower than a 5 year old who believes in Santa in terms of reality.

I don't share your nostalgia for XP. My first full-time operating system was DOS, and because of that ancient experience my eventual transition to Linux many years later was fairly easy: I was not afraid of the command line or editing plain text configuration files. That is not true of the "average Joe user" who only knows a graphical environment (and in my experience, hasn't learned anything about computers and doesn't want to).

As for the growth of home computers, I remember them being pretty common in middle and upper class homes well before XP. IMO, it was the graphical web that spurred that revolution, not XP. (Yeah, I'm also old enough to remember when the internet had to be navigated at the command line.)

If I were going to wax nostalgic about a Windows version, it would be Windows 2000. It had everything I want in an OS: stable, secure, and didn't actively do things to annoy me. I knew from having to use XP at work that XP failed miserably on that last criterion, and that's why I kept Windows 2000 on my home computer as long as I could, and upgraded to Linux when new hardware stopped including drivers for it. Windows 2000, RIP; Windows XP, good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by dimesio View Post
    I don't share your nostalgia for XP. My first full-time operating system was DOS, and because of that ancient experience my eventual transition to Linux many years later was fairly easy: I was not afraid of the command line or editing plain text configuration files. That is not true of the "average Joe user" who only knows a graphical environment (and in my experience, hasn't learned anything about computers and doesn't want to).

As for the growth of home computers, I remember them being pretty common in middle and upper class homes well before XP. IMO, it was the graphical web that spurred that revolution, not XP. (Yeah, I'm also old enough to remember when the internet had to be navigated at the command line.)

If I were going to wax nostalgic about a Windows version, it would be Windows 2000. It had everything I want in an OS: stable, secure, and didn't actively do things to annoy me. I knew from having to use XP at work that XP failed miserably on that last criterion, and that's why I kept Windows 2000 on my home computer as long as I could, and upgraded to Linux when new hardware stopped including drivers for it. Windows 2000, RIP; Windows XP, good riddance.
    Bravo, well put!

I can not fully agree with you on some points.

[QUOTE=dimesio;2635576]I don't share your nostalgia for XP. My first full-time operating system was DOS, and because of that ancient experience my eventual transition to Linux many years later was fairly easy: I was not afraid of the command line or editing plain text configuration files. That is not true of the "average Joe user" who only knows a graphical environment (and in my experience, hasn't learned anything about computers and doesn't want to).
    [\quote] I don't understand your point heres why :
    A. for the most part the OS is irrelevant, it's what you need to do with the computer that is important, thus what's important is the tools you need and tools that available for OS of your choice. my first OS was DOS as well so what? what could you do on simple bare install of DOS system except for plain text files editing. Nothing!
    it's the tools and utilities that made you productive. saying that you are not afraid of command line and editing text files is,with all due respect, kind of lame. I am not afraid of command line and text files editing either. I hate it. I hate it with all my bones and and all.
    but I am not afraid to do it if needs arise. and what you say about "average Joe" is lame as well. we all have different needs and wants and we all have different abilities.
    you might be good with CLI and text files, but an "average Joe number 1" may be the best dentist in a greater NY area. so should he smirk talking about you saying "ohh this guy like CLI and text files. let see him doing a root-canal or even plain teeth cleaning procedure".

Computer first and foremost an appliance. and as any appliance it is expected to be user friendly to all it's users, not the selected few. not everyone wants, or even can, to be a computer genius. most people just want to use a device for what ever purpose it was designed for , in case of the PC it is a multipurpose device, without need for an MBA in science and programming, and memorizing 100+ commands to do it.

do you want to learn how to build your own house, car, microwave?
    how to melt metals to make your knifes and stuff?

[QUOTE=dimesio;2635576]
    As for the growth of home computers, I remember them being pretty common in middle and upper class homes well before XP. IMO, it was the graphical web that spurred that revolution, not XP. (Yeah, I'm also old enough to remember when the internet had to be navigated at the command line.) [\quote]
    you are right XP did not trigger the growth of home computers.
    what did IMO is proliferation of Internet access and all the interconnect stuff along with it. Email, public chat access expansion, all the information and other stuff available on the net and the ease of access to it.
    the falling prices of the computer hardware and accessories did not hurt either.

again I can agree that win2000 was very good OS, but you are forgetting that it was build on a Server Kernel.
    it was not a Desktop OS. it was a Server OS adapted to PC use. good for techies and a like, not so good for everyone else. it was not very user friendly when it came to installation and configuration. very bad hardware support for SOHO hardware, specially Video card support. !?Games?! forget about it, see my previous point about Video support.
    that is why XP came out and that is why it hold the market for so long.
    it was the best of both world 95% at a time.
    it was more stable than win95/98 yet still supported a lot of SOHO hardware since it could use drivers for win98 to run the hardware. it provided similar familiar GUI, it was more secure than win98. not as good as 2000 but still better than 98.
    and it allow most user the ease of install and configuration that were missing from 2000.
    if you had a good internet access you could practically install and setup any system with any hardware by just doing the initial setup, configuring the internet and run update. almost 99.9% of the time it would go out and find any needed drives on its own.
    I had setup a lot of PC just like that. unless you had some special card or something too old to be supported it worked.
    so why such hate for the OS that served faithfully most of the market for 13 years?
    and even now many users do not want to give it up.

we all have our preferences and are allowed our POV but still.....

Quote Originally Posted by BSDuser View Post
    Unfortunately, Ubuntu will never be the next "XP." I know its the fantasy on the Ubuntu Users Group on Linkedin, but it ranks somewhat lower than a 5 year old who believes in Santa in terms of reality.
    I kind of disagree there, Ubuntu in its own way is the XP of linux right now so the connection isnt as fantastical as it sounds.

That is not true of the "average Joe user" who only knows a graphical environment (and in my experience, hasn't learned anything about computers and doesn't want to).
    So you are saying the Joe user is stupid then, a bunch of slack jawed idiots who dont know about computers while you who knows command line is obviously superior to them.
    Well you know what I have to say to that?

Not some very nice things and you should be ashamed of yourself for such an arrogant attitude, really if I could swear on this forum you will be getting a lot of nasty foul words on my end for being a blankety blank blank!

Jump into a body of water and wash your arrogance down the drain, meh!

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    I kind of disagree there, Ubuntu in its own way is the XP of linux right now so the connection isnt as fantastical as it sounds.
    I would say that Ubuntu is more like win8 right now as many people dislike like Unity just like many people dislike Win 8 metro.

if anything Linux Mint is like XP right now but that can be debated as well :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast