Thread: HDMI not working with 3.14 and radeon - kernel panic

Default HDMI not working with 3.14 and radeon - kernel panic

Good day,

HDMI isn't working with kernel 3.14 (both 0-1 and 0-2 from the Kernel:Stable repo). I use the open-source radeon driver with Gallium 0.4 and Mesa 10.1.0 (from the X11:Xorg repo). My video card is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4550. There are no issues whatsoever with the 3.13 kernel series.

If I attach the HDMI cable, after a few seconds I get a message on the screen like the following:

Code:
    Kernel panic - not syncing: Watchdog detected hard LOCKUP on cpu 1
    Kernel Offset (...)
    Shutting down cpus with NMI
    drm_kms_helper: panic occurred, switching back to text console
    (I cannot copy the original message because I don't know where find it - it's neither in dmesg nor in /var/log)

Any help is much appreciated.

Default Re: HDMI not working with 3.14 and radeon - kernel panic

Quote Originally Posted by rafle View Post
    Good day,

HDMI isn't working with kernel 3.14 (both 0-1 and 0-2 from the Kernel:Stable repo). I use the open-source radeon driver with Gallium 0.4 and Mesa 10.1.0 (from the X11org repo). My video card is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4550. There are no issues whatsoever with the 3.13 kernel series.

If I attach the HDMI cable, after a few seconds I get a message on the screen like the following:

Code:
    Kernel panic - not syncing: Watchdog detected hard LOCKUP on cpu 1
    Kernel Offset (...)
    Shutting down cpus with NMI
    drm_kms_helper: panic occurred, switching back to text console
    (I cannot copy the original message because I don't know where find it - it's neither in dmesg nor in /var/log)

Any help is much appreciated.
    I don't use SuSE (I use Arch Linux), but I was Googling and yours was the only similar problem I found. I have an HTPC that uses a Radeon 4xxx (I forget the exact model) and I have it connect to my TV via HDMI. With 3.14.0 and 3.14.1 (and Mesa 10.1.0) it kernel panics on X startup, with 3.13.8 it's fine.

I tried 3.15-rc1 and the problem was fixed, so if that's an option you can try that. Maybe it'll be fixed in 3.14.2...

Many thanks for the heads-up! It's good to know there's an upcoming solution. I've been using 3.13 since, worst case I just completely skip 3.14.

So I've installed 3.15 from kernel:Stable. Everything works as expected if I connect the HDMI cable after the DE is loaded. But the computer completely freezes up during the loading of the DE (be it KDE, icewm or xbmc-standalone) or even the DM (I've tried with kdm and lightdm) if the cable is attached. A very significant bug.