Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partition problem

Default Partition problem

Hi, I have a machine with the follwoing specifications:

1 TB HDD
    intel core i7 1.8 GHz
    8 GB RAM

I've installed Windows 7 on it and would like to dual boot openSuse 13.1 with Windows 7. I'm totally new to opensuse, so bare with me:

I have three partitions on my HDD:

System Reserved 100 MB NTFS ( System, Active, Primary Partition)
    C: 465.66 GB NTFS (Boot,Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
    D: 465.75 GB NTFS (Primary Partition)

according to installation guide, I should shrink a windows partition in order to make room for opensuse, so I shrunk D entirely (I want opensuse to have half the HDD) and now there was 465.75 GB of unallocated space ...then I tried to install opensuse.

on the partitioning stage of the installer, no partitions were suggested, also when trying to partition it myself to three partitions: root, home and swap. but the installer did not detect the unallocated space, so I went back and returned my HDD to it's original state with three partitions, and tried to install opensuse again, there were no partitioning suggestions as well, and the installer did detect all three partitions .. but it won't allow any resize, edit or deleting moves.
    I noticed that all the partitions on the installer were labeled "linux native"

Why is this happening and how can I partition my HDD properly in order to install opensuse side by side with Windows?
    Also, can anyone suggest a proper partitioning for my HDD?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Partition problem

Quote Originally Posted by Killi View Post
    I'm totally new to opensuse, so bare with me
    I think we have all just been invited to a nude party

I have three partitions on my HDD:

It's hard to know what's going wrong. There's probably an important detail that you have missed.

Please provide the output from:
    Code:
    # fdisk -l /dev/sda
    This assumes that your disk is "/dev/sda". You will need to be root for that (or use "sudo"). Put the output in a code block. You can use the "#" symbol for the code block. After entering the data, select with the mouse then click the "#"
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Blog Entries

You would need to shrink the main Windows OS partition. But!
    First backup important files and then defrag it.

Use the Windows Partition manager to shrink the partition, no more than 50% of the free space (I always use Gparted, and never an issue, but the official method is use Windows).

Once you have free space
    I would get a live cd of Gparted and create an extended partition to fill the free space and then create your logical partitions for openSUSE:
    swap 2 x RAM
    ext4 for root no more than 30GB
    ext4 for home all the remaining free space

Then follow the advanced installation as outlined here
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/....1_install.pdf
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Code:
    I suspect you may have the figures wrong
    Unless D is a backup type storage partition
    That would make C the OS, which makes sense as it is marked as Boot too

As suggested we may need some clarification
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Also good to know if the machine is and old BIOS or EFI type

Also you said you shrank the D drive partition you probably should delete it rather then shrink it. But we do need more detail on how the disk is really partitioned and unfortunately Window lies about it

well, here's what I'm getting on windows disk manager:

I tried to use Gparted as suggested, but it froze at the first menu it displayed. I looked around and apparently it's a bug that usually pops up on Acer Aspire machines. Talk about tough luck

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    You would need to shrink the main Windows OS partition. But!
    First backup important files and then defrag it.
    Tried that as well, openSuse installer is just not able to detect that there's an unallocated space on the HDD and wont let me resize any already detected partitions.

well, here's what I'm getting on windows disk manager:

I tried to use Gparted as suggested, but it froze at the first menu it displayed. I looked around and apparently it's a bug that usually pops up on Acer Aspire machines. Talk about tough luck
    According to this, you don't have any unallocated space on your drive. The D partition is empty of data, but it is still allocated as an NTFS Primary partition.

Just use the Disk Management to unmount and unassign D, then delete the partition. Do not remake the partition. It will now show as unallocated space, and you can then go ahead with your install.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    According to this, you don't have any unallocated space on your drive. The D partition is empty of data, but it is still allocated as an NTFS Primary partition.

Just use the Disk Management to unmount and unassign D, then delete the partition. Do not remake the partition. It will now show as unallocated space, and you can then go ahead with your install.
    I know, this is the initial state of the HDD as described in my original post. I deleted D before I started the installation (it said unallocated), but the openSuse installer didn't detect the unallocated space. It only listed the two partitions (100 MB and the 465 GB) and wasn't allowing any resizing or manipulation on these partitions.

I know, this is the initial state of the HDD as described in my original post. I deleted D before I started the installation (it said unallocated), but the openSuse installer didn't detect the unallocated space. It only listed the two partitions (100 MB and the 465 GB) and wasn't allowing any resizing or manipulation on these partitions.
    Okay, then invoke Disk Manager now and show the current state that it shows. The way you posted that, you seemed to be saying that is what Disk Manager shows now.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast