Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Difficulty with nvidia and bumblebee drivers

  1. #1

    Default Difficulty with nvidia and bumblebee drivers

    Hey, I'm very new to openSUSE as well as zypper and zast, so I'd appreciate any instructions involving either to be specific.

    I'm trying to get my dedicated graphics card (nvidia 210m) for my Asus ul50vt to work properly as well as openGL for source games (Garry's mod specifically)

    I've searched for the past several days, reading many guides but to no avail. Currently whenever I try to run a program with primusrun I get
    Code:
    primusrun glxspheres
    Code:
    primus: fatal: failed to connect to Bumblebee daemon: No such file or directory
    Whenever I try to run a program with optirun I get
    Code:
    optirun glxspheres
    Code:
    [  150.280092] [ERROR]The Bumblebee daemon has not been started yet or the socket path /var/run/bumblebee.socket was incorrect.
    [  150.280149] [ERROR]Could not connect to bumblebee daemon - is it running?
    richie@ul50vt:~> primusrun glxspheres
    primus: fatal: failed to connect to Bumblebee daemon: No such file or directory
    If you plan to post a link to another fix or tutorial, more than likely I've tried it and it failed to work for me, but any help is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,704
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Difficulty with nvidia and bumblebee drivers

    I'm sure one of our hybrid graphics gurus will drop by and assist, but in the meantime review the following guide

    http://smithfarm-thebrain.blogspot.c...bumblebee.html

    I wonder if bumblebeed.service is running. Check with
    Code:
    systemctl status bumblebeed

  3. #3

    Default Re: Difficulty with nvidia and bumblebee drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I'm sure one of our hybrid graphics gurus will drop by and assist, but in the meantime review the following guide

    http://smithfarm-thebrain.blogspot.c...bumblebee.html

    I wonder if bumblebeed.service is running. Check with
    Code:
    systemctl status bumblebeed
    This is the output that the code gave me
    Code:
    systemctl status bumblebeed
    bumblebeed.service - Bumblebee C Daemon
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bumblebeed.service; enabled)
       Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2014-04-04 22:29:06 EDT; 3h 3min ago
      Process: 3611 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/bumblebeed (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
     Main PID: 3611 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
       CGroup: /system.slice/bumblebeed.service

  4. #4

    Default Re: Difficulty with nvidia and bumblebee drivers

    Looking at the guide posted, I'm unsure how to add myself to the bumblebee group. Could someone be kind enough to clarify how to do that for me?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,704
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Difficulty with nvidia and bumblebee drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by blurrred View Post
    Looking at the guide posted, I'm unsure how to add myself to the bumblebee group. Could someone be kind enough to clarify how to do that for me?
    You could use YaST. Navigate to YaST > Security and Users > User and Group Management. Edit the user concerned, select the 'Details' folder where additional groups can be selected as required. When done, click 'Ok', then 'Ok' again to write the changes.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Difficulty with nvidia and bumblebee drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    You could use YaST. Navigate to YaST > Security and Users > User and Group Management. Edit the user concerned, select the 'Details' folder where additional groups can be selected as required. When done, click 'Ok', then 'Ok' again to write the changes.

    Thanks for the assistance, I checked the box next to bumblebee and then had to reboot and now bumblebee shows up when I type
    Code:
    groups

  7. #7

    Default Re: Difficulty with nvidia and bumblebee drivers

    I followed the previously mentioned tutorial to the letter and all of the commands at the end give identical output, but I still have the exact same problem when I try to launch a program using primusrun or optirun.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,704
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Difficulty with nvidia and bumblebee drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by blurrred View Post
    I followed the previously mentioned tutorial to the letter and all of the commands at the end give identical output, but I still have the exact same problem when I try to launch a program using primusrun or optirun.
    After adding the user to the bumblebee group, did you log out and log in again?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Difficulty with nvidia and bumblebee drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    After adding the user to the bumblebee group, did you log out and log in again?
    Yes I did, as well as a reboot. The error is now saying
    Code:
    primusrun glxspheres
    primus: fatal: Bumblebee daemon reported: error: [XORG] (EE) Failed to load module "nouveau" (module does not exist, 0)
    
    optirun glxspheres
    [ 1589.946917] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) Failed to load module "nouveau" (module does not exist, 0)
    
    [ 1589.946965] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.
    I'm not sure why it's trying to load nouveau; I want to use the nVidia driver.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    16,287

    Default Re: Difficulty with nvidia and bumblebee drivers

    Did you install the NVIDIA driver that is recommended in the bumblebee instruction page. I is different then the normal NVIDIA ie i has a patch to make it work.If you installed the normal NVIDIA driver uninstall it via Yast and install the one from the recommended repo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •