Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Login incorrect

Default Login incorrect

I'm using the 64 bit version of 13.1, and am able to log in from the graphical user interface without difficulty. In 12 I was also able to, and not infrequently did, use console login. Since upgrading, my password has never been accepted.
    I've been reading the Start-Up Manual Chapter 17.1, and tried the first way with the same result. It doesn't make any difference if I start logged in to my KDE desktop or first log out, my password is rejected.
    By contrast with http://forums.opensuse.org/showthrea...ogin+incorrect, and ignoring occasions when I suspect a typographical error, my successes and failures have been consistent.
    I can't find a bug report on the subject, so suppose that I am, or my computer is, doing something wrong, but can't think what it could be, so would welcome any advice.
    TIA
    Peter Davis

Default Re: Login incorrect

Do you mean you use the same username/password combination on the GUI login with success and on the CLI login (after doing Ctrl-Alt-F1) which fails?
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Do you mean you use the same username/password combination on the GUI login with success and on the CLI login (after doing Ctrl-Alt-F1) which fails?
    Yes, I do. You imply that they can be set independently, which could be my problem, as I'd supposed that both were set at installation.

Actually, I didn't use [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[F1], either. I used [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[F2].

Quote Originally Posted by peterichardavis View Post
    Actually, I didn't use [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[F1], either. I used [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[F2].
    That should not matter

Yes,. that should not matter, I only want to pinpoint it to a short clear description.

And that one user has only one password. Regardless if you login in the GUI or on the console. That is what you expect. And the same here.

Just a guess.
    Do you have some very specific character(s) in your password? Outside the "normal" ASCII range?
    Henk van Velden

Yes wasn't there a problem with double quotes in a password

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Yes wasn't there a problem with double quotes in a password
    In fact I was thinking about non Latin characters, but " that is also something to study.
    Henk van Velden

My current password doesn't include any punctuation that would stand out in an ordinary page of English, or any double quotes["].
    Peter

The problem is odd. I say since you can log to a GUI log in and change your password in Yast. It maybe will set things right.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast