Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Compiz - Unredirect Fullscreen Window

  1. #1

    Default Compiz - Unredirect Fullscreen Window

    Hi Guys,

    WIth many applications, games, videos, but also scrolling large pages in Firefox, I get some major tearing, often at 2 parts of the screen. Very annoying. This has bugged me for a long time across all distributions, but I think I may have found a solution. To implement it, I need some help as I'm totally new to Suse.

    Link: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=98108

    There are 2 solutions offered, I don't think nr. 2 is viable for a desktop environment but nr.1 involves a setting in Compiz:

    Solution 1: (thanks to chessplayer for pointing this out)

    Enable "Unredirect Fullscreen Window" in Compiz Config Settings Manager.

    An easy solution for this is described in the following thread on ubuntuforums.org. This is actually quite easy.

    In short, what must be done is


    1. Install CCSM (Compiz Config Settings Manager)
      Code:

      sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

    2. Check the option "Unredirect Fullscreen Window"



    For Ubuntu, this option is found in the "General" section of CCSM until 10.10 (Maverick). In Natty (due to Unity), it has been moved to the "Composite" section.
    What I need to know from the Suse gurus is whether I can install and use CompizConfig Settings Manager. I think from the looks of Window Manager Settings KDE is using Compiz, so this setting should be available right?

    Or can I access/set this setting without the use of Compiz Setting Manager?

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Compiz - Unredirect Fullscreen Window

    Quote Originally Posted by AnarKist View Post
    What I need to know from the Suse gurus is whether I can install and use CompizConfig Settings Manager. I think from the looks of Window Manager Settings KDE is using Compiz, so this setting should be available right?

    Or can I access/set this setting without the use of Compiz Setting Manager?
    Which openSUSE version and which Desktop Environment are you using?

    Compiz is quite old and rather unmaintained I think.

    In KDE there are similar options in "Configure Desktop"->"Desktop Effects".
    You can turn off compositing/desktop effects completely on the "General" tab (or by pressing Shift+Alt+F2), the option "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows" is on the "Advanced" tab.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Compiz - Unredirect Fullscreen Window

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Which openSUSE version and which Desktop Environment are you using?

    Compiz is quite old and rather unmaintained I think.
    Yeah, exactly. KDE contains many of the options Compiz offered but I wasn't sure whether it was compiz or Suse's own thing. I figured I'd ask as I didn't want to mess things up.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    In KDE there are similar options in "Configure Desktop"->"Desktop Effects".
    You can turn off compositing/desktop effects completely on the "General" tab (or by pressing Shift+Alt+F2), the option "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows" is on the "Advanced" tab.
    Cool. It's called 'Suspend desktop effects for fullscreen windows'.

    I'll give that a spin!

    Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •