Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: MP3 Playback Codec

  1. #1

    Default MP3 Playback Codec

    I just installed Suse 13.1 and I tried to play some old MP3s and it says I am missing a plugin or codec or something?

  2. #2

    Default Re: MP3 Playback Codec

    Quote Originally Posted by linux_trojan View Post
    I just installed Suse 13.1 and I tried to play some old MP3s and it says I am missing a plugin or codec or something?
    Have a look at this:
    http://forums.opensuse.org/showthrea...allation-Guide
    Desktop : Leap 15.1 | KDE Plasma | AMD Phenom II x6 1035T | 8 GB Memory | Integrated Radeon HD4250 | Ext4
    Laptop: Leap 15.2 | KDE Plasma | Intel Core i5 3rd Gen 3320M 2.6GHz | Intel HD Graphics 4000 | 8 GB Memory | Ext4

  3. #3

    Default Re: MP3 Playback Codec

    Oh sorry I already got it. I fixed it with this link

    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ighlight=codec

    I dont know exactly what I did, I just started installing blindly and POOP it worked. In most distros this is done automatically or its a simple one click affair. Only in Suse does it appear to be brain surgery.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,664

    Default Re: MP3 Playback Codec

    Quote Originally Posted by linux_trojan View Post
    Oh sorry I already got it. I fixed it with this link

    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ighlight=codec

    I dont know exactly what I did, I just started installing blindly and POOP it worked. In most distros this is done automatically or its a simple one click affair. Only in Suse does it appear to be brain surgery.
    no brain surgery involved - the very first thread in the Multimedia section of this forum is a sticky that explains how to get full multimedia support in "one click".
    I'd recommend still having a look at it because if you were just clicking things blindly you are probably gonna run into problems

    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...a-in-One-Click

  5. #5

    Default Re: MP3 Playback Codec

    The item you are referring to is the very first thing I did. And, sir, it is not straightforward. If it is so simple why does that post just ramble on and on and on if all you need is one click? If it is just one click then that post should just say "click this" over. But oh no, you gotta make it hard, I mean after all this is linux, you can be smart without a college degree, just play video games and hack XBOX, oh you are smart.

    I mean watch a video on it? download photos? are you crazy?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    87

    Default Re: MP3 Playback Codec

    as for me, after i did "one-click-install", i did not get the codecs for AAC+. it took me some time to figure out how to get aac support on gstreamer infrastructure.
    but the simple way is to install vlc, vlc-codecs and smplayer. but you should activate the packman repository in before.
    there is another way, using XBMC, but is a bit CPU hungry,

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,664

    Default Re: MP3 Playback Codec

    Quote Originally Posted by linux_trojan View Post
    The item you are referring to is the very first thing I did. And, sir, it is not straightforward. If it is so simple why does that post just ramble on and on and on if all you need is one click? If it is just one click then that post should just say "click this" over. But oh no, you gotta make it hard, I mean after all this is linux, you can be smart without a college degree, just play video games and hack XBOX, oh you are smart.

    I mean watch a video on it? download photos? are you crazy?
    Well, I'm not sure what you were reading but the link I provided only requires two steps.

    Step one says; choose your opensuse version here.
    Step two is to then either click on the big yellow KDE button or the big grey Gnome button.

    This in 99% of cases will give you full multimedia support - especially something as simple as mp3 playback.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,664

    Default Re: MP3 Playback Codec

    Quote Originally Posted by rich1974 View Post
    as for me, after i did "one-click-install", i did not get the codecs for AAC+. it took me some time to figure out how to get aac support on gstreamer infrastructure.
    but the simple way is to install vlc, vlc-codecs and smplayer. but you should activate the packman repository in before.
    there is another way, using XBMC, but is a bit CPU hungry,
    I don't think aac+ comes as native on any operating system (including Windows) and requires a bit of hoop jumping no matter the os.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,317

    Default Re: MP3 Playback Codec

    On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 06:06:02 +0000, linux trojan wrote:

    > The item you are referring to is the very first thing I did. And, sir,
    > it is not straightforward. If it is so simple why does that post just
    > ramble on and on and on if all you need is one click? If it is just one
    > click then that post should just say "click this" over. But oh no, you
    > gotta make it hard, I mean after all this is linux, you can be smart
    > without a college degree, just play video games and hack XBOX, oh you
    > are smart.


    Guys, let's not make this personal. If the procedure in question isn't
    straightforward enough, feel free to make suggestions about what's not
    clear so it can be updated and clarified.

    Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: MP3 Playback Codec

    On 2014-04-01 17:40, Jim Henderson wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 06:06:02 +0000, linux trojan wrote:



    > Guys, let's not make this personal. If the procedure in question isn't
    > straightforward enough, feel free to make suggestions about what's not
    > clear so it can be updated and clarified.


    In an nutshell, the "Sticky Thread: Multimedia in One Click" is seven
    pages long, enough to send any novice running for his life :-)

    You have to point people to a short page with direct "one click" links
    to use, and direct instructions. Short and fast, not to a discussion
    about it.

    The "opensuse-community.org" is an attempt to that, since ages, but the
    page with manual instructions is lost. There are no explanations given
    if you want them. The pages like:

    opensuse-community.org/Restricted_formats/12.3

    have been removed, so the only method available is the one click. People
    like me that prefer to do it manually with zypper can not read about it.

    (which means, by the way, that many links referred to on the sticky, are
    now broken).


    The official and legal info is this other link, by the way:

    http://en.opensuse.org/Restricted_formats

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •